A220 fuel economy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura TL
A220 fuel economy

I was wondering if anyone has real-world mpg stats from their experience so far. I'm looking at the A220 4matic. My miles will be pretty heavy city (I live in Brooklyn). I've seen 22-24 mpg quoted in reviews, but wondering what you all are seeing.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2019, 10:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2022 C300 4Matic
That's probably pretty close for what you would get in the city with stop and go. I just took a trip of 29 miles that took 59 minutes. Average speed was 30 mph. This was in Westchester county NY, up and down hills and through small towns. Consumption was 24.5 mpg. I'd consider that pretty good considering. Loving my new car.
The following users liked this post:
jkonst (04-24-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 03:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Buying One
Also depends on your driving style, I don't rush to red lights (coast) and usually drive in Comfort mode.

Highway, getting 35 mpg consistently.
Local Roads, around 25 mpg.

If I drive more aggressively in Sports mode my city mpg is about 22.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:01 PM

Acura TL
Thanks, that makes sense. I ended up going a pretty different route (Lexus UX250h) in the interest of better gas mileage - but hoping to join the MB fold in a couple years if things work out. Definitely missing MBUX and that interior ambient lighting...
Old 05-30-2019, 04:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Buying One
Originally Posted by jkonst
Thanks, that makes sense. I ended up going a pretty different route (Lexus UX250h) in the interest of better gas mileage - but hoping to join the MB fold in a couple years if things work out. Definitely missing MBUX and that interior ambient lighting...
Makes sense, especially if you have long commutes. I'm phasing that out so don't care about mileage as much (did note that Mercedes requires 91+ octane). Does the Lexus drive the same as the A class?
Old 05-31-2019, 10:52 AM

Acura TL
Originally Posted by Kenyon1976
Makes sense, especially if you have long commutes. I'm phasing that out so don't care about mileage as much (did note that Mercedes requires 91+ octane). Does the Lexus drive the same as the A class?
Yeah, my partner's commute isn't that long, but the miles are stop-and-go (Brooklyn-Staten Island). I did a similar drive in a new A4 recently and averaged ~21mpg, while getting high 30s on pure highway, and I think the A220 would be roughly in that ballpark. My 2005 Acura TL got closer to 15mpg on that commute. The UX has been averaging close to 40, and the non-premium gas required is a nice bonus.

And yes, the UX drives great. The ride quality is probably a touch smoother than the A class, but the UX is significantly slower. Its turning radius is excellent, which is helpful. The technology is nowhere near as nice, though - the Lexus infotainment system is harder to use than my old TL's.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:29 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
A220
Stop and go traffic over the past couple days driving for me on my first week with the vehicle. about 24mpg, sometimes more/closer to 28mpg on another day if I'm not inching forward.
Old 06-01-2019, 02:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A220
I'm still on my original tank of gas (although I'm now in the last quarter tank) but when I look at the "since last start" numbers, they're generally in the mid to high 20's. When I look at the "since last reset" it's at 18.8. I don't remember when exactly I last reset it; I think I did it on the first day when playing around. Either way, it's been a bit confusing why that number is so much lower. I'm hoping after I fill up and reset I'll have an easier time of knowing the real numbers. I'll do some math by hand, too.
Old 06-01-2019, 02:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 A220 4MATIC
The "since last start" is an automatically calculated trip based on all the driving you've done recently. Once the car has been parked for 4 hours or longer, this trip resets. Let's say the car was parked overnight and you drive for 30 min, then park for an hour, then drive for 30 min, then park for two hours, then drive for 1 hour, then leave the car parked overnight. Your "since last start" will show a driving time of two hours and whatever the fuel consumption was for that time. Let's say you drive to work in the morning, then leave the car parked for 8 hours, then drive home in the evening. "Since last start" will only show the evening drive home.

"Since last reset" is the traditional trip counter that will go forever until you manually reset it. If it has never been reset, it's going to include all the time you spent idling or whatever was happening at the dealership. With past cars, I always reset this manually when I refuel so I get an idea of fuel economy and range per tank. Since this car calculates your remaining range automatically, it seems somewhat less useful to do this.