CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

ABC hydraulic fluid spraying out during rodeo, help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CL65 (current), 2001 CL600 (chopped)
ABC hydraulic fluid spraying out during rodeo, help!

Rodeo started at 192 bar, then slowly dropped down to 170, 160, 150....120 bar, then fluid burst/sprayed out somewhere from the pump area. I got scared and shut the car off. Any idea what happened? The car was still running and everything after it happened.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 Challenger Hellcat, 2023 Ram 3500, 2005 E55 Wagon, 2019 GLC63s
Sounds like you blew the pump. Most likely a replacement is in your near future.

R.K.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:56 PM

The car still runs, and suspension works. But I now see tiny little air bubbles in the reservoir every time I run the car.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ch33sehead
The car still runs, and suspension works. But I now see tiny little air bubbles in the reservoir every time I run the car.

Sounds like there is air getting into the system. Probably through the leaky pump.

R.K.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:03 PM

Ugh, I am appalled that a rodeo could hurt the system instead of help. Everything was actually working fine right before. I just wanted to clean the fluid...
Old 12-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Wonder if the pump seal was weak and rodeoing it finally was enough to make it finally give out.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S55K AMG
The rodeo didn't hurt the system, you had a failing pump. Be happy that it started failing there instead of on a family vacation, far from home.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:21 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 S63
Hi,
I just did a ABC full fluid flush during rodeo but when I reversed the car back afterwards, I had fresh hydraulic fluid on the garage floor close to the front of where the engine was. Suspension still works fine and it seems to have stopped leaking, will check in a few hours.
What did you end up replacing on yours when it failed after your rodeo test?

Can anyone explain the amount of fluid on the floor afterwards? I didn't spill during the refresh of fluid.

For those of you who are interested I used two filters and 11 quarts of ABC fluid.
Procedure was this:
Remove all existing fluid from the reservoir with a turkey baster.
Fill-up the reservoir with fresh fluid, and leave the top open.
Removed the return hose from the cap assembly and join a 1/2 inch ID hose to it, long enough to go into a large drain bucket.
Get all cans of fluid prepared - unscrew the tops and pull-out the built-in spout in each can.
Start car and do the rodeo with STAR.
Every time the car height moves an amount of original oil will drain into the bucket and the fluid in the reservoir will go down slightly. Keep the reservoir topped up as it depletes. The fluid from the cans of ABC comes out really slowly so with its upside down, punch a small hole in the can bottom and it will flow much faster.
(be careful now, as when you are done, lay the cans on there sides since you have a hole in the bottom).
Once the return fluid becomes green and almost as clear as the new fluid stop the Rodeo and turn the car off.
Install the first new filter and reassemble the return hose and screw down and seal the system.
Restart rodeo and run twice (15 mins each).
Replace the filter with a new one and top up the level if required.
Thats it.

OK so what's happening to mine? What is causing the fluid on the floor?

Last edited by jnash; 02-12-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jnash
Hi,
I just did a ABC full fluid flush during rodeo but when I reversed the car back afterwards, I had fresh hydraulic fluid on the garage floor close to the front of where the engine was. Suspension still works fine and it seems to have stopped leaking, will check in a few hours.
What did you end up replacing on yours when it failed after your rodeo test?

Can anyone explain the amount of fluid on the floor afterwards? I didn't spill during the refresh of fluid.

For those of you who are interested I used two filters and 11 quarts of ABC fluid.
Procedure was this:
Remove all existing fluid from the reservoir with a turkey baster.
Fill-up the reservoir with fresh fluid, and leave the top open.
Removed the return hose from the cap assembly and join a 1/2 inch ID hose to it, long enough to go into a large drain bucket.
Get all cans of fluid prepared - unscrew the tops and pull-out the built-in spout in each can.
Start car and do the rodeo with STAR.
Every time the car height moves an amount of original oil will drain into the bucket and the fluid in the reservoir will go down slightly. Keep the reservoir topped up as it depletes. The fluid from the cans of ABC comes out really slowly so with its upside down, punch a small hole in the can bottom and it will flow much faster.
(be careful now, as when you are done, lay the cans on there sides since you have a hole in the bottom).
Once the return fluid becomes green and almost as clear as the new fluid stop the Rodeo and turn the car off.
Install the first new filter and reassemble the return hose and screw down and seal the system.
Restart rodeo and run twice (15 mins each).
Replace the filter with a new one and top up the level if required.
Thats it.

OK so what's happening to mine? What is causing the fluid on the floor?

Your system either "burped" some fluid or your seal on your pump is failing.

R.K.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:33 PM

Mine sprayed out because the fluid overheated (and boiled) because the electric fan wasn't working. That blew an o-ring in the control valve in the pump. I replaced the fan and the o-ring and everything's been working fine in the last couple months.

As far as your case, you probably want to get under the car to physically inspect where the leak is actually coming from.

In case you didn't know, Mercedes recommends a new procedure for just filtering out the fluid instead of putting in new fluid. Put a new filter in, run rodeo twice, then put another new filter in.