CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

H7 Xenon kit for $160 bucks....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 12:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
H7 Xenon kit for $160 bucks....

So I went with this idea I got from another thread and was able to put together a H7 Xenon kit for $160. They were these flashlights (I got mine at Costco...)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ADME:B:LC:US:1

All you have to do is take out the bulbs and ballasts and presto you've got yourself a Xenon kit for $160. You're even left with 2 12v rechargable batteries that can be used for whatever you can think of. It couldn't have been easier, and I used the factory harness to install. It's almost as if it were made for the car how easy it was. Here's some pics....they are at night and with my phone so they didn't come out well. I'll take better ones in the day. I personally can't tell the difference between this and any other xenon car I've seen around. Damn good deal!!!
Attached Thumbnails H7 Xenon kit for 0 bucks....-cimg7505.jpg   H7 Xenon kit for 0 bucks....-cimg7504.jpg   H7 Xenon kit for 0 bucks....-cimg7503.jpg  
Old 08-07-2005, 07:15 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Um.
That's kinda dangerous man, don't you realize that with that much glare, you're blinding other drivers?

http://www.intellexual.net/hid.html
Old 08-07-2005, 10:45 AM

Actually it's not as bad as the pics seem. I'll take better pictures with a better camera. Like I said, it looks identical to any other xenon car I've seen on the street.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
I think ricky is correct in his point. And just because it might appear to look like others.... Afterall they could've done the same thing you did. The only way to prove the point here is to put an OEM xenon equipped car next to yours and both light up. You will see the difference.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
It says it is an actualy H7 bulb, so I wouls assume H7 is H7 and 6200K is 6200K, which other people have in their car. I know there are variations in color temp depending on the manufacturer, but I don't see how this could any more illegal or blinding that other bulbs/kits.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have installed a few sets of HID's on my friends cars and mostly i have difficulty due to retrofitting the D2R bulb into a regular housing. It does sometimes point high and blind others if you are not careful with the assembly. But if these bulbs are H7 and fit correctly the beam pattern should be ok. Good job glad you got a good deal!
Old 08-07-2005, 06:11 PM

clk
yeah, you probably just need to readjust the headlights manually so that it shoots lower to prevent glare(blindness to opposing traffic). Did you get a malfunction warning after the mod?
Old 08-07-2005, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
the glare is cause by two things...

1- the kelvin temp of the bulb is above that of ideal, which is 4300k, the closest duplication of natural sunlight.... higher temp rating give the effect of looking brighter cause its more blue, but the higher the temp, the less brighter it is... 4300 (stock) is the best

2- the additional glare is created by the fact that your stock OEM halogen housings are not equipped to handle Xenon bulbs, even if they have a H7 base attached. The problem is that the reflective lens inside the housing is not designed to cut off the Xenon beam pattern properly... if you look at any "True OEM" xenon setup, you'll see a very sharp cutloff line... the pics above, regardless of the pic quality, you don't see a sharp cutoff line...

While the upgrade may be infact cheap, its not correct... there's the cheap way of doing things, and there's the right way of doing things... each individual has their different set of priorities in life....
Old 08-07-2005, 10:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TresX
Actually it's not as bad as the pics seem. I'll take better pictures with a better camera. Like I said, it looks identical to any other xenon car I've seen on the street.
Please get a better camera
Old 08-08-2005, 12:04 AM

Here you go...with my CAMERA and not with my phone...ehem...

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Please get a better camera

For all the haters...here's some better pictures....The first two are the light pattern against the wall at night. Notice very little light bleeding. Pretty clean looking lines for flashlights if you ask me. Next two pics are frontal views first without fogs next with. Last is frontal view in the day.

Hey for 160 bucks...you can't beat it with a stick!!!

Last edited by TresX; 08-08-2005 at 02:05 AM.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Looks "nice"... for comparison... look at what a "real" xenon setup "should" look like...

Look at the left side of the wall, and see the extremely sharp cut-off line... thats how it "should" look like....

but, as you said, you got urself a nice cheap upgrade...

Old 08-08-2005, 01:54 AM

I have oem xenons in my clk and the cutoff is extremely low with them but it is even. I hate them maybe they need to be aimed up lol. They replaced one under warrenty because it broke and perhaps never aimed correctly, but the w209 xenons are so much better visability wise not sure if the projector has anything to do with that.

On another note i have installed regular D2R hids' in clk halogen housings and they definately illuminate the road better than my car. I was really dissapointed with the oe xenons that came in the K4 package with my car in 99. Good job on the mod, many people around my area choose to install hid's this way on there car most ppl on the forums are gonna be haters but have fun with your car do what makes you happy. Not everything costs an arm and a leg to do. I dont cut corners with my car but also dont waste money needlessly.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Just be careful not to get pulled over by those CA cops.. (man every thicket I've ever had has been in CA)... I had to spend better than $1200 to put Xenon's into my car... OEM all the way.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:20 AM

just realized i didn't blur out the plates....
Old 08-08-2005, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

just realized i didn't blur out the plates....
you didn't need to delete them... to be honest, no one really cares about the plates... I don't know why some people get so paranoid about posting a pic of their car and feel they need to blur it out...

a thousand different set of eyes are looking at your license plate each day as you drive, hows that any different?
Old 08-13-2005, 11:05 AM

lol....

Originally Posted by mmgrad
Looks "nice"... for comparison... look at what a "real" xenon setup "should" look like...

Look at the left side of the wall, and see the extremely sharp cut-off line... thats how it "should" look like....

but, as you said, you got urself a nice cheap upgrade...

For someone who appreciates only "real" xenons...why did you go to Costco to look into the flashlights?
Old 08-14-2005, 03:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

For someone who appreciates only "real" xenons...why did you go to Costco to look into the flashlights?
nah, i have a friend that works at costco (tire dep't)... and I told him about it, and he was intrigued about the idea because he thought it was a cheap way to upgrade HIDs on his prelude... I told him about the pros & cons just the same, but, he can care less as long as he can save a few bucks...
but hey, he, like others just want the brighter lights and saving a few bucks while doing so...

but, the day i told him about it, he calls me back and says all those close to him be sent all their units back to the Mfr that very same day...

btw, I don't even have a costco membership... i don't have any need to buy in bulk to ever have the desire to shop costco... i just buy things as i need...

and, if you think i'm attacking you or whatever, then, you are just paranoid... i'm just educating you and others who have not bothered to do their research before making such upgrades... like all those who think putting hids in a halogen housing is fine, or, that the higher the temp/color rating, the brighter it is...
Old 08-14-2005, 12:20 PM

ive noticed that everyone on the forums has something in their rears. If you arent doiugn a mod correctly or something its like theres a police department to tell you why your wrong. Bottom line everyone here owns theirs cars so do what you want and have fun!
Old 08-14-2005, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 CLK430
Originally Posted by x15jq
ive noticed that everyone on the forums has something in their rears. If you arent doiugn a mod correctly or something its like theres a police department to tell you why your wrong. Bottom line everyone here owns theirs cars so do what you want and have fun!
isnt that the whole point of the forums? advice, information, etc.?

wouldnt you want to know if you were doing something wrong?
Old 08-15-2005, 01:24 AM

No need for any argument. There was no offense taken and I was only bustin' his ***** about the costco thing. Bottom line is, I know it's not the proper way. I just thought it was pretty "neat" that you can actually do this with flashlights.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:44 AM
Banned

2000 CLK 430
No need for any argument. There was no offense taken and I was only bustin' his ***** about the costco thing. Bottom line is, I know it's not the proper way. I just thought it was pretty "neat" that you can actually do this with flashlights.
how long did this take.. any chance you could do this for me if you came to orlando..