CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Hooking up an iPOD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 11:52 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL55
Hooking up an iPOD

Has anyone tried to hook an iPOD into the Command System or any other MP3 player? I dont see any AUX button on the Sys that is why I am asking.

As well, is there a Fire Wire Port anywhere in the car? If so, I believe I can have it rigged somehow.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E55TK, '00 Brabus/Kleemann 5.8 GCab, '05 CLK DTM
I want to do the same thing so...

please keep me/us updated if you figure it out.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:41 PM

2003 CL55
I have an iPod in my CL55. There is a mini headphone jack in the glove box connected to the AUX input to the stereo. You can access the AUX input by pressing the SVC button on your dash (why it's there I don't know). I laso ran power to the glove box and put the remote control for the iPod in the ash tray. It all works great.

Mark
Old 03-08-2004, 06:24 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 CL55
I just brought my car to dealership for service and asked him about any FireWire ports or USB. He claimed there werent any.

When I get the car back tomorrow, I am going to look for the jack you mentioned. So all you need is a "male to male" cord correct?

Cant wait to try it out.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2004, 07:35 PM

2003 CL55
I bought a car power adapter from Belkin. It has a mini headphone output jack on it which is what I connected to the mini jack on the glove box (yes, just a male to male connector). I did it this way because the remote control that I ran to the ashtray uses the headphone jack from iPod. Note that these things work only with the newer iPods.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:32 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 CL55
Well I hooked it up as you had mentioned....great idea. Now just a few questions...

1 - where did you connect the power supply to?

2 - What is the little black cap that is next to the headphone jack in the glove compartment used for?

3 - I wonder if there is a way to get the digital readout from the iPod on the Command System - basically as a video function if nothing else (not a question)

4 - What settings did you put on your iPod output when attaching to a car - I put none as opposed to Rock or Small Speakers - seemed to sound the best although its not quite great.

5 - Do you know of any mounting kit that we could use to mount the iPod to the dash somehow? would make searching a lot easier than looking down...haha

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E55TK, '00 Brabus/Kleemann 5.8 GCab, '05 CLK DTM
if you bought the Belkin unit...

doesn't it plug into the cig. lighter for power?
Old 03-18-2004, 11:16 AM

2003 CL55
I ran power from the cigarette lighter to the glove box. It's easy to do. The little black plastic cap you referred to covers a screw that holds the glove box in. I removed the glove box and the ash tray, tapped into the power lead for the cigarette lighter and then added a cigarette port in the glove box. You can buy these at any radio shack. That way everything is in the glove box but it's still easy to move the iPod in and out.

It's something that a stereo installer could do really easily. I'll try and post a photo of how I installed the remote later. Of course this would all be a lot easier if there were a kit to integrate an iPod into the main system like there is for the new Volkswagons. But for now this seems to do the trick.

Mark