CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Sponsor Racing Brake available soon for CL55!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Sponsor Racing Brake available soon for CL55!

I have used the RB solution on my Acura Legend and my NSX. Both are still in service, and RB has more patents. Unsprung weight is a real benefit! Another is that the rear e-brake is preserved for safety.

I am going to be the guinea pig for my 05 CL55 so I will report back. Just in time for Lime Rock.

See the Group Buy thread for more info. Sorry my posting skills are bad.

http://="https://mbworld.org/forums/...#post5566266"]

SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by grane

Warren,
Here is what I have been able to find about the CL55 and the S55. All the brakes appear to be one piece designs. The brakes that fit the CL55 will fit other models as well!

Front Brake
MB part number 220-421-19-12
Fits MB cars:
03-06 CL55 AMG
03-06 S600 V-12
03-06 S55 AMG

Dimensions in mm:
Diameter: 360.00
Thickness: 36.00
Overall height: 77.00
Hub hole diameter: 67.00
5 bolts

Weight is approximately 38 lbs. It is used with 4 brake pads.

Rear Brake
MB part number 220-423-09-12
Fits MB cars:
03-06 CL55 AMG
03-06 S55 AMG

Dimensions in mm:
Diameter: 330.00
Thickness: 26.00
Overall Height: 61.00
Hub hole diameter: 67.00
5 bolts
I am not sure about the weight.

Grane

According to our research, the same front (360x36) and rear rotor (330x26) are good from 2001 up to 2006, until 2007 when the rotor sizes changed to 390x36 front and 360x26 rear which we already made available.

We have the discs and will make the hats for these earlier models, with 6-8 weeks lead-time.

Weight info:

Front OE 1pc = 37 lbs, RB 2pc = 22 lbs (estd.) Save 15 lbs/rotor
Rear: OE 1pc = 21 lbs, RB 2pc = 13.5 lbs (estd.) Save 7.5 lbs/rotor

Total weight waving per car (for 4 rotors) = 45 lbs

We also like to make our excellent street (ET) and track (XT) pads available to go with these two piece rotors to enhance the overall performance.

Last edited by grane; 03-04-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G350 Bluetec
Bump.

See the review under the ML63 thread.

These are an excellent product. Warren is very smart.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G350 Bluetec
Enroute and in stock!

My RB front and rear brakes are on the UPS truck. I expect them early next week. I am going to use them with stock AMG pads.

BTW RB has made up a production run of these fitments so they are available for immediate delivery.

For more info search on the S55 thread. As Warren predicted there is a huge savings in unsprung weight over stock rotors. Also, they were shipped on schedule, and they just charged my credit card today!

If you have any tech questions contact Alex at RB.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:54 PM

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
12' E559
price on rotors?
Old 05-15-2013, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G350 Bluetec
Suggest contact RB and state you are MBWorld member

Originally Posted by Blkvip
price on rotors?
http://www.racingbrake.com

There is a group buy on for MBWorld that, I believe, is deducted when you check out or call Kristin the finance person at the company to verify the price. Cust. Service also knows about the Group Buy.

Please tell them that "the first buyer from MBWorld" sent you!
Old 05-23-2013, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G350 Bluetec
Received on schedule and installed Part 1

Hey guys,

The RB solutions arrived on Tuesday last as promised. They were well-packed and came with instructions!

The technicians who installed them were proud to do so. They remarked at the innovation of the design and the precision of fabrication. One said "This is the way brakes should be made."

Although we did not measure the weight differential it was substantial even compared to worn rotors. BTW AMG calipers (and probably disks) on the CL55 are made by Brembo as the pictures will show when I get a chance to post them. New MB pads were installed; these are made by TRW BTW. Wheel bearing were given a clean bill of health. I had the alignment checked after install just to be on the safe side.

I am breaking them in per instructions but my initial impressions are that they are a substantial improvement in stopping power over the stock disks. The car also seems a bit more "light on its feet".

I would recommend them without reservation. I am happy with my choice.

Last edited by grane; 05-23-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:40 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
04 CL55, 05 E500S4, 15 BMW i3 REx
Pics? Price?
Old 06-07-2013, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 535i 5 speed
Very interesting, it's great that they shave so much weight. Definitely putting putting these on the list for when I pick up a w220 or 215. Do you feel an increase in stopping power?
Old 06-07-2013, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G350 Bluetec
YES

Originally Posted by BenzBoy12
Very interesting, it's great that they shave so much weight. Definitely putting putting these on the list for when I pick up a w220 or 215. Do you feel an increase in stopping power?
I have only a few hundred miles on the RB/new pads. The new MB/AMG brake pads sourced from TRW are better made that the original Pagid/Brembo pads. If you look at the TRW website their pads have a special compound that increases stopping power but have their own "break-in" requirements.I am finding the system is just now leaving the "break-in" or "seasoning" phase. Just because you "bed in" the pads according to the RB instructions you still need a few hundred miles to get the system fully seasoned. After I hit that milestone the system definitely exceeded my expectations; it was transformational. It's like comparing a broadsword to a rapier.

Although during general driving it seems like seat of the pants measurements there is no question the increase in stopping power is prodigious. I can brake much later than I could with the original set up with much better pedal modulation. To test this, I have a particular place where I had to make an emergency stop in my NSX several years ago (I had RBs on the rear only.) With the RBs, after safely testing that same stop under similar operating conditions I would compare the stopping distance of the CL to that of the NSX.

With the stock AMG setup I would have slid way past the stop point into the danger zone. Note that I had the same Michelin PSS tires on the old brake setup also. Handling precision and comfort also seem to have increased.

Last edited by grane; 06-07-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 535i 5 speed
Originally Posted by grane
I have only a few hundred miles on the RB/new pads. The new MB/AMG brake pads sourced from TRW are better made that the original Pagid/Brembo pads. If you look at the TRW website their pads have a special compound that increases stopping power but have their own "break-in" requirements.I am finding the system is just now leaving the "break-in" or "seasoning" phase. Just because you "bed in" the pads according to the RB instructions you still need a few hundred miles to get the system fully seasoned. After I hit that milestone the system definitely exceeded my expectations; it was transformational.

Although it is a seat of the pants measurement there is no question the increase in stopping power is prodigious. I can brake much later than I could with the original set up with much better pedal modulation. I have a particular place where I had to make an emergency stop in my NSX several years ago (I had RBs on the rear only.) With the RBs, after safely testing that same stop under similar operating conditions I would compare the stopping distance of the CL to that of the NSX.

With the stock AMG setup I would have slid way past the stop sign into the danger zone. Note that I had the same Michelin PSS tires on the old brake setup.
Very good to hear. Sounds like a must-have for anybody that really wants to enjoy driving their car. Interesting point about breaking in the pads too. Also, always good to talk to someone with an NSX, definitely one of the most under-rated cars ever made. Can't believe I had never heard of this company before, but it sounds like their products are solid.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by OCKlasse
Pics? Price?
How do I post pics? Use "Insert Image"?

Check with RB for MBWORLD GB price via PM or call them. They actually have a real office/accounting person as well as an informed customer service person!