CLA 45 AMG (C117) 2013 to 2018

2014 CLA 45 AMG blown engine with no warning at 42k miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 06:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 CLA 45 AMG
Angry 2014 CLA 45 AMG blown engine with no warning at 42k miles

I was driving my 2014 CLA 45 AMG at around 75 mph not even running it hard and it started smoking and squealing (there was no check oil, over heat, or etc lights on or warnings given). Pulled off the road within 10-20 seconds of this starting. Opened the hood and everything looked fine thought A pulley froze up or etc. Had it towed to a local shop (the closes Mercedes dealer is 203 miles away from me) they found nothing wrong with the pulleys or serpentine and noticed the oil was almost empty. Had the car transported to the closest Mercedes dealer which Its currently sitting at the Mercedes dealership in Albuquerque. The week before I called and told them everything that happened and scheduled an appointment for the monday after we dropped it off. When it was dropped off we gave the keys to what I assume was the general manager, owner, or etc since he left in a Porsche 911 after this and also told him what had happened and he saw us tow it in. I called the dealer ship near the end of the day that monday and asked what they found. they asked for me name and everything and couldn't find me in the system so they connected me to a service guy who said oh the blue cla 45 amg that whines really loud when started? the service personel that I talked to the week before apparently didn't put my appointment and information in the system. Also the guy it was dropped off to also did not inform anyone that there was no oil in the car... The service tech calls me a couple hours later and tells me that the engine threw a rod and will be 39k to fix!!! the next day I called mercedes corporate and put in a request for a goodwill repair or for the dealership to fix my car since it is possible they are the ones that blew the engine by starting it and possibly trying to run it into the garage with no oil. Supposed to hear back monday or tuesday on what mercedes will offer if anything. If not i'm going to have to declare bankruptcy since I have a $38k loan on the car and definitly can't put another 39k in it. anyone heard of an engine blowing in one of these so suddenly or even at all? any advice for me? Anything would help.

Last edited by breezejr5; 05-18-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
No, every one that's blown up has been from outside impact or something of that nature. Contact your insurance company, they will fix or total it if it was damaged.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:09 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
2011 E550 Coupe, 1992 Corvette ZR-1, 1991 368ci ZR-1, 1990 ZR-1, 1987 Callaway TT, 05 SL600, CLA45
No Coverage under a standard insurance policy for a blown engine, only if you have an extended service contract with companies that sell that coverage
Old 05-18-2018, 08:46 PM

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
Benz
Did the oil leak out or you had oil changed somewhere that didn't put any in?
Old 05-19-2018, 02:17 PM

2014 CLA 45 AMG
Originally Posted by knowbenz
Did the oil leak out or you had oil changed somewhere that didn't put any in?
As far as I can tell it burnt up, last oil change was a couple thousand miles ago it was half way through a oil change cycle. No oil on the road where it happened or where it was parked waiting for the tow truck.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:13 PM

2014 CLA 45 AMG
Update for everyone that cares. Called Mercedes corporate and was told they are still looking into it and they should know something by the end of the week. I'm not that confident in their executive referral manager division, Emmanuel told me to call him if I had any questions when this was first all set up last Tuesday and I haven't been able to get a hold of him since at his extension when I call customer service they message him through Skype and he just tells them he has no update when I ask for an ETA he just says some vague time in the future like by the end of the week or last Friday it was Monday or Tuesday...
Old 05-25-2018, 04:53 PM

2014 CLA 45 AMG
Another update. Mercedes has decided they aren't going to cover anything they aren't even going to discount the repair, so I am royally screwed... I have no clue what to even do now.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:31 PM

2011 E550 Coupe, 1992 Corvette ZR-1, 1991 368ci ZR-1, 1990 ZR-1, 1987 Callaway TT, 05 SL600, CLA45
What did they say was the source of the oil loss, I would find an used motor...they are out there, and have tested and installed. Or if its contained to a rod, etc have it pulled and repaired
Old 05-25-2018, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
What was the source of failure? We replace engines that blow up under insurance, I'm not sure why you can't go that route here.

Or, as above, get a good used engine installed.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
So sorry to hear that! That sucks that MB will not do anything. I thought you are under warranty ? 45K Miles is still 5k miles short of the 50k mile warranty no? A used engine is like $13,000. Maybe even find one from a non AMG CLA to save cost?
Old 05-26-2018, 09:49 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
c63 Coupe, GLC63
Yes, so weird that this is not covered while its under warranty
Old 05-27-2018, 10:01 AM

2014 CLA 45 AMG
The warranty is four years or 50k miles whichever comes first. four years was in February.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:10 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
c63 Coupe, GLC63
Oh, some reason I thought you had the extended warranty. On these type of cars, I would never own it out of warranty for these reasons.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'16 A45 AMG
39k for an M133 is crazy...

On ebay germany they are selling them for about 7k €.

Hope that you find a solution that is affortable, those OEM offers are insane
Old 05-28-2018, 08:57 AM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 AMG Black Series
OP - You're giving us a half *** diagnosis when we're trying to help. I'd recommend finding out exactly where the oil went first. If it burnt up you would've had a low oil warning during your drive. If it was from an external influence (puncture, etc) then I would phone your insurance company. Do you have full coverage? If so, this will definitely be covered under your policy. Don't declare bankruptcy, that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Also, I would arrange a meeting with the GM of the dealer and have a word about them starting the vehicle. It's obvious they did, and despite however short it was running it definitely contributed to the failure.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:58 AM

If the repair is not feasible you could also sell the car through CoPart, nice Salvage can bring 60%+ of value of car undamaged or part it out yourself
Old 05-28-2018, 12:47 PM

Benz
Was it dealer serviced? Who did the oil change last and how long ago?
Old 05-29-2018, 10:36 AM

2014 CLA 45 AMG
A few updates for everyone. Mercedes has decided they will not cover my car or even offer a discount on the repair. Talked to the general service manager, the official story is that my aftermarket stereo (there is no aftermarket stereo the last owner had a sub installed and the only thing left is a amp wire that was obviously professionally installed and has an inline fuse.) Caused the alternator to catch fire. Which melted the belt which stopped the water pump which caused the engine to blow. Now first off there was no evidence of a fire in my engine bay, second it was inspected at a mechanic before being taken to the Mercedes shop and he said the belt was turning fine and was in one piece. Anyone with any mechanical experience can pick this story apart in seconds. I can't believe this is the official story. Went to the dealer Monday and inspected the car brought along a mechanic friend of mine. The belt is still in tack it does show signs of it rubbing and wouldn't of lasted much longer but its definitely still in tack, The amp wire that supposedly caused all of this does have a 20A in line fuse that did not blow. Also there is no burn evidence around the alternator the silver heat shields are still shiny silver. Took a video of it all. Also called the dealer that has the car Saturday and talked to a service tech and ask how long it would take to blow an AMG motor if it was started with no oil, his answer was hes seen them blow within seconds of starting with no oil. Have that all recorded. Going to talk to some lawyers today and see what they think probably have to get it towed to a independent shop with a Mercedes master mechanic for a full inspection but no way their story is even almost adding up. Tried talking to the service manager while I was there he said Tear it up (in reference to me getting a lawyer) and walked away. This is the most ridiculous situation I've ever been in and or heard of. Notice no where in any of that is oil mentioned in anyway or form?
Old 06-05-2018, 05:48 PM

2014 CLA 45 AMG
New update for y'all. Called a lawyer and they informed me that the Attorney Generals office of New Mexico will investigate these kinds of things for free. Put in a consumer complaint to their department. Got a call back today requesting paperwork from the mechanic that checked my car out up here in Colorado and the towing company report. They sent a message to the dealer but haven't heard back from them yet. Things are looking up, no way their story holds up a the attorney generals investigation!
Old 06-05-2018, 06:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 Ferrari 575 M
shared this thread on Pcar forum. I want to see the outcome of this.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:01 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550
man this sucks but hopefully will work in your favor.. it simply just doesn't add up, unless of course the entire story isnt being told.. but i do hope you get your car fixed a nd the issue resolved... the stealerships are at it again haha smh!
Old 06-07-2018, 05:37 PM

2014 CLA 45 AMG
Update for ya'll. Got a reply from the attorney general which is the reply from the Mercedes dealership. see attached. their evidence is absolutely bonkers and they even attached pages that aren't even from my car!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Mercedes-Benz of ABQ Response.pdf (722.9 KB, 2823 views)
Old 06-07-2018, 07:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 Ferrari 575 M
Originally Posted by breezejr5
Update for ya'll. Got a reply from the attorney general which is the reply from the Mercedes dealership. see attached. their evidence is absolutely bonkers and they even attached pages that aren't even from my car!
I looked at the report. The only pages that don't belong to your car are 12-15, they belong to Mercedes Sprinter van according to the VIN.

Are pictures they presented of your car? And did your car have the 200 amp fuse in place of the 175 amp fuse for the alternator as well as aftermarket cables for the stereo?

If the above two questions are answered with a YES, I am struggling to see how you are going to fight them on anything. Your car died, you towed it in. They diagnosed it and presented their findings. It is not like your car was 100% functional and drove on its own power. Help us understand why do you think this dealership is liable for anything?

Unless you have 100% written/recorded proof that you explicitly stated that "THERE IS NO OIL IN THE ENGINE, DO NOT START THE CAR" you have no leg to stand on. As your case against the dealership is solely based on you stating that they blew your engine by starting it after you towed your car in. They can 100% state that your engine was blown when the car was towed in, and you have nothing to prove them wrong. Why? Because you towed your car in, and you have stated yourself that the vehicle have died on you on the freeway and required a tow.

Consider the following scenario. In Porsche world, 996 cars have massive IMS issues that cause complete engine failures. Your car's engine just died. You towed it to the Porsche dealer on the weekend and left it there. On Monday they diagnosed the car as having complete engine failure due to IMS bearing breaking apart. You claim that they owe you a new engine because they started the car and blew the bearing?

Edit: After re-reading your complaint to the AG, I feel like you have buried yourself in the first half of your complaint. By referencing that the first mechanic you took it to was not sure of the diagnosis and was not a Mercedes technician- so he recommended that you take it to the Mercedes dealer for proper evaluation.. That statement alone destroys any and all arguments that your car did not have a blown engine or blown rod prior to being towed to the MB dealer. I think you can see why?

Last edited by Kalashnikov; 06-07-2018 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:30 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2012 C63 Coupe P31
Originally Posted by breezejr5
Had it towed to a local shop (the closes Mercedes dealer is 203 miles away from me) they found nothing wrong with the pulleys or serpentine and noticed the oil was almost empty.
I also read the report and MB of ABQ findings looks legit. The local shop should have noticed the connecting rod breaking through the engine block as there would have been traces of oil flowing down from the hole or cracked portion. A connecting rod through the engine block is a catastrophic failure hence your engine shutting off and missing almost all the engine oil. With 7 warnings lights for the coolant level low logged on the ecu, you should have investigated after the second warning light (first warning could be false so I always clear it and see if it comes back). I think on all newer MB cars, if you’re about to overheat, the gauge cluster lights up red warning of high engine temperatures. This is an immediate sign to slow down, pull over, and shut off engine. Another point is you have a 200 amp in-line fuse for a 175 amp alternator. This fuse will never blow as it’s rated higher than the alternator ampere. Even though the sub or amp was removed, the main power wire should have been removed from the battery. If the insulation of the power wire is broken through, then it would cause a short and create ampere draw on the alternator. Eventually, the alternator will overheat as described by the report.

Best bet is to find a used CLA45 engine and replace it. Maybe find an indie shop that strictly works on European cars and have them do the engine swap to help save money instead of using the dealership. Sorry to say, but I think it’s going to be on your dime for all the repairs.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:41 PM

Benz
As a tech the report sounds fishy. If that fuse is indeed installed properly for a sound system then it shouldn't matter. Im not sure why anybody would put it in line to the alternator. Either way it looks like the car is out of warranty so I wouldn't expect them to cover anything unless it was part of some ongoing issue. In all my years with MB I've never heard of an alternator being overworked causing a belt to melt. Is the water pump seized? I could see a water pump seizing turning into overheating the engine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2014 CLA 45 AMG blown engine with no warning at 42k miles