CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Front Clunk Bump On Uneven Pavement (cobblestone)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 08:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CL55
Front Clunk Bump On Uneven Pavement (cobblestone)

I was in a historic part of town the other day that has cobblestone streets and noticed a lot of clunking coming from the driver front wheel. I'm hoping this isn't new strut time.

I have noticed quicker sagging lately in the front end resulting in "car too low do not drive" (this used to take 6-8 hours to happen and now it's more like 2) which is easily resolved by pressing the height increase button. I attributed this to a valve block needing rebuilt which I've been meaning to do. I don't know if the two are related. The car drives fine over normal surfaces from what I can tell.

I recently replaced all of the forward control arms. Upper and lower. All new front ball joints are also new.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts
2006 S600
Is there any play in the strut bottom bush?

Any play in the wheel bearing?

Nick
Old 03-21-2016, 01:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CL55
Originally Posted by Welwynnick
Is there any play in the strut bottom bush?

Any play in the wheel bearing?

Nick
Bottom bush? Do you mean the tapered stem of the ball joint attaching the strut to the control arm?

The lower ball joint was just replaced a couple months ago and I don't believe there is any play in it. However, I have not inspected it since I replaced it so it is possible. I have also repaired the upper bush within the last few months using a 10mm sheet of rubber cut to fit per a write up I found on the forum.

As for the wheel bearing, there is a little play in it but not too terribly much. I do, however, experience some humming when turing into that wheel that sounds like it could be bearing noise. It only happens at low speeds from what I can tell and only when steering in that direction.