CLA 45 AMG (C118) 2019 to Present

Throttle lag

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43
Throttle lag

Hello, I haven’t seen anyone talk about this nor did I see any threads. My car has a little over 1k miles and I’ve noticed a distinct throttle lag. It can be very recognizable in first gear when pulling out into an intersection, almost dangerous. I thought perhaps this was due to comfort mode during the break in period but just as noticeable in other drive modes as well. I also was shocked that race mode wasn’t worlds apart from comfort mode. It was actually quite the let down. Has anyone else experienced this? I don’t think a tune would really help as I’ve seen this is just purely a timing and response issue from pedal to computer. Do I really need a sprint booster on a brand new AMG? I came from a “non amg” c43 that did not have this issue at all.
Old 07-28-2022, 11:29 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Merc
Your C43 was naturally aspirated... that's why you're probably feeling a difference in throttle responsiveness at low RPM's. Just push the pedal harder... lol
Old 07-28-2022, 11:39 AM

C43
Hey Crester, thanks for the response. Believe me I don’t have a problem hitting the gas but that really doesn’t relieve the issue that there is delay from peddle to actual acceleration no matter how hard you mash.
Old 07-28-2022, 12:40 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Merc
Hmm... you should probably get the car checked to see if there's something wrong then. With my car I notice a bit of delay in engagement... and I realized it was not the engine but the transmission that was the delay. But it's not that big of a deal on my car for it to be considered dangerous. Something I started doing is to ease in to the throttle slightly to get the transmission to engage and then press harder to take off.
Old 07-28-2022, 06:06 PM

C43
Thanks again for the response. I’ll bring it in to the dealer just to verify. Maybe you are correct in that the transition from the c43 is just going to take some getting used to.
Old 07-28-2022, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,765 Likes on 2,517 Posts
2019 C63CS
That is normal unfortunately with this car. Small displacement engine paired with a large turbo to make the power, equals big turbo lag. I just came back from Germany where I attended an AMG performance training at the Nürburgring. One of the cars we hooned around on an Autocross circuit was the A45S. Fun little go-kart, but horrible turbo lag off the line. Just doesn't get going until the boost finally kicks in. Definitely not my cup of tea coming from the V8 biturbo, which hauls off like a fright train the moment you step on the throttle.
Old 07-28-2022, 06:48 PM

C43
Hello there, yeah it was shocking to me coming from the c43 which I stated above just took off. I was pretty bummed when this thing was just a dog off the line. I’m going to see if the sprint booster will be able to help to cut down on the delay from the throttle. I saw a guy put one on a 700 Hp charger so goes to show it has nothing to do with power.
Old 07-28-2022, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,765 Likes on 2,517 Posts
2019 C63CS
I don't think sprint booster will do anything. AMGs generally don't have a delay in the throttle pedal itself, especially in the sportier modes and RACE. The delay is all in the turbo needing to spool up. The engine by itself being a 2.0 liter 4 banger just doesn't have any oomph until there is boost. For this engine to make 400 hp it needs a large turbo, which unfortunately also has big inertia, so it takes longer to spool up. The turbo is also mounted on the side with longer piping. It's a fundamental architectural problem of the engine. The V8 biturbo uses two smaller turbos with very short piping nestled inside of the hot V and because the engine by itself has double the displacement it doesn't need boost to get off the line quickly. You just simply won't get this experience with a tiny engine like this. As they say, there is no replacement for displacement even in the age of turbo charging everything. What's gonna change this is the new electric turbo charger that AMG is now fitting to upcoming models such as the new C43 and C63.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-28-2022 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-28-2022, 08:43 PM

C43
Thanks for the explanation.