CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Vibration at 60+ miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Vibration at 60+ miles

There is a vibration at 60+ mph, worst at 70 mph on my 05 Cl55. I'm thinking about having wheels and tires balanced, see if wheels are bent and the alignment. Is there anything else i should look into?
Old 01-06-2012, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 Challenger Hellcat, 2023 Ram 3500, 2005 E55 Wagon, 2019 GLC63s
Start there first. Make sure that they are road force balanced.

R.K.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:02 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
this. vibration at 60-70 and above is sure sign of tire/ wheel problem .

as stated make sure you find a hunter dsp roadforce balancer as an out of round tire will balance fine or a regular high speed balancer, but shake at speeds when subjected to the weight of the car.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by radride
Start there first. Make sure that they are road force balanced.

R.K.
+1

Check the balance on them in their current state as well.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
What type of tires do you have and do you let the car sit for a period of time between driving? I have Michelin PS2's and they will get flat spots under normal tire pressure if the car isnt used frequently. It takes a bit of driving but the tires warm up and it goes away. Also In the past I had a similar issue that was corrected with wheel straightening. It made a world of difference. As others have already said try with road force and normal balancing. If they are having trouble and cannot balance a tire, ask them to let the air out and rotate the tire on the rim away from where the weight is needed, and then try to rebalance.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:07 PM

05 CL65, Ducati 999R
installed new tires/rims in Sept., no vibration, smooth as silk.

8k miles later, and there is a small vibration at 80mph
other speeds are fine

my guess, uneven rear tire wear, from multiple launches with ESP. The tires slip/grab, slip/grab, multiple times, producing uneven tires.

Joe
Old 01-12-2012, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL65
Originally Posted by FRQ FLYR
installed new tires/rims in Sept., no vibration, smooth as silk.

8k miles later, and there is a small vibration at 80mph
other speeds are fine

my guess, uneven rear tire wear, from multiple launches with ESP. The tires slip/grab, slip/grab, multiple times, producing uneven tires.

Joe

8k miles and still launching with ESP????? Shame on you!!!!

I don't know what kind of wheels you have but regardless, I wouldn't be shocked if you had a bent wheel. Getting wheels straighten can be done with the tires on the rims, but it does require a rebalance. I baby my car (when if comes to bumps, pot holes and speed bumps), and still had an issue. I think at the end of the day we often forget that our cars are really heavy. Despite the issues that exist with the ABC suspension I think it does a great job in maintaining ride. With that said unless you drive next to your car, over rough road, you have no idea how much the wheels can be moving up and down without half of it ever transferring to the body for us to feel as the driver. The low pro tires don't help the rims either, but then again it wouldn't be quite the same car with 235/75/15s from my '79 Caddy.

So shut off ESP for launches you will learn to enjoy it and wear your tires more evenly!!!

Trending Topics

Old 01-19-2012, 02:32 PM

2004 CLK 320, 07 Yukon SLT, 05 R6raven
Originally Posted by RaceHorse
8k miles and still launching with ESP????? Shame on you!!!!

I don't know what kind of wheels you have but regardless, I wouldn't be shocked if you had a bent wheel. Getting wheels straighten can be done with the tires on the rims, but it does require a rebalance. I baby my car (when if comes to bumps, pot holes and speed bumps), and still had an issue. I think at the end of the day we often forget that our cars are really heavy. Despite the issues that exist with the ABC suspension I think it does a great job in maintaining ride. With that said unless you drive next to your car, over rough road, you have no idea how much the wheels can be moving up and down without half of it ever transferring to the body for us to feel as the driver. The low pro tires don't help the rims either, but then again it wouldn't be quite the same car with 235/75/15s from my '79 Caddy.

So shut off ESP for launches you will learn to enjoy it and wear your tires more evenly!!!
Noob question ... ESP ?? Traction control ??
Old 01-23-2012, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL65
You got it, its a button in the center of dash that will keep the yellow, triangle illuminated on in the speedo, and it will blink when your tires spin. driver beware!