CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Motor Trend June 2003-CL55 top speed 187!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Porcelain Bus
Motor Trend June 2003-CL55 top speed 187!!!

In the June Motor Trend, the CL55 is compared to amongst others the Lambo Murcielago, the Mosler supercar, Z06 Vette, etc. They say it tops out at 187. For such a heavy luxocruiser, that rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only the Lambo was faster.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It Varies
Thumbs up

Impressive
Old 05-21-2003, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 247 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Read it again please,it did not top at 187,it was limited (second stage limiter) to that speed,otherwise it would probably top 200.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It Varies
Talking

Even more impressive

I've personally driven it at 140mph with virually no commotion. It is very stable and feels right at home at these speeds.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very Impressive...

Even more impressive is the fact that the car was hitting it stage II limiter, and had more in it!! The only thing that bothers me is it seems like this car is just a speed toy and thats all. Where is the driving experience and that driver involvment. The suspension is unconnected and floaty, can't feel the road, manual tranny (although expected in this type of car). I just think I would rather be connected and more involved with a car. What happens when this car hits the curves or when there isn't a 3 mile open strectch to let it rip, then it's no fun. Thats why I don't drive one I guess hu?

No disrespect intended, it is a respectable machine!

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Believe me,this car will handle stuff that will make you sh..t your pants before loosing any composure.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:24 PM

Well....

absent- I will take your word for it since I beleive you owned one for a while correct? But I can still say with confidence that it's nowhere near a "canyon carver" and although the ABC suspension is great it's still a luxo cruiser.

The only thing is my other points stand. The fact that I had a CL500 and found it boring to drive around town and although it was a great cruiser car. I just got bored when I was around the city and I didn't have a chance to stretch it out for miles. With my M5 I have the capability to cruise for hours and be very comftorable but also when I am around town I am involved and have so much control over the car, to me this is a real car!

All in all it is a very respectable machine and one that I do find myself thinking about. But then I remember the first set of curves coming at me at 120 mph going towards the beach one saturday afternoon and remember why I don't drive a CL55 and why I drive a M5!:p

Thanks guys.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:32 PM
Almost a Member!

SL65, 05' & Ford GT, 06'
I have owned both a 2001 and a 2002 M5. Great cars, but the CL55 is more comfortable, looks better, is faster and handles almost as well. Unless the course was extremely tight I guarantee you the CL55 would be faster with the average driver.
Just my opinion. Oh yes, I also own a Z8 so I am a BMW man too, but the CL55 rules.
Old 05-23-2003, 10:18 AM

2003 CL55
Although I have not driven or owned an M5, I have owned an '02 C4S, an '02 CL500 Sport, an '03 SL500 Sport (wife's) and an '03 CL55. The 996 is definitely the most satisfying to drive, as is, I am sure, the M5. BUT, the CL55 is in another class from all of the cars that I have owned. It is a totally different car from the CL500 Sport. The ABC is tuned much differently and the power makes the 55 feel 600 or 700 lbs. lighter than the CL500. I realize that on a very tight course the CL55 will lag other sprots cars and probably the M5, but on the road, the CL55 is an engaging car, even if I can't get close to 8/10ths of its capability. It is remarkably easy to drive fast and driver involvement increases with speed exponentially because ABC cannot overcome the laws of physics, as the manuals say. The suspension remains firm and composed in rough corners and the seats are very communicative. No, the CL55 does not fit easily into an enthusiast's mind as a driver's car, especially when compared to sports cars and tuned sedans, but it is. Oh yes, it is also an ultimate luxury coupe--just one that can run with the best sports cars in the world. If one wanted to track a CL55, the weight would be reduced drastically, the power would be increased dramatically, the suspension would be lowered and tightened up and the wheels and tires would be larger. Then the slalom times would be competitive and it would clearly dominate on the straights.
Old 05-23-2003, 11:56 AM

S550 4matic LE
Unhappy

i read online somewhere that the CL55 topped out around 200mph when they took the limiter off. the 65 goes even more but to bad its not coming here it seems nowadays makes like mercedes and AMG are mkaing faster cars and putting incredible amounts of horsepower is basic cars like the SL and S and CL.
Old 05-23-2003, 09:43 PM

Hey Guys....

You all made some very valid points and I am glad that you posted because I enjoyed reading them. The thing for me is I am just not in the mind set right now for an "Ultimate Luxury Car". I would rather we surrounded by stainless steel or carbon fiber and wood trim. I would rather be shifting my own gears and blibbin the throttle than be in an automatic. I dont care how good the ABC suspension is, the car is still heavy and a full luxo cruiser. Although I must admit it is a awesome machine. Also I had to point out that whoever said that it looks better, thats just an opinion.

I also don't understand the comment: "It's remarkably easy to drive fast, but driver involvment increases with speed."

First you say it's very easy to drive fast then two words later say at speed their is a lot of driver involvment?

I guess I agree with C&D or whomever said it: "These are real cars and the ones every enthusiast wants. Sure they get more expensive, but they don't get any better than this."

Note: That quote was taken from a road test with an M5

Thanks Guys.
Old 05-24-2003, 05:37 PM
Almost a Member!

SL65, 05' & Ford GT, 06'
The quote was just an opinion. I'll bet the guy whose opinion it was had never driven a CL55. I have owned both. An M5 for 2+ years and a CL55 for 5 months. I am not a professional driver but I used to autocross and race a Lotus Elan in C production (SCCA) years ago. I have also owned too many Porsches to mention aa well as a few Ferraris. Bottom line, if you ask me whether I would like to own an M5 or a CL55 I would tell you in a NY second that the CL55 rules. Just my opinion. Enjoy the Bimmer!
Old 05-24-2003, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This whole discussion,what is better ,CL or M5 is pointless,
unless you wish to discuss the virtues of a classic car thats no longer in production.
Old 05-24-2003, 07:49 PM

Hey...

RonG- Thanks for the reply and your comments they are definetly valid and I respect them. The bottom line for me is I would rather drive an M5 for reasons that I listed in my previous post. I bet the CL55 is a great car, and I hope I get the chance to drive one!

absent- I think you are correct about the conversation being pointless. It is obvious that we all feel strongly about our cars, I know I am.

Anyways I am glad I had the chance to talk to you guys about this and yes I do appreciate the CL55 a little bit more now!:p

Thanks.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:38 AM

2003 CL55
RonG and AmgBoy
I have had my 03 CL55 for two months and have driven it 3000 miles. I have owned recent Porsches and other recent MB's, also a 740i for winter driving. No, I am not a race driver, as apparently RonG is, but my statement about the driver involvement increasing exponentially would be obvious to anyone who has driven an 03CL55. Although I have not had it to the limit, where it will break away and require very active driver adjustment, it is obvious that ABC cannot overcome the laws of physics. Perhaps you should both reread my post, before jumping to conclusions. Also, I have not driven an M5, but understand taht they are exceptional vehicles. I respect anyone's opinion about cars and especially their particular choice. I only reason that I replyed is to share my opinion, to offer context on the CL55. BTW, AmgBoy, after you drive one for at least a couple of hours, I would be interested in your impressions. Also, just because I own such a spectacular vehicle as the CL55 does not mean that I want to race anyone on the road, even M5's, just that I appreciate the potential of the car and the fun of driving it. If you need to come in first in a car on the road, then this is the wrong forum for you.
As I said in my reply above, the CL55 soes not fit easily in the mind of an enthusiast as a driver's car, until perhaps one drives it for more than a few minutes.