CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

V12TT intake tubes: RaceHorse Version

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
V12TT intake tubes: RaceHorse Version

As I mentioned in another thread, I was working on a 4" diameter intake setup, utilizing the stock radiator openings. Beginning at the turbo with 2.25" diameter and going to 4" right away. The radiator openings fit a 3.75" to 4" reducer on the passenger's side and a 3.5-4" reducer on the driver's side. I will update with new pics, the portion beyond, right behind the grille, once that is complete. That will end up with 4" silicone flex to two K&Ns. I have made a grille that sits flush with the outermost portion of the hood to allow for better air to the filters and to house larger filters. After cutting the back of the stock grille to accommodate the filters that I have, its still not enough. With the grille I have made I could use a cylinder filter instead of a tapered cone type which may help a bit. At this point the grille needs a finished opening around the hood release and hardware to attach, so its not ready to leave the garage. All in all, the car really pulls hard, even with the stock grille pressing against the filters and reduced airflow compared to the one it will eventually have. Another thing I may do is get another carbon fiber engine cover to modify and fit.

Driver's side

The grille in progress.

Passenger side

Old 08-05-2014, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
OK, I think I'm going to have to copy your grill idea this winter. I didn't really plan to run my CAI all the time due to that clearance issue for filters, but I think you are on the right track with a mesh grill that matches the lower grills.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CL65
Nice! Can't wait to see track results this winter with new mods

Esp after adding trunk res....

Last edited by 02cl55amg; 08-06-2014 at 04:39 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W215 CL65
Really cool stuff!
Old 08-06-2014, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W215 V12TT Build by Speedriven, W221 S550 4Matic
Nice set up, really looks great and should get some nice colder air in there. Let us know how it does at the track.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
SLK55 AMG - Renntech Supercharged
I think you're on to something with the custom grille and CAI. I look forward to seeing both finished products. Nice work.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:40 PM

2005 CL65
Yes great work.. This is going to be a winter project for me for sure.. Sadly my 9500Ci jammer and detectors are mounted right in that area (I may be able to make the filters work but will need to experiment with them).. Also I toyed with the idea of creating custom air intake boxes with square filters (possibly modifying airboxes from a stock car).. Once I get all my intake parts in I will play around with filters and see if I can make them work (although I would really like to do intake boxes and large square/rectangular filters)..

What material did you use as your grill insert and how do you open your hood?
Old 08-06-2014, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL65
Originally Posted by Dr Matt
OK, I think I'm going to have to copy your grill idea this winter. I didn't really plan to run my CAI all the time due to that clearance issue for filters, but I think you are on the right track with a mesh grill that matches the lower grills.
Go for it, I think you will enjoy.

Originally Posted by 02cl55amg
Nice! Can't wait to see track results this winter with new mods
Esp after adding trunk res....
You are the friend at the bar saying do another shot, come on, do one, one more. No plans for the track at this point but cooler weather may result in an impulsive decision.

Originally Posted by adamls2
Really cool stuff!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by kamilclk430
Nice set up, really looks great and should get some nice colder air in there. Let us know how it does at the track.
Thanks, I will share for sure if I go, no promises as of now.

Originally Posted by Grip Grip
I think you're on to something with the custom grille and CAI. I look forward to seeing both finished products. Nice work.

I hope so, little by little, it will eventually be complete.

Originally Posted by eaks
Yes great work.. This is going to be a winter project for me for sure.. Sadly my 9500Ci jammer and detectors are mounted right in that area (I may be able to make the filters work but will need to experiment with them).. Also I toyed with the idea of creating custom air intake boxes with square filters (possibly modifying airboxes from a stock car).. Once I get all my intake parts in I will play around with filters and see if I can make them work (although I would really like to do intake boxes and large square/rectangular filters)..

What material did you use as your grill insert and how do you open your hood?
As you realize the cars don't offer a lot of space and options. The thing with a modified stock air box is that you still are limited to the inlet size and the tubing that sits on top of the turbo. Also, I think the cone filter will offer more surface area in comparison to flat square filters. If an alternative box is placed is in front of the radiator it will block much more air then going around a cone or cylinder filter. It is still a good idea to cool the fluids.

As far as the grille, it is a similar material to the lower grilles, but its just much thinner. Its a galvanized metal lath. I had to cut an opening in it to allow access the hood release. I will be finishing off the opening then either applying several coats of paint or sourcing a place to plastic dip. This will add some rigidity to match the look of the lower stock grilles. I may consider putting a stock emblem on, but it will depend on how it looks. The way it is, it looks like a picture on a car wax label, not advertising any automaker. LOL
Old 08-06-2014, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Excellent work bud! Wherever did you get the idea?
Old 08-07-2014, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL65
Originally Posted by Thericker
Excellent work bud! Wherever did you get the idea?

What can I say, I'm a good listener? Maybe GREAT dane MINDS think alike. It was a commitment, and so far worth the effort. A mild 75 degree afternoon made for some nice pulls today. You've mentioned it in so many posts. Everyone seems to get so caught up in cooling that they have no idea the power that can be gained with getting air in and out without generating so much extra heat, trying to push the air out the cats. Certainly a must for downpipes.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by RaceHorse
What can I say, I'm a good listener? Maybe GREAT dane MINDS think alike. It was a commitment, and so far worth the effort. A mild 75 degree afternoon made for some nice pulls today. You've mentioned it in so many posts. Everyone seems to get so caught up in cooling that they have no idea the power that can be gained with getting air in and out without generating so much extra heat, trying to push the air out the cats. Certainly a must for downpipes.
Yup.. It was my 1st mod 6 odd yrs ago to try & create a better CAI. Took me a couple more trial and error designs + fully testing a single tube early version Scorpion & lastly the full Scorpion before I snapped & made the latest design about 2 yrs ago.. Enjoy the power & fetch a new record personal best in your 65

Edit: What did she put up on the dyno or down the 1320' today?

Last edited by Thericker; 08-07-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CL65

You are the friend at the bar saying do another shot, come on, do one, one more.
I WILL be that friend.....
Old 08-11-2014, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL65

So here are are few pics of the grille. It works great, giving the maximum in space behind it with little to no filter blockage. It also has a finished trim to allow for the hood release. However, it's really not my style or what I care for the car to look like. I will be getting more rigid black flex to help mute things but in the end I don't think it will be on the car for long. In case you anyone is wondering, I wasn't trying to hide anything with the towel, just trying to prevent tiny hardware from falling into hard to reach cavities. PM me an offer if you really want it that bad.

Last edited by RaceHorse; 08-11-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:25 PM

2005 CL65
Where did you pickup the grill? Or if you are getting a new one care to ship that one to me? lol..
Old 08-11-2014, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Nice... Chicken Wire grill Dual perpous here folks, if you ever need to house a chicken or 2 overnite? I kid I kid.. Tho someone p-chop this into his grill lol..
Old 08-12-2014, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL65
Originally Posted by eaks
Where did you pickup the grill? Or if you are getting a new one care to ship that one to me? lol..
I made it!! I'm not giving it up that easily, unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse.

Originally Posted by Thericker
Nice... Chicken Wire grill Dual perpous here folks, if you ever need to house a chicken or 2 overnite? I kid I kid.. Tho someone p-chop this into his grill lol..
Not quite chicken wire, but thin...stop being a male chicken all the time...lol...I will say I'm thinking of putting another layer of mesh or screen on the inside that may make things less noticeable, thanks for the pic to inspire me.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:58 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
i wish the W220 S class had so much room in the front
Old 08-12-2014, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL65
Originally Posted by shardul
i wish the W220 S class had so much room in the front

They saved it for the back seat where the CL doesn't have leg room. I know the SLs are tight I though you may have a little room to do something.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
I made it!! I'm not giving it up that easily, unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse.

Not quite chicken wire, but thin...stop being a male chicken all the time...lol...I will say I'm thinking of putting another layer of mesh or screen on the inside that may make things less noticeable, thanks for the pic to inspire me.
if you hunt around the scrap yards and the sale section you can find the lower mesh grill from amy bumpers. thats what i used for my 32 custom grill and it matched perfectly
Old 08-12-2014, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL65
Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
if you hunt around the scrap yards and the sale section you can find the lower mesh grill from amy bumpers. thats what i used for my 32 custom grill and it matched perfectly

That makes sense, no trouble matching when its the same material... I'll have to check to see if the lower bumper mesh will be tall enough. Thanks
Old 08-12-2014, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo

Touche' good sir.. I was thinking the same add 1-2 more layers possibly rattle can them matte blk
Old 08-13-2014, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W215 V12TT Build by Speedriven, W221 S550 4Matic
any pics of the car a bit further away to see how the grille looks?
Old 08-13-2014, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL65
No, sorry... I ended up taking it off. I may add to it so its not so transparent. There is another pic up towards the top of the thread when I was first test fitting it.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL65

This is a much more rigid 4" diameter flex that I found from Pegasus Auto. Its a neoprene rated for 300 *F which should be fine on this side of the radiator.

I ended up making a 3.75" ovaled ring attached to a flat piece of metal scribed to the same shape as the stock radiator openings. Then I removed the top bolts and used them to hold the flat portion with the opening in place against the plastic of the radiator. With the 4" flex already attached to the oval ring portion, I used high temp silicone to seal and adhere the metal to the plastic/radiator from the inside since the only fastener was the one up top.

I should have taken more pics, but I don't get as much garage time as I'd like. Hopefully the verbal description makes some sense.
Attached Thumbnails V12TT intake tubes: RaceHorse Version-img_20140904_164704.jpg  
Old 01-19-2015, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL65
intake tubes off the car

There were a few people asking about the silicone elbow sizes I used for my setup so I thought I would update with a list and a picture. I hope that helps. Don't ask for other shots since they are on the car. LOL

Drivers side starting at the turbo:
2.25-2.25 45 deg
2.25-4" straight reducer
4" 90deg
4" 45deg
4" coupling
4" to 3.5" 45 deg

Passenger side starting at the turbo:
2.25-4" 45deg
4" 90deg
4" coupling (to extend straight)
4"-3.75" 45 deg
The following users liked this post:
euphoriaDSM (08-11-2016)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V12TT intake tubes: RaceHorse Version