Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > A-class (W168, W169,W176) > A-Class (W168, W169)
Can any1 check the color code on springs for ... >

Can any1 check the color code on springs for ...

Notices
A-Class (W168, W169) A140, A160, A160 CDI, A170 CDI, A190, A210 Evo, A180

Can any1 check the color code on springs for ...

 
Old 06-08-2017, 08:04 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
w168 1998 petrol
Can any1 check the color code on springs for ...

If anybody here has a w168 A160 Avantgarde from 1998 (first series) with the 486 sport suspensions, can you check the color dots on the rear coil springs? There should be some colored dots. I had mine replaced with aftermarkets ones and now I don't know what was originally fitted.
Chris Nuvoli is offline  
Old 06-08-2017, 08:49 AM
  #2  
Out Of Control!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa
Posts: 11,748
Liked 577 Times in 560 Posts
1999 E300TD
Yes it's all done via EPC and the cars VIN!--wada you want to know!
Plutoe is offline  
Old 06-08-2017, 10:36 AM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
w168 1998 petrol
Originally Posted by Plutoe View Post
Yes it's all done via EPC and the cars VIN!--wada you want to know!
Yes thanks, I know that. I have EPC, the problem is it's not even clear in the EPC. At Mercedes here they had to make a technical request and they are waiting a reply. The problem is there is not any 486 code spring coil in the EPC for the w168, any w168. And there are two listed for my VIN which are described as -482 (not suitable for more distance from ground) and they have different color codes. One is blue red and the other is blue, in the rear one yellow and one grey. (??) ...
Chris Nuvoli is offline  
Old 06-08-2017, 11:05 AM
  #4  
Out Of Control!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa
Posts: 11,748
Liked 577 Times in 560 Posts
1999 E300TD
What you have written does not make sense if there is a sa code 486 associated with your VIN within EPC---is it associated?
Plutoe is offline  
Old 06-08-2017, 01:47 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
w168 1998 petrol
Originally Posted by Plutoe View Post
What you have written does not make sense if there is a sa code 486 associated with your VIN within EPC---is it associated?
The VIN is associated with a code 486 yes. There are no 486 spring coils on the EPC at all. Not for this VIN not for any WDB168033 in general.
Chris Nuvoli is offline  
Old 06-08-2017, 03:45 PM
  #6  
Out Of Control!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa
Posts: 11,748
Liked 577 Times in 560 Posts
1999 E300TD
and no listing for the 031 and 032---all 482---sounds like a factory error!
Plutoe is offline  
Old 06-08-2017, 06:17 PM
  #7  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
w168 1998 petrol
I don't know. The local part dealer made a technical enquiry to MB. Let's see what they say.
Chris Nuvoli is offline  
Old 06-09-2017, 02:00 AM
  #8  
Junior Member
 
Chode McBlob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: England
Posts: 47
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
A200 C169
There should be a table to calculate points, which are assigned for many different (often unexpected) bits, including the a/c, CD changer, etc, etc.
Then, once you have a total number of points, you can pick the correct spring's colour code.

For my car, for example, it's 183 points front (1 yellow dot), and 129 points rear springs (3 yellow dots) ...

Last edited by Chode McBlob; 06-09-2017 at 02:05 AM.
Chode McBlob is offline  
Old 06-09-2017, 02:34 AM
  #9  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
w168 1998 petrol
Yes I know that the problem is that even if you get the color code the coil still is not 486
Chris Nuvoli is offline  
Old 06-09-2017, 02:35 AM
  #10  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
w168 1998 petrol
Originally Posted by Plutoe View Post
and no listing for the 031 and 032---all 482---sounds like a factory error!
please note some are 482 others are -482 ( valid / not valid for more distance from ground) but do -482 = 486 ? Mistery
Chris Nuvoli is offline  
Old 06-09-2017, 06:29 AM
  #11  
Junior Member
 
Chode McBlob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: England
Posts: 47
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
A200 C169
Originally Posted by Chris Nuvoli View Post
Yes I know that the problem is that even if you get the color code the coil still is not 486
Sorry Chris, you're missing the point: Sports suspension (code 486) could have many different springs, depending on OTHER bits you have, hence the point system:



There are six different springs listed for my car - they ALL 486, but each is different, according to the calculated strength required (i.e. points) - that's down to your particular spec - it all should be clear from the above screenshot.
Chode McBlob is offline  
Old 06-09-2017, 06:55 AM
  #12  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
w168 1998 petrol
Originally Posted by Chode McBlob View Post
Sorry Chris, you're missing the point: Sports suspension (code 486) could have many different springs, depending on OTHER bits you have, hence the point system:



There are six different springs listed for my car - they ALL 486, but each is different, according to the calculated strength required (i.e. points) - that's down to your particular spec - it all should be clear from the above screenshot.
Yes I know, I checked the list for my car and the resulting color code is 1xYellow and part 1683200408 which has code "-482" = "Not Suitable for more distance from ground suspension [482]" which maybe means it's for the 486 sport suspension, however it's quite confusing.
Chris Nuvoli is offline  
Old 06-09-2017, 07:47 AM
  #13  
Junior Member
 
Chode McBlob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: England
Posts: 47
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
A200 C169
-482 doesn't mean 486, it means "not for 482" - there's no confusion here.

If you applied your points in the 486 column (see above: S. SUSPENSION - third column), then ALL springs listed there will be suitable for 486, and only those not suitable for some OTHER options will be marked as such. They will not be marked 486, as this was your starting point.
Chode McBlob is offline  
Old 06-09-2017, 12:23 PM
  #14  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
w168 1998 petrol
Originally Posted by Chode McBlob View Post
-482 doesn't mean 486, it means "not for 482" - there's no confusion here.

If you applied your points in the 486 column (see above: S. SUSPENSION - third column), then ALL springs listed there will be suitable for 486, and only those not suitable for some OTHER options will be marked as such. They will not be marked 486, as this was your starting point.
Yes, there is no 486 column for the w168:
Chris Nuvoli is offline  
Old 06-09-2017, 12:41 PM
  #15  
Junior Member
 
Chode McBlob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: England
Posts: 47
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
A200 C169
OK, so I loaded the 168033 baumuster (I was trying to avoid doing that LOL) - apparently, the 486 for W168 is not lowered 10mm (as for W169 or W245, etc), so the only 486-specific parts are shock absorbers and torsion bars - these are clearly marked with 486 option in EPC.

The only differentiation for the springs is whether or not the higher clearance option is present (what later became part of the "rough road package"), but is still listed separately for the W168.

So, if you haven't got 482 on your datacard, go for the -482, and vice versa.

Last edited by Chode McBlob; 06-09-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Chode McBlob is offline  
Old 06-09-2017, 02:03 PM
  #16  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
w168 1998 petrol
Originally Posted by Chode McBlob View Post
OK, so I loaded the 168033 baumuster (I was trying to avoid doing that LOL) - apparently, the 486 for W168 is not lowered 10mm (as for W169 or W245, etc), so the only 486-specific parts are shock absorbers and torsion bars - these are clearly marked with 486 option in EPC.

The only differentiation for the springs is whether or not the higher clearance option is present (what later became part of the "rough road package"), but is still listed separately for the W168.

So, if you haven't got 482 on your datacard, for for the -482, and vice versa.

What do you mean "for for the -482" ?

Here's my datacard:

Chris Nuvoli is offline  
Old 06-09-2017, 03:34 PM
  #17  
Junior Member
 
Chode McBlob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: England
Posts: 47
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
A200 C169
it was a typo - supposed to be "go for the -482"
Chode McBlob is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: