CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Heat Exchanger, Pump, and Rear Tank

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W215 V12TT Build by Speedriven, W221 S550 4Matic
Heat Exchanger, Pump, and Rear Tank

Ok Guys,

So in the next coming 2 weeks I will be making a call to SPEEDRIVEN to get started on some go fast mods for the CL. I have been planning this for a while but because of me getting engaged and buying a new place my wallet has been on hold for early Feb. I already got an invoice from SPEEDRIVEN a while ago so I know where I will start with the mods. I just need some feedback from guys that have these mods already.

I already have a SPEEDRIVEN TUNE, I will add the following: Rear Tank, Heat Exchanger, and also their IC Pump. I will do Intercoolers as well but that is closer to MAY.

I know doing the above mods are mainly gonna keep my car cooler and run cooler as the winter months hit, however will there be any HP or TQ gains from this? There is a 1/2 mile race event coming to Chicago on June 1st I want to already have the intercoolers for that. But before thats done I want to see how well the car will do with the mods I decided to go with first. The car has never been to the track yet and most likely will not be until the top mounts are installed and maybe a 100 octane tune is done.

Any input would be great.

PS: my buddy is picking up a 2002 Z06 with a D1 blower with 5lbs of boost making 540rwhp. The messing around **** talk has already started.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:43 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Maybe you should get a set of downpipes.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by shardul
Maybe you should get a set of downpipes.
Did not read much about down pipes yet for my car. Is it a big improvement?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
Congrats on the engagement and good luck with the mods. You should try and go to the track in the spring before all the mods to get an idea of what the car can do before you add additional mods. Also if you wait for summer no matter how much cooling you add you will still be dealing with a higher ambient temp. The best times are ran in the cooler months regardless of cooling mods. I ran my personal best with a Eurocharged ECU/TCU and supplemental HE up front. No trunk reservior, no ice. stock intercoolers, stock air boxes. Biggest thing to realize is your wasting your time at the track without drag radials. Get in on the group buy for an LSD so you can put the power down, otherwise it doesn't matter how much you make!!! You may have to convince your Wife-To-Be that you should have your wedding registry at Bed Bath and Beyond and Speedriven.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:58 PM

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
12' E559
yes. downpipes open the turbos up alotttt. gives them much more breathing room, think of it like that

Originally Posted by kamilclk430
Did not read much about down pipes yet for my car. Is it a big improvement?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 e55 amg
My CL

I got Speedriven Intercoolers, Pump Upgrade, Intakes, Downpipes, TCU Upgrade.

Took a while to get it all, and all hooked up and running smooth.

Sounds like a angry spitfire now and pulls hard and then keeps going harder.

Really really happy now its on the road.

Fried a coil pack on the dyno. Going back to dyno soon now got 2 new coil packs.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RaceHorse
Congrats on the engagement and good luck with the mods. You should try and go to the track in the spring before all the mods to get an idea of what the car can do before you add additional mods. Also if you wait for summer no matter how much cooling you add you will still be dealing with a higher ambient temp. The best times are ran in the cooler months regardless of cooling mods. I ran my personal best with a Eurocharged ECU/TCU and supplemental HE up front. No trunk reservior, no ice. stock intercoolers, stock air boxes. Biggest thing to realize is your wasting your time at the track without drag radials. Get in on the group buy for an LSD so you can put the power down, otherwise it doesn't matter how much you make!!! You may have to convince your Wife-To-Be that you should have your wedding registry at Bed Bath and Beyond and Speedriven.
Good Idea and thanks a lot. You went 10.79 ? What tire/wheel setup and what mods? Car is a beast.

Originally Posted by Blkvip
yes. downpipes open the turbos up alotttt. gives them much more breathing room, think of it like that
100% Right

Originally Posted by bluto
I got Speedriven Intercoolers, Pump Upgrade, Intakes, Downpipes, TCU Upgrade.

Took a while to get it all, and all hooked up and running smooth.

Sounds like a angry spitfire now and pulls hard and then keeps going harder.

Really really happy now its on the road.

Fried a coil pack on the dyno. Going back to dyno soon now got 2 new coil packs.
If you don't mind me asking how much are the downpipes? you can PM me if you would like. Guessing since you fried the Coil Pack no dyno #s. ALso is this on a 65 or a 600?

Thanks

KAMIL
Old 01-29-2013, 10:09 PM

2005 e55 amg
I bought everything as package, so not sure how much downpipes are separtly. The downpipes came with hi-flo cats aswell so my car would legal. It defintly makes huge huge difference to sound, I had already had the rear mufflers removed before i had this done and it sounded ok, but after adding downpipes, hi flow cats and also has hi flow resonators installed- it sounds wicked.

Its a 2003 cl600. It made 670hp at crank ( on New Zealand 95 RON Octane ) before it started running on 6 cycliners.

Will be taking to dyno again soon, It should make 700. I want to get the larger heat exchanger added aswell. I thought it was included in the package but it wasnt. Going to get that installed then take it to the dyno again.

The air intakes change the sound too, you can hear the turbos kinda whistle. They suck in alot or air now.

Tempted to upgrade the turbos too. But Im toold you have to do the transmission then too.

Last edited by bluto; 01-29-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

How much TQ? The intakes are a good thing to have from what I know.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CL600, SL600, Quattroporte, S/C Denali, Turbo M3, H1
Originally Posted by bluto
I bought everything as package, so not sure how much downpipes are separtly. The downpipes came with hi-flo cats aswell so my car would legal. It defintly makes huge huge difference to sound, I had already had the rear mufflers removed before i had this done and it sounded ok, but after adding downpipes, hi flow cats and also has hi flow resonators installed- it sounds wicked.

Its a 2003 cl600. It made 670hp at crank ( on New Zealand 95 RON Octane ) before it started running on 6 cycliners.

Will be taking to dyno again soon, It should make 700. I want to get the larger heat exchanger added aswell. I thought it was included in the package but it wasnt. Going to get that installed then take it to the dyno again.

The air intakes change the sound too, you can hear the turbos kinda whistle. They suck in alot or air now.

Tempted to upgrade the turbos too. But Im toold you have to do the transmission then too.
Can you post a video of your current setup?
Old 01-29-2013, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Bromaguire
Can you post a video of your current setup?
+1
Old 01-29-2013, 11:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CL65
Custom air intake
Speedriven 100octane ecu
Speedriven tcu
Catless down pipes
Supp heat exchanger
Trunk res

My cl65 with the speedriven intercoolers and everything above made 660rwhp
Old 01-30-2013, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL65
Originally Posted by kamilclk430
Good Idea and thanks a lot. You went 10.79 ? What tire/wheel setup and what mods? Car is a beast.

I have 265/40/18 Mickey Thompson drag radials. A smaller 245 maybe be slightly lighter and also provide minimal gearing benefits either should work fine. The thing is with out an LSD it can be difficult and frustrating trying to get both tires to spin. But when they do you can see the results.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...cond-club.html
(time slips on post #23)

My mods were listed above in addition to a cm-30 pump. My Eurocharged tune runs strong and responds well to 100 octane at the track as well. I couldn't be happier with my 1/4 mile times considering my mods and effort I put in to racing.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:02 PM

2005 e55 amg
US Pump Gas

What is the Standard Pump Gas in USA?

Is it 91 or 95 octane AKI? The people getting over 700hp in the USA with their CL's are they using race gas? 100 Octane plus??

Whats the best 1/4 mile time for a CL600 or 65 on pump gas?

The best pump gas here in New Zealand is 95 Octane RON. Im only interested in power and speed with pump gas, as this is my daily driver.

Going to take it to the dyno within next month and will video it.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL65
The standard octane here is 93 and only 91 in many places. Most people try to get to the track with a minimum amount of gas and add a few gallons of 100 octane to try and get a little more out of the car. I don't know if you will find a 1/4 mile time labeled as a pump gas run as opposed to a race gas. However you may find it on dyno numbers if someone is looking to compare.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok so the car is in the shop and ready this coming friday. I got my GoPro ready for some videos for you guys since I went with the catless downpipes. I also did IC Pump, Rear Tank, and Heat Exchanger. I will be going to the track as soon as it opens and have 245/45/18 drag radials ready. I will go with intercoolers and intakes as soon as I get to see dyno #s before they go on. I will also run 100octane at the track.