CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Squeaky Dash now rock solid ! ! !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S63 AMG
Squeaky Dash now rock solid ! ! !

In a previous thread I talked about my problems with a squeaky dash. Although a credit card in a tight spot between the dash and the windshield fixed the problem, I decided to roll the dice and let my dealer (RUSNAK Pasadena) do a five hour surgery on my dash.

They ripped out the dash and found 2 loose and stripped screws, replaced them, and installed felt between the window and dash.

They had the car all day Monday and so far so good. I have been purposly hitting every pothole I can trying to recreate a squeak but my dash is now rock solid.

I use to be able to push on the dash and it would make a sound but no longer.

My service adviser was aware of my nervousness about them making the situation worse, but he assured me the guy who would be working on my car has done this to three other CLK's

Maybe I was just lucky but so far I would recomend the felt treatment to anyone with a similar problem.
Old 07-10-2002, 02:30 AM

2001 MB CLK55
Re: Squeaky Dash now rock solid ! ! !

Originally posted by donbiz
Maybe I was just lucky but so far I would recomend the felt treatment to anyone with a similar problem.
I think the dealer you selected had EVERYTHING to do with your success.

Rusnak Pasadena helped me out when the tranny on my CLK55 went belly up on the road. They pushed hard to get me a new (vs. repaired or installation of a rebuilt) transmission, and covered a number of little things with no prompting by me (like replacing my missing tire valve covers).
Old 07-10-2002, 07:29 AM

2001 CLK 320
Squeaky Dash

I'm glad to hear your problem was solved. My squeaking started after my windshield was replaced. Logic dicatates it is highly likely that the windshield is rubbing on the dash. However, I've been putting off the same repair because of my fear that things will get worse after the disassembly and reassembly. However, there may in fact be a different way to address the problem. I asked my tech if it is possible to insert the felt with the windshield removed. He indicated it was. Hence I may ask that instead of taking the dash apart he removes the windshield and installs the felt. (He is extremely good at his job, and most likely can do it without cracking the windshield) It is a sort of back door route to solving the problem, but a lot less invasive than the alterantive of taking the dash apart. If it doesn't work, maybe the squeak is something in the dash, in which case they can take it apart then. Wish me luck, squeaks and rattle drive me crazy.
Old 07-10-2002, 08:28 PM

2001 CLK430
I was able to easily find the location of my squeak and fix it by inserting a piece of black felt in the spot where the dash rubbing against the winsheild. No need to have the dealer take the entire dash apart.
Old 07-10-2002, 08:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E400 COUPE SOLD -> Porsche Taycan 4S
rusnak in pasadena is the dealer i go to also. they have, by far, the best customer service i have experienced at a mb dealer. so who cares if they dont halve a cooler w/ sodas or phones for you to use, i dont care about that either. its the service that counts. (sorry to go off topic) congrats on getting your problem solved.

B
Old 07-11-2002, 09:29 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 CLK320
Question to donbiz

Congrats Donbiz - you provide encouraging words. Was the fix under warranty? What was your loaner?
Old 07-11-2002, 11:11 AM

S63 AMG
Congrats Donbiz - you provide encouraging words. Was the fix under warranty? What was your loaner?
It was fixed under warranty with no loaner offered.

Rusnak is pretty close to my office so it's no big deal. The few times I have recieved a loaner , they have always been cheap Enterprise rentals.

Enterprise is the worst. I hate how they treat you, the cars are always dirty, and they are always trying to upsell you insurance and a nicer car. A loaner should be free and hassle free. If I wanted to rent a car I would go to Hertz

anyway it's been 4 days and I think it is safe to say that the rattles are all gone, the car shouldn't feel more solid but it does.

as a side note, one thing I really enjoy about going to the dealer is seeing all the mercedes lined up, both new and in for service, and realizing that I have the nicest looking car there (no 430 cabs on the lot that day). Including the Jag, Audi and Porche dealers next door.

Last edited by donbiz; 07-11-2002 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-11-2002, 11:30 AM

CLK 430
Cool !

Now all you have to do is get your rims fixed from purposely running into potholes!

Clearly...you don't live in Chicago! The potholes here are big enough to get lost in.....you need a bottle of water and a sandwich to make it to the other side!

q4