CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Oh how good it is to be back in my CL65!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
Oh how good it is to be back in my CL65!

A little background. My third Aeroforce interceptor gauge quit working last winter, so I didn't realize I had no A/C until about mid May when it finally gets warm enough here in Alaska to be able to notice. The car had seemed a bit sluggish, but without the Aeroforce Gauge I had no way to see my IAT's were out of control. What difference does that make? Well, I deleted the front heat exchanger when I put in the Killer Chiller, so no A/C = no intake charge cooling.

Anyway, I took it to a buddy's shop and they confirmed I had no refrigerant in the system, checked for leaks, it held vacuum and pressure, so they recharged it. Power was back and so was my cold A/C, for about 2 weeks and again no A/C because it lost all the refrigerant again. Still couldn't find the leak. Added dye a few times and it would loose pressure over time but neither they nor I could find the leak. Finally about mid June I found it. The valve that controls refrigerant flow for the Killer Chiller's drag option was leaking slowly. This is my second of these valves to fail BTW. So, as I didn't plan to drag race the car regularly anymore I decided to remove the valve/drag kit and replace all of the lines and fittings that came with the Killer Chiller that are held together with regular hose clamps with proper A/C rated permanent clamp style fittings.

Went to see another buddy who works at the only place locally that sells that type of fittings with the hoses off my car. We figured out what it would take to do it right, but the T fittings are not an item they stock so we ordered them....... in June..... Well, there was a problem with the supplier and in the end I finally got all the pieces to finish the car yesterday. Got it all put together last night. Taking it to get the A/C recharged today, hopefully for the last time ever.

So, I finally drove it to work this morning even without refrigerant, only about 5 miles to work, and oh how I've missed the CL! While the CL was down I bought a new truck (F350 dually 4WD 6.7L PSD) and modded it (a lot) including delete and tuned it. On the Rampage tune it it over 1,300#' of torque and about 650 hp. It feels amazing, for a truck. But OH THE JOY OF DRIVING A MODDED CL65! I have missed this car!

I haven't been on this site at all as I've been focusing on getting all the mods I wanted done to the truck so have been on the truck and diesel forums. Anyway, I'm back. Now time to decide what I'm going to do about an IAT gauge so I never loose track of keeping an eye on those IAT's again. The Areoforce was nice as I could see boost, IAT's, and a lot of other parameters not otherwise easily monitored, but A CL65 has enough reasons to be unreliable and I don't want another gauge that fails almost annually. Wish there was a reliable option to add the ability to monitor multiple things with only one gauge.

Last edited by Dr Matt; 09-27-2018 at 01:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Nate Shanks (04-26-2020)
Old 09-27-2018, 04:19 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
cl65
I'm surprised to hear about your issues with the Aeroforce gauges. I've had those on my Terminator Cobra for about 10 years and never really had a problem. In regards to those gauges, where are they mounted? Any pictures? Was this a kit you bought made for the CL or something you put together?

In regards to the Diesel truck, I know what you mean. My Dodge Cummins truck has so much torque it is a real beast. I sometimes wonder if something like the CTS2 gauge system for the diesels would work on the CLs. It gives you a nice big screen and the ability to monitor many items at one time.

Anyways, glad to have you back on the forum.
Dr Matt (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 04:54 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
'06 SL65
Originally Posted by Dr Matt

So, I finally drove it to work this morning even without refrigerant, only about 5 miles to work, and oh how I've missed the CL! While the CL was down I bought a new truck (F350 dually 4WD 6.7L PSD) and modded it (a lot) including delete and tuned it. On the Rampage tune it it over 1,300#' of torque and about 650 hp. It feels amazing, for a truck. But OH THE JOY OF DRIVING A MODDED CL65! I have missed this car!
Thanks for the feedback on the killer chiller. I envisioned the issues you are having while I looked at their kit. This is one of the reasons I have not pulled the trigger on the KC.

It's hard to explain to someone who has never driven an M275 what it feels like. Puts a smile on my face every time. BTW, enjoy that truck! My daily driver is a tuned and deleted F250, as well. I don't think I can go back to anything with less than 600hp, again.
Dr Matt (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
Originally Posted by WikedV12
I'm surprised to hear about your issues with the Aeroforce gauges. I've had those on my Terminator Cobra for about 10 years and never really had a problem. In regards to those gauges, where are they mounted? Any pictures? Was this a kit you bought made for the CL or something you put together?

In regards to the Diesel truck, I know what you mean. My Dodge Cummins truck has so much torque it is a real beast. I sometimes wonder if something like the CTS2 gauge system for the diesels would work on the CLs. It gives you a nice big screen and the ability to monitor many items at one time.

Anyways, glad to have you back on the forum.
I put a dual Aeroforce setup in my Lightning back in 2006 and they are still working fine too, not sure what the deal is with the Mercedes killing them. It are mounted where my ash tray went, along with the drag kit switch, my line lock arming switch, and inputs for my Pioneer NEX. When the door is closed it all looks stock. I've posted pics before but can't find them so I'll take some new ones for you. Going to try a setup that will put the extra "gauges" displayed on my Head unit from my phone. I'll see how that works out and post up results.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
Originally Posted by PrecisionEngine
Thanks for the feedback on the killer chiller. I envisioned the issues you are having while I looked at their kit. This is one of the reasons I have not pulled the trigger on the KC.

It's hard to explain to someone who has never driven an M275 what it feels like. Puts a smile on my face every time. BTW, enjoy that truck! My daily driver is a tuned and deleted F250, as well. I don't think I can go back to anything with less than 600hp, again.
So far the Killer chiller has been awesome, except for the failure of that valve which is only present with the Drag kit. I did have to figure out that when it is cool outside the A/C doesn't cycle on my CL unless you turn on the defroster. Sucked being at the track on a cold day in the fall looking for a PB and my IAT's were higher than on a hot day in mid summer. Missed out on running PB because I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working until too late.

Truck pic taken right after unloading the new race car I'm building at the shop that is doing my 8.50 cert chrome moly cage. This car's HP number will not be a 3 digit number...

Last edited by Dr Matt; 09-27-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:50 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
'06 SL65

So far the Killer chiller has been awesome, except for the failure of that valve which is only present with the Drag kit. I did have to figure out that when it is cool outside the A/C doesn't cycle on my CL unless you turn on the defroster. Sucked being at the track on a cold day in the fall looking for a PB and my IAT's were higher than on a hot day in mid summer. Missed out on running PB because I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working until too late.

Truck pic taken right after unloading the new race car I'm building at the shop that is doing my 8.50 cert chrome moly cage. This car's HP number will not be a 3 digit number...

Very nice, Dr. Matt. Enjoy!!
Dr Matt (09-27-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,071 Likes on 859 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Nice to hear you are back in your car Dr Matt.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65

Hey Matt, glad to see you are getting to enjoy your 65 after such a long wait. Maybe missed, but its obvious you have a few other toys to keep you pre-occupied. It's hard to think hose clamps would be a long term solution for the Killer chiller. Sounds like you are going about it the right way. Is there any other way to improve the drag kit valve to something a litte more leak proof? I think it works well in your climate, but I think the compromise in summer driving without full air would be tough for me in New York. Either way, glad to see ithe killer chiller working for you.

Do you have a datalogging setup? Not the same as a boost gauge, but you could see your IATs. I should but I don't.

As far as the Fairmont, I thought stock they dyno around 95WHP. Its crazy to think the HP won't be a 3 digit number I guess it depends on the engine option. I would have thought a K&N would have got you close to another 6HP. You go from one extreme to the other, you must be something to talk about in Alaska. Mercedes race car, brand new high powered modded truck and a low powered Fairmont "fuelie". Wheel skirts, soft acceleration and lots of coasting will really help with your MPG. Also, the tires look too wide in the back.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:16 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 CL65 AMG / Eurocharged ECU/TCU tune / Weistec meth injection + Weistec BOVs.
A little background. My third Aeroforce interceptor gauge quit working last winter, so I didn't realize I had no A/C until about mid May when it finally gets warm enough here in Alaska to be able to notice. The car had seemed a bit sluggish, but without the Aeroforce Gauge I had no way to see my IAT's were out of control. What difference does that make? Well, I deleted the front heat exchanger when I put in the Killer Chiller, so no A/C = no intake charge cooling.

Anyway, I took it to a buddy's shop and they confirmed I had no refrigerant in the system, checked for leaks, it held vacuum and pressure, so they recharged it. Power was back and so was my cold A/C, for about 2 weeks and again no A/C because it lost all the refrigerant again. Still couldn't find the leak. Added dye a few times and it would loose pressure over time but neither they nor I could find the leak. Finally about mid June I found it. The valve that controls refrigerant flow for the Killer Chiller's drag option was leaking slowly. This is my second of these valves to fail BTW. So, as I didn't plan to drag race the car regularly anymore I decided to remove the valve/drag kit and replace all of the lines and fittings that came with the Killer Chiller that are held together with regular hose clamps with proper A/C rated permanent clamp style fittings.

Went to see another buddy who works at the only place locally that sells that type of fittings with the hoses off my car. We figured out what it would take to do it right, but the T fittings are not an item they stock so we ordered them....... in June..... Well, there was a problem with the supplier and in the end I finally got all the pieces to finish the car yesterday. Got it all put together last night. Taking it to get the A/C recharged today, hopefully for the last time ever.

I haven't been on this site at all as I've been focusing on getting all the mods I wanted done to the truck so have been on the truck and diesel forums. Anyway, I'm back. Now time to decide what I'm going to do about an IAT gauge so I never loose track of keeping an eye on those IAT's again. The Areoforce was nice as I could see boost, IAT's, and a lot of other parameters not otherwise easily monitored, but A CL65 has enough reasons to be unreliable and I don't want another gauge that fails almost annually. Wish there was a reliable option to add the ability to monitor multiple things with only one gauge.
Have you considered adding water meth injection? It does a great job of cooling intake temps and it's a easy system to install / maintain. Probably more reliable and less complicated than a KC. I have the weistec kit installed on my CL65 and it added 45 RWHP without tuning the car for meth.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,071 Likes on 859 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by dgibs
Have you considered adding water meth injection? It does a great job of cooling intake temps and it's a easy system to install / maintain. Probably more reliable and less complicated than a KC. I have the weistec kit installed on my CL65 and it added 45 RWHP without tuning the car for meth.
Post the before and after dyno. Would love to see.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
Originally Posted by RaceHorse
Hey Matt, glad to see you are getting to enjoy your 65 after such a long wait. Maybe missed, but its obvious you have a few other toys to keep you pre-occupied. It's hard to think hose clamps would be a long term solution for the Killer chiller. Sounds like you are going about it the right way. Is there any other way to improve the drag kit valve to something a litte more leak proof? I think it works well in your climate, but I think the compromise in summer driving without full air would be tough for me in New York. Either way, glad to see ithe killer chiller working for you.

Do you have a datalogging setup? Not the same as a boost gauge, but you could see your IATs. I should but I don't.

I had been using a Aeroforce Interceptor gauge to watch IAT's, but have switched to a DashCommand setup as I had 3 of the Aeroforce gauges fail between my Lightning (1) & my Mercedes (2). As far as the Killer Chiller in a hot climate, I think the CL has enough cooling capacity to do fine even in a hot climate since we have the same A/C system as an S65 which has a second evaporator for the rear seat.

As far as the Fairmont, I thought stock they dyno around 95WHP. Its crazy to think the HP won't be a 3 digit number I guess it depends on the engine option. I would have thought a K&N would have got you close to another 6HP. You go from one extreme to the other, you must be something to talk about in Alaska. Mercedes race car, brand new high powered modded truck and a low powered Fairmont "fuelie". Wheel skirts, soft acceleration and lots of coasting will really help with your MPG. Also, the tires look too wide in the back.
You misunderstood about the HP for the Fairmont. It is going to be 4 digits, not a 2 or 3 digit # (>1,000Hp). Wheel tubs and custom coil over rear suspension along with the narrowed 9" are going to allow even bigger rear tires on the Fairmont.

Last edited by Dr Matt; 12-07-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
Never considered it. I wanted something that just works all the time without requiring any maintenance. Hopefully that's what I now have, lol.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
Crap

Well that didn’t take long this time. The dreaded multiple ABC faults are back. This time I’ve double checked the battery, cleaned the terminals, checked the ground and where the main positive cable goes under the passenger foot well, tried a different battery, even tried adding an extra ground cable. Car drives perfect under normal throttle, but as soon as I hit it hard in the lower gears I et a red ABC warning & suspension goes into float mode. If I turn off the car and restart it the red warning is gone and it rides normal. Hook up the SDS & I get this again.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:58 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Benz
Somewhere the chassis can signal is getting interrupted during hard acceleration. Time to just trace wires and check for chaffing. Let me ask you an off the walk question, do you have factory spark plugs? I had a shop years ago put in some colder plugs in a 600 I had. I was running nitrous at the time. The car would go into all sorts of limp modes and erroneous codes under hard acceleration due to the plugs having a different resistance then the OE ones. It was causing much electrical interference in my situation.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
hi, hope you get it worked out. if i remember correctly i think pmercury and shiv sikand had this problem. i think there was a wire on top of the engine that had a kink, or a fray in it and hard acceleration would cause a similar problem. i think the wire was on the passenger side near the top of the engine. could it be another bad solenoid at one of the valve blocks? i think you have experienced that before. hope this helps. i will do further research to see if i can find anything else. hope things work out soon and you and your family have a wonderful holiday season. the best, harv
Old 12-14-2018, 04:57 PM
NRL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CL65, FJ80, Sportsmobile 4x4, Model X Plaid

Do you have the partno to the weistec kit you installed?
Thanks
Old 12-16-2018, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL65
Sorry to hear of your new headaches..Any luck tracking down the problem? Did you happen to notice any fuses blown? Did you recently do other work that would have required you to unplug anything? ABC control module? I hope you get it sorted quickly.

BTW, I kinda knew the direction you were going with HP on the Fairmont, I was just attempting to be funny.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
Originally Posted by 1ForcedBenz
Somewhere the chassis can signal is getting interrupted during hard acceleration. Time to just trace wires and check for chaffing. Let me ask you an off the walk question, do you have factory spark plugs? I had a shop years ago put in some colder plugs in a 600 I had. I was running nitrous at the time. The car would go into all sorts of limp modes and erroneous codes under hard acceleration due to the plugs having a different resistance then the OE ones. It was causing much electrical interference in my situation.
Lots of wires to try and trace. Stock plugs with about 20k miles on them.

Originally Posted by biker349
hi, hope you get it worked out. if i remember correctly i think pmercury and shiv sikand had this problem. i think there was a wire on top of the engine that had a kink, or a fray in it and hard acceleration would cause a similar problem. i think the wire was on the passenger side near the top of the engine. could it be another bad solenoid at one of the valve blocks? i think you have experienced that before. hope this helps. i will do further research to see if i can find anything else. hope things work out soon and you and your family have a wonderful holiday season. the best, harv
I've looked at wiring under the hood and all seems fine, including where he showed a frayed wire near the passenger strut tower. TBH I have no idea where the issue is at this time, I suppose it could be a valve block solenoid, but ??? Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

Originally Posted by RaceHorse
Sorry to hear of your new headaches..Any luck tracking down the problem? Did you happen to notice any fuses blown? Did you recently do other work that would have required you to unplug anything? ABC control module? I hope you get it sorted quickly.

BTW, I kinda knew the direction you were going with HP on the Fairmont, I was just attempting to be funny.
No blown fuses. Only thing I did recently was the new Killer Chiller hoses. Going to be hard to sort as it isn't anything very obvious when physically looking around at the wiring. We have been getting a lot of snow lately with more coming down and more in the forecast so no chance of finding any pavement in the next couple weeks either. I tried running the tests for all of the components throwing codes listed above, but it isn't very dynamic in that you just have the SDS showing individual component values and push the car back and forth, side to side, or up and down by hand and watch those values. They should change within a specified range, and they all did when I tried those tests. It doesn't look like I can datalog and record those values with my SDS as I drive, unless that is possible and I just don't know how to do it. Only plan I could come up with was to drive with the suspension values showing on the screen and use a video camera to record what happens for review after the problem occurs. However, who in the world could hold a laptop and video camera steady enough to do that in a CL65 when the driver is slamming the throttle open? I'd have to rig up some sort of bracket to hold the camera rigidly to the computer screen...
Old 12-16-2018, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
By the way, thanks guys for all the suggestions! I really do appreciate all the ideas you have posted and welcome any more you maight want to suggest, especially if it involves figuring out how to datalog the ABC sensor values.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
Hey Racehorse, 325’s under the Fairmont....
Old 12-18-2018, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL65
Nice! I guess power plus gears will need some tire. Now get back to sorting your 65.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65

Yeah, just too busy working and snow plowing lately to mess with the CL. This weekend I'm going to dive back in to finding the problem. Looks like the snow is going to stop falling for a while... hopefully.

Last edited by Dr Matt; 12-19-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL65
I couldnt even open that photo in the garage. My CL65 would have easily broke a drive train part just thinking about a sticky tire of that size.
Dr Matt (12-20-2018)