Classifieds The classifieds listings have been archived, create a listing in our new Marketplace!

New Key for $68 (remote) + $4.50(blade key) + shipping

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2007 | 01:29 PM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
Originally Posted by MAJBOB01
I'm curious. Do you have Keyless Go? If you do, then thats why you didnt get the chrome key. My suspicion is that once they run out of the Black KG keys they will start selling the Chrome KG keys for the older models that did not originally come with them. But that is just speculation.

Brian
No, I don't have Keyless Go. Thank you Major! If only the parts guy had told me, I wouldn't have felt so miffed.

jim
Old 10-12-2007 | 01:48 PM
Banned

'05 c230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
I'm curious. Do you have Keyless Go? If you do, then thats why you didnt get the chrome key. My suspicion is that once they run out of the Black KG keys they will start selling the Chrome KG keys for the older models that did not originally come with them. But that is just speculation.

Brian
Seems like you know quite a bit about dealerships and how everything operates. Thanks for your help and imput in this thread so far. May I ask, is it true that the keys cannot be reprogrammed at all? Are the dealers resisting to send my key to get it reprogrammed b/c it's actually not possible (they claim b/c it's lazer cut) or because it's a hastle and they just dont' want to do it?

I understand the blade key is cut and cannot be recut, but I have a hard time digesting that the electronic key cannot be simply reprogrammed. Please put my question to rest. Any reply would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-12-2007 | 06:38 PM

1965 Chevy C-10
Originally Posted by jallison12
No, I don't have Keyless Go. Thank you Major! If only the parts guy had told me, I wouldn't have felt so miffed.

jim
Something isn't right about that then. You should have gotten a chrome key. Mercedes ran out of the black key in the first part of this year.

What are the part #'s of the remote and blade that you bought? I know that the dealership wont take your key back, but I would like to check into it for you. If you want to PM me your VIN# I can see if I can figure out why you got the black key.

Brian
Old 10-12-2007 | 06:52 PM

1965 Chevy C-10
Originally Posted by zoomie
Seems like you know quite a bit about dealerships and how everything operates. Thanks for your help and imput in this thread so far. May I ask, is it true that the keys cannot be reprogrammed at all? Are the dealers resisting to send my key to get it reprogrammed b/c it's actually not possible (they claim b/c it's lazer cut) or because it's a hastle and they just dont' want to do it?

I understand the blade key is cut and cannot be recut, but I have a hard time digesting that the electronic key cannot be simply reprogrammed. Please put my question to rest. Any reply would be greatly appreciated.
It is true that dealerships can not reprogram keys. The only thing that a dealership can do is lock out a remote that has been lost or stolen. It is also true that Mercedes will not take a key back to be reprogrammed. If that were possible we wouldnt have two boxes full of keys, that were never picked up by customers, at work. That's also why most dealerships have you prepay for keys

Does Mercedes have the capabilities to reprogram keys? I do not know. I dont see why they couldn't do it, but they don't.

Brian
Old 10-13-2007 | 08:58 AM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
Something isn't right about that then. You should have gotten a chrome key. Mercedes ran out of the black key in the first part of this year.

What are the part #'s of the remote and blade that you bought? I know that the dealership wont take your key back, but I would like to check into it for you. If you want to PM me your VIN# I can see if I can figure out why you got the black key.

Brian
They happened to give me the part bag with the keys in it. So the text says "Smart Key". The part # is
A 169 766 18 06 9999. Order # was 92820.
Mailed from Fort Worth, TX to Rallye. I'll PM my VIN to you next.

And thank you much, for your help with this.
jim
Old 10-13-2007 | 09:11 AM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
Does Mercedes have the capabilities to reprogram keys? I do not know. I dont see why they couldn't do it, but they don't.

Brian
Someone posted recently, I can't recall where, that the programming is a hardware, one time programming, not software programming. If I can reword it as I recall, there is a latice of circuits inside the key. When they program it, they send an electrical current which destroys the parts of the latice that are not part of the programming. Hence, that is why the key cannot be reprogrammed. I'm a software guy, not hardware, so I am sure I have dumbed this down to understand it myself. If you search "smart key" on here I am sure you will find the original posters explanation.
jim

Found the link - it was my own thread!!. Jeez, getting old is a b1tch. See the MOVIELA post near the bottom:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ight=smart+key
Old 10-13-2007 | 03:02 PM

1965 Chevy C-10
Someone posted recently, I can't recall where, that the programming is a hardware, one time programming, not software programming. If I can reword it as I recall, there is a latice of circuits inside the key. When they program it, they send an electrical current which destroys the parts of the latice that are not part of the programming. Hence, that is why the key cannot be reprogrammed. I'm a software guy, not hardware, so I am sure I have dumbed this down to understand it myself. If you search "smart key" on here I am sure you will find the original posters explanation.
jim

Found the link - it was my own thread!!. Jeez, getting old is a b1tch. See the MOVIELA post near the bottom:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ight=smart+key
Thanks for the link Jim. MOVIELA had a great explanation as to why it can't be done

I will look into your situation on monday. That part # is not the standard smart key that was used. The part #'s for the black key is 203-766-62-06-9999 & 203-766-70-06-9999. MB alternated those #'s frequentley before they went to the chrome key.

Carry On,

Brian
Old 10-13-2007 | 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
http://w210.pietrzyk.net/82bodyelectricalDAS.htm
Old 10-15-2007 | 02:19 PM

1965 Chevy C-10
They happened to give me the part bag with the keys in it. So the text says "Smart Key". The part # is
A 169 766 18 06 9999. Order # was 92820.
Mailed from Fort Worth, TX to Rallye. I'll PM my VIN to you next.

And thank you much, for your help with this.
jim

I should have realized this, but I didn't until I looked it up. Wagons have a different key associated with them because they dont have the 'trunk popper' button. The chrome key will work with it, and should cost the same amount, depending on the dealership. The extra button would just be useless.

The parts guy more than likely looked it up by VIN and ordered the key that came up in the parts catalog.
Old 10-15-2007 | 05:27 PM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
I should have realized this, but I didn't until I looked it up. Wagons have a different key associated with them because they dont have the 'trunk popper' button. The chrome key will work with it, and should cost the same amount, depending on the dealership. The extra button would just be useless.

The parts guy more than likely looked it up by VIN and ordered the key that came up in the parts catalog.
Thank you Major, that does explain. My original key does not have a trunk button, and I do not have a powered rear tail gate. I think it was an option but the original owner did not choose this.

So, alls good. I had 1 key, now I have 3 keys. If I see a cheap chrome key on Ebay, I might pick it up and see if I can swap the housing, just for the fun of seeing if I can do it. I know the blade would be an issue (before I get flamed).

Thanks for your time in looking into this.
jim
Old 10-15-2007 | 06:11 PM

1965 Chevy C-10
You're Welcome Jim. The innards of the two keys are somewhat different, but let me know how it works out for you if you do try to swap them out.
Old 10-15-2007 | 09:56 PM

'04 S600
On a similar topic, I just picked up my S600 recently (used '04 still under Factory Warranty). The car has KeyLess Go.

I received 3 sets of keys, but only one operates the KeyLess Go. The other 2 unlock the doors and will start the car, but not via wireless....

I'm guessing all 3 keys should operate similarly - or are they operating properly?

If the 2 need repair/reprogram, is this pretty easy for the dealer to accomodate?

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2007 | 11:18 PM

1965 Chevy C-10
Originally Posted by OBXTucker
On a similar topic, I just picked up my S600 recently (used '04 still under Factory Warranty). The car has KeyLess Go.

I received 3 sets of keys, but only one operates the KeyLess Go. The other 2 unlock the doors and will start the car, but not via wireless....

I'm guessing all 3 keys should operate similarly - or are they operating properly?

If the 2 need repair/reprogram, is this pretty easy for the dealer to accomodate?

Thanks!
If your car is still under warranty, I would set up an appointment at the dealer to bring the car in, along with the keys. They should warranty the 2 keys and get you 2 new keys. The new keys should be chrome. One of my co-workers just ordered a Keyless Go key for one of our customers. The chrome key came in today, instead of the black key that he ordered. I think it was for an '03 E-Class.

Brian
Old 10-16-2007 | 01:19 AM

'04 S600
thanks, i'll give them a buzz. i'm sure they'll be happy to see me back.....
Old 10-16-2007 | 09:30 AM

1965 Chevy C-10
If your car is still under warranty, I would set up an appointment at the dealer to bring the car in, along with the keys. They should warranty the 2 keys and get you 2 new keys. The new keys should be chrome. One of my co-workers just ordered a Keyless Go key for one of our customers. The chrome key came in today, instead of the black key that he ordered. I think it was for an '03 E-Class.

Brian
I stand corrected. The Keyless Go key for the '04 S-Class has not changed yet. So, you will still get the black key.
Old 10-16-2007 | 12:18 PM

Mercedes CL500
Could you clarify a little bit?

Unless I misunderstood you, in the post that's just before the this one in reference, you mentioned that he should get a replacement chrome key for his 04'. And now you're stating that he should get a black one.

Do you mean to say that the 04' should have come with black keys when they're first sold?

Also, under what circumstance can a dealership justify replacing the keys under warranty?

Thanks!

Jon

I stand corrected. The Keyless Go key for the '04 S-Class has not changed yet. So, you will still get the black key.
Old 10-16-2007 | 02:31 PM

1965 Chevy C-10
Originally Posted by Baby ///M3
Could you clarify a little bit?

Unless I misunderstood you, in the post that's just before the this one in reference, you mentioned that he should get a replacement chrome key for his 04'. And now you're stating that he should get a black one.

Do you mean to say that the 04' should have come with black keys when they're first sold?

Also, under what circumstance can a dealership justify replacing the keys under warranty?

Thanks!

Jon

Yes, The '04's came with the black key originally. When I wrote that post earlier, I was thinking that the E-Class Keyless Go key would be the same as the S-Class KG key. But, I was wrong. There is something different internally about the two.

As long as the car is still under warranty, and there is something wrong with key. It will be covered under warranty. Such problems as the key not communicating with the car, or cracked buttons are covered under warranty

Brian
Old 10-16-2007 | 03:06 PM

Mercedes CL500
Thank you very much for the clarification!

One more question please. Does it have to be the standard 4 year 50k mi warranty for key replacement? Or does Starmark warranty work as well?

Jon

Yes, The '04's came with the black key originally. When I wrote that post earlier, I was thinking that the E-Class Keyless Go key would be the same as the S-Class KG key. But, I was wrong. There is something different internally about the two.

As long as the car is still under warranty, and there is something wrong with key. It will be covered under warranty. Such problems as the key not communicating with the car, or cracked buttons are covered under warranty

Brian
Old 10-17-2007 | 09:02 AM

1965 Chevy C-10
Originally Posted by Baby ///M3
Thank you very much for the clarification!

One more question please. Does it have to be the standard 4 year 50k mi warranty for key replacement? Or does Starmark warranty work as well?

Jon
Starmark/CPO warranty covers keys too.