CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Someone ruined my paint!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 S550 4Matic, '12 SL63 AMG, '13 ML350, '16 AMG GT-S Ed. 1,'03 Ford F-250
Someone ruined my paint!

I have had my 430 sitting in my office parking lot for sale since the middle of last week. I own the commercial building it is located in, so I am here all day long. At some point in time, from the end of last, to some time yesterday, some a-hole walking or driving by threw some kind of liquid on the rear trunk lid/quarter panel/passenger door area that has eaten into the clear coat. I did not notice it until 7pm last night, so who knows how long it has sat....eating through my clearcoat. I took it to 2 places so far and the lowest bid is $2,200. I also filed a police report, but only for insurance purposes.

I'm just a guy trying to sell a car, and this **** happens. I would have enjoyed seeing this happen, but I'd be in jail for torturing some poor fool. My blood pressure is in epic porportions right now. At the risk of sounding immodest, I'm not someone you want to **** with. I have many years of low level pro kick boxing and MMA experience, college wrestling and many, many years of street fights. I am 5'10" and 255lbs with almost no bodyfat, can pick up a semi if needed and a temper to match, if provoked, and I am now provoked.

Sorry, I'm just pissed!
Old 04-08-2005, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W215 CL600
Damn, that's just wrong! It's a shame their is so much jealousy in the world today. You can't own anything nice without someone comment/acting negative towards you.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Used to be a CLK430
Damn, that really sucks man! I'd kill a ****! Relax, take a deep breath though, it's not worth the stress.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Sorry to hear that Brian...unlike a door ding that sound sounds pretty damn intentional. Any idea what the compound was that ate through the paint?
Old 04-08-2005, 05:01 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK 430
That's just so wrong! It's the insult more than anything that's hard to get over.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:17 PM

Yeah, breathe, breathe...No one has any idea what the liquid was, but it did a number on the clear coat. Not sure yet if it is into the paint or just the clear coat. But yes, it feels very insulting. Why couldn't I have seen it happen.

Any idea if this will effect the value/title? So far the shops do not think it will be anything that will show up on a title, but I hate the thought of having to explain to a potential buyer why it had to be repainted.

I'll just fix it and move on. Its over. For now!
Old 04-08-2005, 05:25 PM
JDM

2011 C300
Originally Posted by brianw430
Yeah, breathe, breathe...No one has any idea what the liquid was, but it did a number on the clear coat. Not sure yet if it is into the paint or just the clear coat. But yes, it feels very insulting. Why couldn't I have seen it happen.

Any idea if this will effect the value/title? So far the shops do not think it will be anything that will show up on a title, but I hate the thought of having to explain to a potential buyer why it had to be repainted.

I'll just fix it and move on. Its over. For now!
...It will not affect the title. Valueif the repair is noticeable, make sure they paint it PERFECT. Take pictures first as proof that it was NOT an impact. Probably was brake fluid. People do that kind of crap around here too. Sorry for you.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Downright mean!

Sorry this happened to you
Old 04-08-2005, 10:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W208
Angry Unbelivable

Sorry to hear that Brian, We can only hope that what comes around goes around, and this sob will get theres.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 AMG
Hey Brian, i know how you feel man. I bought my 320 online and when it arrived it was caked in dirt and had a nice collection of rock chips on the hood with two quarter sized dents in it. It wasnt a result of vandalism or anything, but i did feel pretty screwed by the seller and the INSPECTION COMPANY i PAID to look the thing over (with specific instructions to check for dents, chips, and swirls). I did a serious polishing job on the whole car a few months back that took care of most of the swirls, but there are still some scratches and the hood still has the chips in it. Im going to have it repainted sometime this summer hopefully, hard to adjust to something like that when you're used to having perfect paint (See the A4 in the sig). Best of luck man, i got over my disappointment eventually im sure that your paint situation will work out.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
CLK55, CL500, Q45
I had that problem with my lexus where someone poured some liquid
on the roof, and it baked on the paint in the FL sun. It faded to a very
dull gray color (original color was a gloss sky blue) within about two
days. I even had it hand washed and waxed. A week later when I got it
washed again, the clearcoat and paint came right off, leaving primer. I
took a $4k hit when I sold it, as it was easier than re-spraying it, and
taking a hit on selling it.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
What the **** is wrong with people???

Sorry to here that bro! It's a bunch of jealous *****'s out there that will never be able to have a car as nice as yours.

By the way, Coke and other soft drinks have a higher pH balance than hydrochloric acid! I've studied that if you put a chicken bone in a glass of coke overnight, the bone will disolve in a day! Furthur, a steal nail will only take 4 days to disolve.

So, if there is ever any coke on your car, wash immediatly or it will eat through the paint.

Hope you get everything resolved....and find solice in the fact that you own a CLK55.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:13 PM

E320 CDI
Originally Posted by str8ridin
Sorry to here that bro! It's a bunch of jealous *****'s out there that will never be able to have a car as nice as yours.

By the way, Coke and other soft drinks have a higher pH balance than hydrochloric acid! I've studied that if you put a chicken bone in a glass of coke overnight, the bone will disolve in a day! Furthur, a steal nail will only take 4 days to disolve.

So, if there is ever any coke on your car, wash immediatly or it will eat through the paint.

Hope you get everything resolved....and find solice in the fact that you own a CLK55.
wow thats pretty crazy info about soft drinks, i was thinking brake fluid or something else industrial but sounds like some punk *** with their big gulp could have done the damage.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:38 PM

Thanks for the comments everyone, it was really upsetting. I agree, what the hell is wrong with people. It really does make you think, if even for a moment, you cannot have nice things these days. I really don't believe this deep down, but why would some idiot do this?

The body shops said there are many, many things that could do this type of damage. It goes in on Wednesday and the insurance company wants them to try wet sanding it first, then go from there. We'll see.

I did have three lookers over the weekend and am considering lowering the price and letting the buyer deal with it. No one really seemed to care about it. Hell maybe I'll keep the asking price the same and still let the buyer deal with it...who knows.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:33 PM

E320 CDI
well this might make you feel better. i came out to my M3 one day to find this.
Attached Thumbnails Someone ruined my paint!-dscn0931-medium-.jpg  
Old 04-12-2005, 03:18 PM

What the...are those sticky notes? Do you know who did this and do they like the movie Office Space? What's the story?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:45 PM

E320 CDI
Originally Posted by brianw430
What the...are those sticky notes? Do you know who did this and do they like the movie Office Space? What's the story?
yeah they are sticky notes. i knew the guy but naturally didnt think much of him before and even less after.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:09 PM

Speedlimits, is he still living?

I just got my second quote back and this body shop says the whole car needs repainting, $4,400. I like this idea and it will also take care of all rock chips. This particular body shop has a very good rep, which is why I went there, and I know the family that owns it. They also work hand-in-hand with my insurance company on many fronts, so they have a good working relationship. The owner said, in the end they will pay for whatever needs to be done, so it will have a brand new paint job. Evidently, I have a cracked rear passenger side light assembly (didn't know it) that supposedly happened during the "vandelism" so that will be replaced also.

I am trying to sell the car, so does anyone have any opinions on what a new paint job could/would/should do to my asking price? I was asking $17,500 and raised it to $18,000 because I put new tires on. Should this increase my asking price? Or does this simply reflect on the overall condition of the car? After all, it does have 100,000 miles, but it is so very solid!

Opinions welcomed please!