CLA 45 AMG (C117) 2013 to 2018

Weistec Engineering Released the CLA45/A45 Downpipe and Midpipe!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by AWD
$1795 is Inconel Money, not 304 Stainless.
Hell, these can be made in high grade titanium for WAY less than that.

Sorry to be so rash, but this is the absolute truth. I'm sure my post will probably get deleted because they are a sponsor. But hopefully they get the message. Price gouging your customers is not a cool practice.
First off you could not get that pipe and sheild produced in inconel or ti for $1795, if you think it's that easy maybe you should go into business for yourself selling Inconel systems for $1700. I always love posts like yours, you act as if they are producing parts for Fox body 5.0 Mustangs that they are building hundreds or thousands of units to sell in the Summit Racing or Jegs catalog. You forget about all the engineering and R&D that go into something like this. You forget about the half dozen or so prototype units that they probably designed(I'm guessin), built and tested before they got to the final design. It boils down to amortazation, a company like Stainless Works that develops headers for GM and Ford has the same engineering and development costs as Weistec does on a set of headers however Stainless works gets to spread their development costs over 1000 sets of Mustang Cobra headers where Wesitec may only sell 200 sets of SLS headers. Bottom line they are in business to make money, if they were "gouging" customers as you say I doubt they would be in business and growing at the pace they are. Furthermore if somebody could do it for significanly less they would be. Would you rather pay $1500 for these parts from some Johnny come lately fly by night tuning company or $1795 from Wesitec who is proven and built the fastest Mercedes in the world??? I know which way I would go. You want to see "gouging" take a look at Renntech or Brabus' website and price list lol. Are Weistec's parts cheap....nope, but they are not gouging anyone and furthermore the AMG's they build parts for are not cheap either. When I purcahse a Weistec product I know I am getting something that has been well engineered, street, dyno and track tested and proven and I know it is the best product available on the market.

As for you thinkning Weistec would get upset at your comments and have them deleted, they would never do that either. They listen to any and all customer feedback and welcome it. If they had a way to knock their prices down 20% they would gladly do so, having more of their stuff in customers hands and on the street and tracks and people posting the record times using Wesitec products just benefits them.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C32 AMG
Old 08-04-2014, 05:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
03 Lexus IS300 (old faithful) / 91 3000GT VR-4 / 14 CLA45 AMG / 11 BMW X6M
Originally Posted by dblock110
it seems as tho forums have turned into the new kickstarter, funding the develop of products instead of selling them.

even big names such as weistec are using forums as their kickstarter platform.

terrible.
****ING HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD! I am extremely dissatisfied with every vendor I have gone through EXCEPT for ARMA. I was told that my down pipe shipped a couple times. The person works on my car is extremely limited with time and I scheduled an appointment assuming my DP had shipped...unfortunately it didn't and I had to pay an extra 150 to have it shipped before saturday. SMH I sell twenty dollar bottles of preworkout supplements and my service is a thousand times better than these companies that charge an arm and a leg for parts.

Last edited by jamesyot; 08-04-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLA45 AMG
That sounds pretty mean
Old 08-05-2014, 03:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E63S AMG, 2003 SLK 230 Sport, 2004 SL 600, 2006 SLK 55 AMG, 1998 E320 Wagon
$1795 is too rich for my blood. Not for the results you get. I'll keep waiting for BenzWorks. Same goes for the intake.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:59 AM

C32 AMG
ya it honestly is like 20% too high for me
Old 08-05-2014, 09:44 AM

If the DP isnt here by Friday I am canceling the order.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jrcart
I was out at Weistec a little over a week ago, they took me for a spin in their CLA45 test mule, the car is VERY impressive. Not exactly sure what all was done to the one I rode in but it was a night and day difference over a stock CLA45. The stock CLA45 has a little lag and delay when you stomp the pedal, the Weistec car is like a light switch and you feel the power NOW! Keep in mind this is coming from a guy with 800-1200 AMG's....I was VERY impressed that they can make that much power with a 4 cylinder. I am on the list for one of the AMG factory built CLA45 race cars, as soon as I take delivery of it will be getting shipped off to Weistec for some extra love. I was on the fence about the CLA45 race car but after seeing what Wesitec has done with these cars I am sold.
That is saying a lot of praise coming from the "King of M156s."
Old 08-07-2014, 03:06 PM
AWD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBZ
First off you could not get that pipe and sheild produced in inconel or ti for $1795, if you think it's that easy maybe you should go into business for yourself selling Inconel systems for $1700. I always love posts like yours, you act as if they are producing parts for Fox body 5.0 Mustangs that they are building hundreds or thousands of units to sell in the Summit Racing or Jegs catalog. You forget about all the engineering and R&D that go into something like this. You forget about the half dozen or so prototype units that they probably designed(I'm guessin), built and tested before they got to the final design. It boils down to amortazation, a company like Stainless Works that develops headers for GM and Ford has the same engineering and development costs as Weistec does on a set of headers however Stainless works gets to spread their development costs over 1000 sets of Mustang Cobra headers where Wesitec may only sell 200 sets of SLS headers. Bottom line they are in business to make money, if they were "gouging" customers as you say I doubt they would be in business and growing at the pace they are. Furthermore if somebody could do it for significanly less they would be. Would you rather pay $1500 for these parts from some Johnny come lately fly by night tuning company or $1795 from Wesitec who is proven and built the fastest Mercedes in the world??? I know which way I would go. You want to see "gouging" take a look at Renntech or Brabus' website and price list lol. Are Weistec's parts cheap....nope, but they are not gouging anyone and furthermore the AMG's they build parts for are not cheap either. When I purcahse a Weistec product I know I am getting something that has been well engineered, street, dyno and track tested and proven and I know it is the best product available on the market.

As for you thinkning Weistec would get upset at your comments and have them deleted, they would never do that either. They listen to any and all customer feedback and welcome it. If they had a way to knock their prices down 20% they would gladly do so, having more of their stuff in customers hands and on the street and tracks and people posting the record times using Wesitec products just benefits them.
Jrcart,
Metal is metal. Doesn't matter if its being bent for a CLA45 or a Toyota Prius. You act like they are producing parts for a 1954 Ferrari GTO. The cost of the metal and materials doesn't change because of the application its going on. Weistec's metal supplier is not going to charge them additional because its going on an AMG Mercedes. I realize you are in bed with Weistec, so I do not expect anything less, but for you to defend the company that helps with your own personal cars. My point was, $1795 is definitely alot of money for simple downpipes for Mercedes' ENTRY level car. These downpipes are not hard to manufacture, they are not hard to R&D....we are talking 40 inches of metal pipe. Its not rocket surgery, it's just bending pipes.

And yes, once the jigs are made, ordering up Inconel tube and/or titanium tube would be of similar cost to what they are asking for these 304 Stainless.
I'm only knocking on their price, I'm not knocking on their product, as it does look nicely made, and most likely will produce good results.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:57 AM

Downpipe goes on tomorrow......
Old 08-08-2014, 11:23 AM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by jamesyot
so you got yours ? good share all info!

i expect a new thread tomo!
Old 08-08-2014, 01:34 PM

So are you saying the customer has to pay for the R&D work and the prototype parts? Have you ever heard the term you have to spend money to make money? Thats all on Wiestec, the customer is simply paying for the product, R&D work plus prototype parts did not come on my DP invoice.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLA45 AMG
Aren't you glad you waited. Post up vids for sound comparison. Also curious if you can feel any difference with the butt dyno
Old 08-10-2014, 10:13 AM

C32 AMG
weistec can you comment on long this install should take ?
Old 08-10-2014, 01:17 PM

weistec can you comment on long this install should take ?
They told me 2-1/2 hours for a decent mechanic or non-mech with good skills. No lift required and no cutting required.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

........... Thats all on Wiestec, the customer is simply paying for the product, R&D work plus prototype parts did not come on my DP invoice.
Oh boy..... So, you don't think that R&D costs gets spread out over X amount of units?

Last edited by Sincity; 08-20-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sincity
Oh boy..... So, you don't think that R&D costs gets spread out over X amount of units?
So the price is going to go down once that R&D cost is paid off? Doubt it. I wasn't even complaining about the price of this downpipe since I was the first person on the east coast to buy it. Im not cheap and I will pay for quality and service.

I work for a supplement company where we spend tons of money testing products. Once the final product is made we charge the customer for the product. What we spent on R&D is spending money to make money in the future.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:00 AM

C32 AMG
for a company like weistec - r + d is a FIXED cost that is probably very stable throughout the year. and very predictable year after year. there are already people doing r+d as its built into the business model.

does it affect the price of this SPECIFIC product? no

it affects the price of all weistec products :-)
Old 08-24-2014, 06:48 PM

BTW this downpipe will throw a code. CEL just turned on.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:32 PM

BTW this downpipe will throw a code. CEL just turned on.

WTF! Sorry to hear this, very disappointed. Scan it and call them with the code. All I can say is put a spacer on the sensor, IMO that's the only way to work it. Or ghetto rig and crimp the end of the sensor, but you risk the sensor failing if you don't get it right. I never liked their answer that they didn't move it out of flow, they just repositioned it.

Let us know what their response is.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:42 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
So the price is going to go down once that R&D cost is paid off? Doubt it. I wasn't even complaining about the price of this downpipe since I was the first person on the east coast to buy it. Im not cheap and I will pay for quality and service.

I work for a supplement company where we spend tons of money testing products. Once the final product is made we charge the customer for the product. What we spent on R&D is spending money to make money in the future.
R&D is ALWAYS included in the price of any company that would like to stay in business.

You're saying that your supplement company simply marks up the raw materials and does not take R&D cost into consideration when pricing the product? There's no way. You'd go out of business.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:00 AM

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts
'15 C63S
So much for their R&D.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What was the code?
Old 08-25-2014, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Sincity
What was the code?
cat efficiency
Old 08-25-2014, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by G55K
R&D is ALWAYS included in the price of any company that would like to stay in business.

You're saying that your supplement company simply marks up the raw materials and does not take R&D cost into consideration when pricing the product? There's no way. You'd go out of business.
Well unlike Weistec we compete with hundreds of other companies selling similar products so we need to keep our prices low. But I really don't want to get this thread too off topic.

I am sure Weistec will help me fix this CEL issue. No worries

The good stuff....

4th Gear Pulls on the highway This ***** pulls all the way to 7k RPMS and does not run out of breath!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Weistec Engineering Released the CLA45/A45 Downpipe and Midpipe!