CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

I am stupid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2005 | 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

00 KLEEMANN CLK 430 - 02 KLEEMANN CLK55 - 88 Euro / Jap AMG 560 SEC Widebody
I am stupid

So... I'm tooling around the outer edges of this strip mall shopping center looking for the farthest-away parking space (you all know the one) to leave my ride while I go to the local bar. It's around 9:00 so it's dark. At last I see it, the perfect corner spot, miles away from anything - so I proceed to back in, closer..... closer..... closer..... then CRRRRUNCH. Oh **it. At this point what I should have done was get out and take a look - instead, you guessed it, "I'll just put it in drive and slide off whatever I've mounted with my rear end." Dumb move. So After enduring another loud demolition derby style noise I finally get out and take a look.

It seems that this unusually high concrete wheel stop at the back of the parking space I was pulling into got caught under my Lorinser rear bumper in a way that snapped, cracked and peeled the bumper off of the car from the driver's side leading edge of the bumper all the way across the back completely away from the car . Boy was I pissed at myself. - After a ****load of cursing out loud by myself out in the middle of nowhere I went in the bar to drown the sorrows. After a while (a really long while) I came out and started a slow drive home. There wasn't a way to really secure the bumper back on the car so it was kinda' flappin' on the driver's side but I figured I'd go slow and things would be okay. Well 35 seemed no problem, 45 no problem and by the time I got on the local highway, 50 seemed okay - (I was watching the damn thing through my side view mirror).

Then I see some aqua blue xenons not too far behind me and after a little while up next to me pulls this M-3 and slows so that he's even with me right in the area of my driver's side blind spot. Interesting. Then he pulls into the far left lane, still pacing with me, and immediately in his place pulls one of those Neon? SRT/4's and they both start inching up their speed really slowly. There were no other card on the road. Now anyone with half a brain would have just said to themselves "My rear bumper is hanging on by a thread - just chill and keep it steady" - but I am stupid. I start inching up with them, we all punch it and it really wasn't much of an event, until I hear this "POP" followed by a continuous noise like fingernails make when you run them across a chalkboard. Well - that was my bumper grinding itself into oblivion at 80MPH. By the time I pulled over it had mangled itself into an unrecognizable mess. The part I was able to push back on to the car started to smell like it was going to catch on fire from just the heat coming off of my exhaust tips - man it was sad.

So that's it - I am just dumb.

Any suggestions on replacement rear bumper. I called the dealer to see how much AMG style rear bumper would be because honestly I didn't particularly like the look of the Lorinser rear bumper - but stealership quoted $1,250.00 for the unpainted AMG version - that seems like a lot.

Anyway If any of you have pics of decent looking rear pumpers I'd like to take a look.
Old 05-27-2005 | 03:02 PM

1998 honda civic lx
that is really sad
Old 05-27-2005 | 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
oh man that sucks lowphat, sorry to hear that. as far as an amg rear bumper goes, reconditioned to like new condition and primed ones are on ebay all the time.

here you go...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

theres no way to salvage the lorinser? if you think there might be, i might be interested in taking it off your hands. could you post a pic?
Old 05-27-2005 | 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'01 C320 || '14 Honda Pilot EX-L
Old 05-27-2005 | 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BklynBenz
oh man that sucks lowphat, sorry to hear that. as far as an amg rear bumper goes, reconditioned to like new condition and primed ones are on ebay all the time.

here you go...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

theres no way to salvage the lorinser? if you think there might be, i might be interested in taking it off your hands. could you post a pic?
Thanks alot for the tip Bklyn.

The Lorinser's not salvageable - it looks like it's been through a shreading machine and is in multiple pieces - believe me, if it was salvageable I would get it repaired because as much as I wasn't really crazy about its looks - it flowed with the rest of the body kit.

BTW - saw your post on the bent LM5's - feel your pain on that one. Really sucks how easily that happens to such awesome rims. Good luck with the repair.
Old 05-27-2005 | 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
Originally Posted by lowphat
Thanks alot for the tip Bklyn.

The Lorinser's not salvageable - it looks like it's been through a shreading machine and is in multiple pieces - believe me, if it was salvageable I would get it repaired because as much as I wasn't really crazy about its looks - it flowed with the rest of the body kit.

BTW - saw your post on the bent LM5's - feel your pain on that one. Really sucks how easily that happens to such awesome rims. Good luck with the repair.
no problem. yeah the whole situation with the LM5's sucked but im supposed to get them back on tuesday so its not that bad. i cant wait to see them now with the polished lips, its like im getting a whole brand new set of wheels. ive been riding on stockies since winter and the LM5's have been in CA for like 3 weeks now and it has sucked everyday, lol. i couldnt find anyone local who was confident that they would be able to restore them to a like new state, not even that guy www.wheelcollision.com. ill post pics when i get them back.
Old 05-27-2005 | 04:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Sorry to hear that. AT least now that you've said, I can say it too, I didnt like that rear bumper very much. Like Brook said just pick one up off ebay or call Potomac German and see how much they want for one.
Old 05-27-2005 | 04:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Decide to call Potomac German for you and they dont have any. What do you think about the Carlsson RS rear bumper?
Old 05-27-2005 | 05:13 PM

2002 CLK 430/2002 325i
Ouch!!

Sorry to read to what happened to your beauty. The Carlsson is a nice rear bumper but I don't think it will flow nicely with his lorinser sideskirts. The carlsson rear bumper does not go as low as the lorinser. In addition, the lorinser skirts sit lower than the carlsson sideskirts. If he were to get the carlsson rear bumper then he would have to go with the carlsson sideskirts. That would look hot IMO.
Old 05-27-2005 | 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's what I get for posting the "stroke my Kleemann" post yesterday in that Kleemann vs. Renntech thread.
Old 05-27-2005 | 06:03 PM

2007 CL600
Originally Posted by lowphat
Anyway If any of you have pics of decent looking rear pumpers I'd like to take a look.

I don't think I want to put my rear pumper on the back of your car. It would just do more damage.
Old 05-27-2005 | 06:43 PM

CLK430
dude, sorry to hear about your misfortune. till then, good luck.
Old 05-27-2005 | 07:33 PM

W208
Sorry to hear man. But sounds like you will bring it on whenever it's on!
Rock On!!!!
Old 05-27-2005 | 09:00 PM

1999 CLK430
so who won the race?
Old 05-27-2005 | 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Bagher
so who won the race?
I think that a piece of my bumper actually passed all of us on its way to oblivion
Old 05-28-2005 | 06:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
hey lowphat, were you able to find a bumper? I'll put it on for you to save some money, but u gotta drive to my place cuz I dont have a car
Old 05-29-2005 | 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Benzz - no bumper yet - car looks like crap from the back. My computer's been down until just now so i haven't been able to search for new style rear end. Your offer sounds good though & I'll let you know as soon as I have replacement ready to install.

Maybe TheRicker can come over

Last edited by lowphat; 05-29-2005 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-30-2005 | 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by WIldcat465
I don't think I want to put my rear pumper on the back of your car. It would just do more damage.
I didn't even notice that "pumper" thing in my post