CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

All you guys with coil pack issues have been misled!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 CL65
All you guys with coil pack issues have been misled!

I started my CL65 up last week and it felt like it was running on 6 cylinders and the CEL came on. Knowing the V12TT was plagued with coil pack issue I had it towed to the dealer rather than dumping fuel through the engine. Upon inspection they noticed the gas gauge had just hit the low fuel warning light and somehow they calculated that there was only 4 quarts of fuel. They added $40.00 in fuel and Voila it ran like a champ. When I asked them how low fuel would discriminate between one bank of cylinders and not the other the tech said he doesn't know. I said that's because it cant, its the coil pack. He said the problem was fixed and they would not replace my coil pack. They also couldn't fix a whining noise coming from either the power steering or ABC pump. Their recommendation was to drive it.

Drive it I did. On a business trip to Chi town I started my car and guess what? Well I drove straight to the closest gas station and added 3 gallons of gas to an almost full tank and I'll be a monkeys uncle if the engine didn't start running better.

All you buys had to do was stop and add a little more gas to the tanks.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:53 PM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
'08 CL65
Never let mine get that low.........when my packs were replaced, it was comfirmed they needed to be replaced via the computer.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:02 PM

2008 CL65
Originally Posted by xabo
Never let mine get that low.........when my packs were replaced, it was comfirmed they needed to be replaced via the computer.

How did the computer confirm they needed to be replaced? Misfire codes for the entire bank of cylinders?
Old 04-25-2014, 08:12 PM

'08 CL65
Car was connected to computer, car was diagnosed, coil packs need replacement, packs were replaced, problem solved.

By your experience with the stealer, they will not replace them if not needed.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:23 PM

2008 CL65
Car was connected to computer, car was diagnosed, coil packs need replacement, packs were replaced, problem solved.

By your experience with the stealer, they will not replace them if not needed.
Yes, that is exactly the process they used to incorrectly diagnose my problem.
Im pretty sure by "hook it up to the computer" all they do is pull the codes. Based on the codes they are probably given a logic flow table of common problems which can cause these codes. Obviously my dealer chose to beleive that the low fuel could somehow cause the entire bank of cylinders to misfire.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:30 PM

'08 CL65
Yeah but, compared to your situation, my fuel tank was full.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:32 PM

'08 CL65
Any chance you can pull the numbers on your coil packs?
Old 04-25-2014, 08:36 PM

2008 CL65
Yeah but, compared to your situation, my fuel tank was full.
Explain to me how the fuel level can possibly affect one bank of cylinders please.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:38 PM

'08 CL65
Originally Posted by JRockey
I started my CL65 up last week and it felt like it was running on 6 cylinders and the CEL came on. Knowing the V12TT was plagued with coil pack issue I had it towed to the dealer rather than dumping fuel through the engine. Upon inspection they noticed the gas gauge had just hit the low fuel warning light and somehow they calculated that there was only 4 quarts of fuel. They added $40.00 in fuel and Voila it ran like a champ. When I asked them how low fuel would discriminate between one bank of cylinders and not the other the tech said he doesn't know. I said that's because it cant, its the coil pack. He said the problem was fixed and they would not replace my coil pack. They also couldn't fix a whining noise coming from either the power steering or ABC pump. Their recommendation was to drive it.

Drive it I did. On a business trip to Chi town I started my car and guess what? Well I drove straight to the closest gas station and added 3 gallons of gas to an almost full tank and I'll be a monkeys uncle if the engine didn't start running better.

All you buys had to do was stop and add a little more gas to the tanks.

Perhaps you can explain it to me.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:42 PM

2008 CL65
Perhaps you can explain it to me.
Obviusly you missed my satire. The problem was resolved when the engine warmed up.

If you read my post you can see that the condition was exhibited a few days later with nearly a full tank of gas. How could anyone who undertands how a fuel system works possibly believe that low fuel was the problem to begin with?
Old 04-25-2014, 08:45 PM

'08 CL65
Glad you got your car fixed with little to no cost to you.

Ny comments were based off of YOUR satire.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:47 PM

2008 CL65
Any chance you can pull the numbers on your coil packs?

Yes, I can get the coil pack numbers tomorrow.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:56 PM

2008 CL65
Glad you got your car fixed with little to no cost to you.

Ny comments were based off of YOUR satire.
The car did not get fixed, the problem is still there it is just intermittent. I remember reading a few other guys noticed this as the coil packs were dying. I honestly believe it is just a matter of time before the coil pack dies all together.

My original post was poking fun at the dealer, not the guys that had coil pack issues
Old 04-25-2014, 09:02 PM

'08 CL65
The car did not get fixed, the problem is still there it is just intermittent. I remember reading a few other guys noticed this as the coil packs were dying. I honestly believe it is just a matter of time before the coil pack dies all together.

My original post was poking fun at the dealer, not the guys that had coil pack issues

Yeah....I got that. I actually was verifying your argument......albeit in my own way, based on my experiences.

I had the left bank replaced 2 years ago with: A275 150 07 80 Q3

I had the right bank replaced 2 months ago with: A275 150 06 80 Q4

Hope this helps.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
Yeah....I got that. I actually was verifying your argument......albeit in my own way, based on my experiences.

I had the left bank replaced 2 years ago with: A275 150 07 80 Q3

I had the right bank replaced 2 months ago with: A275 150 06 80 Q4

Hope this helps.
XABO, don't waste your breathe.....your are a stand up guy, a gentlemen kindly entertaining someone who still thinks the earth is flat... The older coils have been proven to fail otherwise why were they updated??? Many situations occured with some not all or one misfire scenarios. There are other things that cause misfires, and to come here and state with a great deal of certainty that low fuel levels are the cause is just crazy.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:14 PM

2008 CL65
Originally Posted by RaceHorse
XABO, don't waste your breathe.....your are a stand up guy, a gentlemen kindly entertaining someone who still thinks the earth is flat... The older coils have been proven to fail otherwise why were they updated??? Many situations occured with some not all or one misfire scenarios. There are other things that cause misfires, and to come here and state with a great deal of certainty that low fuel levels are the cause is just crazy.
Lmao, now you know how I felt when the dealer told me it was a fuel issue.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W215 V12TT Build by Speedriven, W221 S550 4Matic
Lmao, now you know how I felt when the dealer told me it was a fuel issue.

No offense to you friend but that was your issue with the car, not everyone else's. We have not been misled in any way. The coils on these cars do go out, just because you run a low fuel level does not mean that the issue is with fuel.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W215 V12TT Build by Speedriven, W221 S550 4Matic
Originally Posted by RaceHorse
+1
Old 04-26-2014, 09:49 PM

2008 CL65
Originally Posted by kamilclk430
The coils on these cars do go out, just because you run a low fuel level does not mean that the issue is with fuel.
Which is exactly why I gave the dealer that look. I made it clear that low fuel would not cause misfire codes in just one bank of cylinders. My original post was poking fun at the dealer, no one else. I thought everyone would catch on that the problem went away because the engine warmed up, obviously i was amiss.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
couple of Benzos
WOW so all this time V12 guys were changing coils pack and spending thousands of $$$ for no reason when all they had to do is put a few gallons of gas in their tanks....... damn Mercedes and Dealerships for "Stealing" money from your poor V12 customers how dare you....
Old 04-28-2014, 08:47 AM

2008 CL65
Originally Posted by AndreNY
WOW so all this time V12 guys were changing coils pack and spending thousands of $$$ for no reason when all they had to do is put a few gallons of gas in their tanks....... damn Mercedes and Dealerships for "Stealing" money from your poor V12 customers how dare you....
Finally someone who gets it. Lol