CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

65/600 V12 TT Turbo upgrade pics inside

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modded CL65
65/600 V12 TT Turbo upgrade pics inside

Hey everyone just thought id snap a few shots and post up some pics of an upgraded 65 turbo versus a stock one with the impeller housings pulled off. The modified one has a 6mm larger turbo wheel with the housing cnc machined out to accept the larger wheel, also a replacement impeller wheel was built and used. Not expecting huge power but hopefully able to put down 700whp with these. Also we are working on another set as we speak attempting to mill out a set of factory 65 turbo unit to hold either a gt30 or gt35 cartridge and retain the factory compressor hosuing cover to keep everything looking stock and able to bolt up to factory everything. Keeping warrantys happy
Attached Thumbnails 65/600 V12 TT Turbo upgrade pics inside-turbo-side-s.jpg   65/600 V12 TT Turbo upgrade pics inside-turbos-frony.jpg   65/600 V12 TT Turbo upgrade pics inside-turbos-top.jpg  
Old 04-12-2012, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
GT30-35 is great idea but i've heard if you reuse the very restrictive oem manifolds it'll cause bad backfiring, you need to open up the airflow on the V12tt manifolds to safely benefit from anything larger than say GT28...

I too have a set of nearly brand new 65 AMG turbs/manifolds/ (wish I could do something w/them, might just end up as wall art alongside my V12 biturbo eng cover) also have a NEW pair of oem IC's perfect for Brabus style quads if I had all the correct plumbing
Old 04-13-2012, 07:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
Is the inlet/outlet pattern sufficiently different from normal designs to prevent swapping the entire unit? I've never really looked that carefully.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Banned

Modded CL65
Originally Posted by Thericker
GT30-35 is great idea but i've heard if you reuse the very restrictive oem manifolds it'll cause bad backfiring, you need to open up the airflow on the V12tt manifolds to safely benefit from anything larger than say GT28...

I too have a set of nearly brand new 65 AMG turbs/manifolds/ (wish I could do something w/them, might just end up as wall art alongside my V12 biturbo eng cover) also have a NEW pair of oem IC's perfect for Brabus style quads if I had all the correct plumbing
I've been working closely with a reputable turbo company thats willing to put in the time and flow testing these items. They have told me that they are very confident that there inhouse gt30 or gt35 cartridges will work in these manifolds after they machine out not only the compressor housing side's but also the impeller side of the manifold to accomidate a larger, lighter, and more efficent impeller and compressor wheels on there cartridges. They are very active in buiding the nissan gtr intergrated turbo setups on stock manifolds and getting close to the 1000hp range, and after having there hands on a set of the 65 turbos and doing all the CAD drawings and mounts to have the turbo units able to be bolted up to there cnc machines that they see a great potential with the units. And to top it off will make less boost pressure but more volume keeping the IAT's lower then stock. Either way only time will tell I added a few more pictures of the stock exhaust manifold size.
Attached Thumbnails 65/600 V12 TT Turbo upgrade pics inside-exh.jpg   65/600 V12 TT Turbo upgrade pics inside-mesue.jpg  
Old 04-13-2012, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 CL65
Very cool keep us updated!
Old 04-13-2012, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Malones Perf.
I've been working closely with a reputable turbo company thats willing to put in the time and flow testing these items. They have told me that they are very confident that there inhouse gt30 or gt35 cartridges will work in these manifolds after they machine out not only the compressor housing side's but also the impeller side of the manifold to accomidate a larger, lighter, and more efficent impeller and compressor wheels on there cartridges. They are very active in buiding the nissan gtr intergrated turbo setups on stock manifolds and getting close to the 1000hp range, and after having there hands on a set of the 65 turbos and doing all the CAD drawings and mounts to have the turbo units able to be bolted up to there cnc machines that they see a great potential with the units. And to top it off will make less boost pressure but more volume keeping the IAT's lower then stock. Either way only time will tell I added a few more pictures of the stock exhaust manifold size.
Very kool! Congratz on taking this platform forward
Old 04-13-2012, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Awesome... looking forward to more information.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,066 Likes on 855 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
And to top it off will make less boost pressure but more volume keeping the IAT's lower then stock. Either way only time will tell I added a few more pictures of the stock exhaust manifold size.
That's what I'm talking about. Keep us in the loop.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:53 PM

2005 CL65
These cars are so heavy that they should at least have 700 rwhp on tap
Old 04-13-2012, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
Very cool to see people apply proven methods from other platforms to ours. Hope it meets their/your expectations. I'm sure your results will only provoke thought to others. Do you have any ideas on the intake end? As of now I really only know of 2 products that exist. Either the scorpion tube setup or the renntech modified stock looking boxes. Both carry a hefty price tag for such simple setups. Then again if they work...I guess some can justify the cost. I'm not quite there yet. Good luck and keep us up to date on the progress.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:09 PM
Banned

Modded CL65
Ill let you guys know as soon as I run this first set on monday or tuesday after tuning. Motors going in tommorow. Also as far as on the intake side im not sure what the limitations are yet of it, but if it is an issue plan on coming up with a solution, as well as with the intercoolers. If stock cant cool adequately I will make a set of larger more efficent ones. Im thinking that they wont be anymore of a hinderence then they currently are though, and want to keep everything stock looking fit and finish so hoping they will suffice. Anyways ive gotten a few PM's with questions im doing this build as r&d on my personal car and were not strictly a performance facillity its not what pays are bills, so if I get something together that works well ill figure out how to duplicate it and pass the savings on!!
Old 04-14-2012, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
2008 Mercedes Benz E63
Are those billet wheels? At this point in the turbo game an oil cooled ceramic ball bearing billet turbo is the only way to go. Remember people are now doing V-Band flange set ups that are much easier to work with then standard T3 or T4 set ups.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/vend...-manifold.html

Is space the biggest issue on these cars? I'd think a twin T4 flange set up with a 1.01 AR would be the way to go on a billet 6267. How high do the 12 cylinders rev? It seems there is a huge lack of technical information about these cars. Seems like you guys are the innovators.

I have a Precision 6262 on my Eclipse and its by far the best turbo I have ever encountered. Its a pump gas/meth car and it sees full boost at about 5300 rpm in a small stock flange. Twin 6262s on a CL would be a bad *** set up. A T4 6262 has made 730+ whp on a 2 liter.

Last edited by layzie12g; 04-14-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:02 PM
Banned

Modded CL65
Hey guys, thought id update some good some bad. Got the turbos and the engine installed on saturday got everything buttoned up put about 5 miles on it logged some IAT's and normal operating temp and ambient at 82 and eveything was inline with before upgrades. Here's what I know so far. The turbos spool incredibly fast not like the stock turbos have much lag but this setup feels instant. Boost rose to 21 and staid there threw a 4 gear pull from about 2400 rpm didnt fall off from 21-20. Okay so getting back rechecked the car top to bottom all looked good no issue's have a rich tune inplace got it on the dyno saturday night. Car made 715rwhp on an overly rich AF's didnt come above 11.8ish. Time for the bad, after the first and only pull around the end of the run I noticed a humming noise and boost fell off around 5300rpms. Revved it up a few times very noticeable hum found coming from the pass side turbo. Pulled off the intercooler and air box found the turbo to be at fault no obvious failure by appearance. Anyways the motors coming back out this week and need to get this set back to the builder and see what exactly happened and how to fix, or improve on what failed. Both turbos are going back incase theres a weak point that needs attention both will be available to them. Either way I knew it wasnt going to be just that easy as bolting up a prototype set and it being without issue in some regard. So next things next while the motors out the other set of manifolds with the gt30 cartridges should be ready within two weeks after final testing, dismantling, inspection, and reassembly is complete. I feel confident in the upgraded set though that was on the car as far as driveability, feel, and power output is concerned and having 100% stock appearance. Next step is see what happened to the passengers side turbo and reasses the issue and hopefully have a permanet fix inplace. In the mean time stay tuned for the more fun upgrade "gt30's" in the stock housings, ill post pics as soon as there in my hand!!

Last edited by Malones Perf.; 04-15-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Hey guys, thought id update some good some bad. Got the turbos and the engine installed on saturday got everything buttoned up put about 5 miles on it logged some IAT's and normal operating temp and ambient at 82 and eveything was inline with before upgrades. Here's what I know so far. The turbos spool incredibly fast not like the stock turbos have much lag but this setup feels instant. Boost rose to 21 and staid there threw a 4 gear pull from about 2400 rpm didnt fall off from 21-20. Okay so getting back rechecked the car top to bottom all looked good no issue's have a rich tune inplace got it on the dyno saturday night. Car made 715rwhp on an overly rich AF's didnt come above 11.8ish. Time for the bad, after the first and only pull around the end of the run I noticed a humming noise and boost fell off around 5300rpms. Revved it up a few times very noticeable hum found coming from the pass side turbo. Pulled off the intercooler and air box found the turbo to be at fault no obvious failure by appearance. Anyways the motors coming back out this week and need to get this set back to the builder and see what exactly happened and how to fix, or improve on what failed. Both turbos are going back incase theres a weak point that needs attention both will be available to them. Either way I knew it wasnt going to be just that easy as bolting up a prototype set and it being without issue in some regard. So next things next while the motors out the other set of manifolds with the gt30 cartridges should be ready within two weeks after final testing, dismantling, inspection, and reassembly is complete. I feel confident in the upgraded set though that was on the car as far as driveability, feel, and power output is concerned and having 100% stock appearance. Next step is see what happened to the passengers side turbo and reasses the issue and hopefully have a permanet fix inplace. In the mean time stay tuned for the more fun upgrade "gt30's" in the stock housings, ill post pics as soon as there in my hand!!
Sounds very promising! Though a bit confusing? Were the upgraded Billet wheels on old k24's the set that's humming? & the GT30's are going in next 2 weeks? Thanks... 715 rwp thru most of the rpm band is huge increase, IE seeing 20-21 psi thru entire curve is what were ALL after

PS if you need another set of AMG turbs to add GT35's to let me know I've got'em

Last edited by Thericker; 04-15-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:42 PM

2005 CL65
Thanks for the updates it looks like you are working hard. I have a few questions. What type of gas did you use? Have you done any upgrades to the transmission? How much power are you expecting from the gt30 set up?
Old 04-16-2012, 12:41 AM
Banned

Modded CL65
Hey guys thanks for staying tuned in for updates! And Ricker to anwser your questions yes the ones I bolted up were the upgraded K24's with cnc machined compressor covers fitted with a 6mm larger diameter and depth billet wheel, with also a different impeller wheel fitted. Thats the set where the pass side has a hum to it, im assumming a bearing was possibly misaligned/installed but dont want to say forsure until its out I take a close look at it and once the builder dismantles and comes up with a repair or upgrade the weak link. And just so everyone knows the turbos were fully rebuilt during the upgrades so will have to see the source of failure. And cjalo, it was on a few months old tank of 93. And yes my tranmission has been upgraded, I have added a few steels and frictions to each gear. So to clear things up while im waiting to see what was the cause of failure or issue with these turbos I will be recieving the other set of turbo's I have out which are being fitted with there gt30 cartridges, if everything works out with that set they assure the 35 cartridges will be able to be fitted just as easily. The only thing that im going to have to do to bolt up either the 30s or 35s is adapt the factory cooler and oil lines to the mate to there cartridges. I planned on running this set of upgraded k24s on my car and get the tuning dialed in and drive it for a while to see how things acted and put the 30's on a friends vehicle and have two sets out in testing, but im going to slap the 30s on my car for now, and put the stock upgrades on his when the problems resolved.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
Hey any updates??? Not that you owe it to us, I'm just interested hahaha...
Old 05-13-2012, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by RaceHorse
Hey any updates??? Not that you owe it to us, I'm just interested hahaha...
He owes it to us.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:18 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
04 CL55, 05 E500S4, 15 BMW i3 REx
Banned
Old 05-13-2012, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,066 Likes on 855 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by OCKlasse
Banned
I guess he did not pay sponsor dues?
Old 05-31-2012, 12:30 PM

Benz
Check it out over here

click here

Last edited by MbModsBlameGame; 05-31-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:38 PM

Benz
Check it out over here.---v12 65 Section on planet supercar

Last edited by MbModsBlameGame; 05-31-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 CL600 2005 745Li
Originally Posted by MbModsBlameGame
Check it out over here.---v12 65 Section on planet supercar
Thanks