CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Mirror Turn Signals...can they be cleared..ie white lights instead of yellow?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alpina B7; Techart Grand GT; G63
Mirror Turn Signals...can they be cleared..ie white lights instead of yellow?

Can you clear out the turn signals on the mirrors? Thanks
Old 06-14-2002, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've been told that there's no way to change them, otherwise I would have done it already.

-Bruce
Old 06-14-2002, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 Jaguar XJS Convertible
you would have to chang the LED's manually (i.e., soldering off the old ones, and soldering on new Super White LED's)..

I am sure it can be done, but would require taking lights to a electronics place that does this sort of work.

Super White LED's would have to match the orange ones in terms of voltage, etc.
Old 06-14-2002, 10:15 PM

They're not LEDs.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350, S320, Mini Cooper S
I am not sure what that is, but I have seen one CLK in Boston with clear (white) turning signal.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 SLK32 AMG
Originally posted by Newbie
They're not LEDs.
Yes, the lights in the mirrors are LEDs.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 SLK32 AMG
Originally posted by SL55AMG
you would have to chang the LED's manually (i.e., soldering off the old ones, and soldering on new Super White LED's)..

I am sure it can be done, but would require taking lights to a electronics place that does this sort of work.

Super White LED's would have to match the orange ones in terms of voltage, etc.
Yes, this would work, but the real question is why the hell would anyone make their turn signals clear/white? Why not make every single bulb and lens on the car clear/white. Then nobody can tell what the hell you're doing or which way you're going. Sorry, but it's dangerous. If you don't realized it's dangerous, then you're ignorant. If you do and you still want to make them clear, then you're stupid.

Trending Topics

Old 06-20-2002, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by Brian_R170

Yes, the lights in the mirrors are LEDs.
You positive? Why don't they look anything like the LEDs in the S, CL, and SL mirrors? They don't seem to "blink" the same way LEDs do, which led me to believe they're incandescent.
Old 06-21-2002, 06:56 AM
Almost a Member!

CLK430
No they are not LEDs

I have tried to open the damn thing with screw driver and the signal light cover comes off......BROKEN....... and inside it is something like the B1 Halogen tiny glass end light bulb..really tiny ones....i was able to open the damn thing but not able to put the cover back.........so.......i have to buy another side mirror......so i can say it is possible to change it.......but do it at your own risk.....it's really hard to say how do i do it i have to show it in pics.........just my 2 cents.
Old 06-21-2002, 04:41 PM

Hahaha, looks like I was right Brian. Obviously they're not LEDs, they look nothing like them.
Old 06-21-2002, 09:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E400 COUPE SOLD -> Porsche Taycan 4S
Van_CLK430

can you post a pic of your HID fog lights? ive always wanted to change them ever since i got my car.

B
Old 06-22-2002, 04:48 AM
Almost a Member!

CLK430
soon..........

I will post some pics coming week or so since i want to also post the sound clip of my Exhaust i will do it altogether but need to wait for a clear night in sun light u will not see much difference. It's really bright but i already got pull over 3 times in a week because of this damn thing......no idea why the light never goes downward always up so looks so bright to other drivers nearly blind them...so i am thinking to change them or try to modify it so i will goes downward. : )
Old 06-22-2002, 03:49 PM

Haha, damn dude- might wanna get those things aimed better if you're getting pulled over for 'em .
Old 11-06-2004, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Brian_R170
Yes, this would work, but the real question is why the hell would anyone make their turn signals clear/white? Why not make every single bulb and lens on the car clear/white. Then nobody can tell what the hell you're doing or which way you're going. Sorry, but it's dangerous. If you don't realized it's dangerous, then you're ignorant. If you do and you still want to make them clear, then you're stupid.
Um. First off, it is no harder to see white ones than yellow ones during the daytime. And at night white ones are more visible that yellow ones. Second, white bulbs look a hell of a lot better than yellow ones, and if something looks better, people will do it.

Let me pose an alternate analysis of your analysis. If you cannot see white turning signals, you shouldn't be allowed on the road to begin with. I've had clear lights on my other car for ages and the only complaints I've ever gotten from friends behind me were "They are too bright.. they are blinding me."
Old 11-06-2004, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W209 - W163
I did this on my old CLK430 and did a write-up for a DIY post... hope this helps. And yes, they are LEDs, but it is a long and tedious job.

What you need:

- 3 to 6 Packs of Sylvania Bulbs #2721 or #2723 (Got them from Pep Boys, 2723 is brighter)
- 2 Torx Screwdrivers # 9 and 10
- Flat Head Screwdriver

Step 1- Removing the Mirror Housing
There are four screws in total accessible from the mirror side. Use the controls to move the mirror away so it can be accessed easier. Use the #10 screwdriver to remove 3 screws, but use the #9 for the inside corner screw. Its hard to get the screwdriver in there, so a slightly smaller size head would work well.

After removing the screws, tug carefully until the outer lip of the mirror cover is out. Then, lift the outside housing UP then OUT... It won't come all the way off, but enough for you to work with the bulbs.

Step 2- Changing the Bulbs
To change the bulbs, just use a small, flat screwdriver to pop the lights up. Don't try pulling the wires as you might break them. Simply pull those orange lights out, and put the new ones in.

Now, you can change all 6 bulbs per housing, but I recommend not to. I suggest you just change the 3 on the outside. Doing so will automatically shutoff the 3 on the inside (different voltage). You can change all 6 per housing, and all 6 will light up, but it won't be as bright as if you only changed the outside 3. BUT, DO NOT REMOVE the 3 orange bulbs inside. Just leave them in place. Just change the outside 3 if you wish, or change all 6.

And thats it. Just go backwards to put everything back. BUT, PLEASE TEST that everything works and all lights blink and flash appropriately before re-assembling the mirror housing.

Disclaimer: I DO NOT TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANYTHING DAMAGED OR INJURIES, THIS IT A DIY PROJECT.

Thanks Danny for helping me with the instructions! Hope this helps. Happy Modding!

-Vik
Old 11-07-2004, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by ViKTORiOUS
I did this on my old CLK430 and did a write-up for a DIY post... hope this helps. And yes, they are LEDs, but it is a long and tedious job.
the bulbs may be small, but they are not LEDs...