Notices
CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

W208 How To's

 
Old 05-25-2009, 02:18 PM
  #101  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 16
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK 55 AMG
I have another question for you.
I need to recharge my ac. i have attached the image. Can you please take a look at it and tell me if that is the low pressure port or not ?

Thanks,
Raj
Attached Thumbnails W208 How To's-img_0226.jpg  
rajramineni is offline  
Old 05-25-2009, 08:52 PM
  #102  
Super Member
 
wnycec's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New York City
Posts: 558
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 430
Originally Posted by rajramineni View Post
I have another question for you.
I need to recharge my ac. i have attached the image. Can you please take a look at it and tell me if that is the low pressure port or not ?

Thanks,
Raj
Thats on the driver's side of the engine correct? if so then yes its the low pressure port. Black twist knob. Just twist and you will see that you are looking for.
wnycec is offline  
Old 05-25-2009, 09:24 PM
  #103  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 16
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK 55 AMG
Yes it is on driver side.
But there is no black knob twist. I guess that port is missing that knob.
As in picture that port seems right one. I will try that one tomorrow.
rajramineni is offline  
Old 05-26-2009, 11:57 PM
  #104  
Super Member
 
unlukky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 637
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by rajramineni View Post
Yes it is on driver side.
But there is no black knob twist. I guess that port is missing that knob.
As in picture that port seems right one. I will try that one tomorrow.
I believe that the ports for high and low are idiot proof too. Most cars are. The recharge nozzle will not fit the High port. FYI.
unlukky is offline  
The following users liked this post:
e reyes (03-19-2016)
Old 06-20-2009, 01:50 AM
  #105  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320
MY CLK IS ACTING CRAZY THE SLOWS DOWN QUICKLY AFTER LETTING THE GAS GO THEN I FEEL A CLUNK WHAT COULD THAT MEAN I HAD THE TRANS SERVICE DONE BUT STILL A TERRIBLE RIDE
JAXHINTS is offline  
Old 06-22-2009, 11:17 AM
  #106  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,487
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
high / low ports

Yes, that picture is where the low port is, it's threaded, the high port is closer to the driver, you can use a pin adapter for the high port if you decide to go that route. (I only know because someone recently serviced my car from there.)

General question: Why do they say in those DIY freon canisters to use the low port? What is the difference?
Safet is offline  
Old 07-22-2009, 05:00 AM
  #107  
Super Member
 
unlukky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 637
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by JAXHINTS View Post
MY CLK IS ACTING CRAZY THE SLOWS DOWN QUICKLY AFTER LETTING THE GAS GO THEN I FEEL A CLUNK WHAT COULD THAT MEAN I HAD THE TRANS SERVICE DONE BUT STILL A TERRIBLE RIDE

Post this in the CLK320 (w208) section and you'll get better responses. Sounds like your car doesnt want to upshift. But I dont know.
unlukky is offline  
Old 08-01-2009, 04:29 PM
  #108  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: california
Posts: 18
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W218. W208
Unhappy

Originally Posted by newguy2008 View Post
Great info, thanks!

Your info helps explain what the 3rd connector is for in a CLK (Amp) which tells me that the deck that I installed last night is not using the Bose Amp, but rather the new deck's amp instead.

I also had to join the Battery wire with the accessory wire from the new deck to the RED with VIOLET strip wire to get the unit to turn on. Is there another wire that I need to connect the accessory wire to so that the unit can only be turned on if the ignition is in the "on" position?

Question: I have an after market doube din Pioneer Avic-d3 to install in my 2000 clk320. I bought a harness and connected everything but still does'nt have any sound.. Ive research and found that the bose amp needs to power up, So I found the amp and connected the red and violet to my battery and accesory wire to the new deck but still no sound. Am I missing something? Can somebody help me. please..=( thanks....
topak058 is offline  
Old 08-30-2009, 08:42 PM
  #109  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320 cabriolet
glove box help!!

My wife managed to break the catch on the glove box. The lock on the lid works fine, but the catch that the door latches to is broken. Has anyone had this problem and if so how did you fix it?
Thanks
carnut56 is offline  
Old 09-01-2009, 01:11 AM
  #110  
Super Member
 
unlukky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 637
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by carnut56 View Post
My wife managed to break the catch on the glove box. The lock on the lid works fine, but the catch that the door latches to is broken. Has anyone had this problem and if so how did you fix it?
Thanks
Post in the w208 forum for better responses...
unlukky is offline  
Old 12-27-2009, 09:55 PM
  #111  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Williams707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Posts: 1,223
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 CLK 320

Last edited by Williams707; 12-27-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Williams707 is offline  
Old 12-28-2009, 08:43 AM
  #112  
Member
 
face118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 115
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
00' CLK 430
Wheel Bearing repair

Hi there,
Any one know how to repair wheel bearing and control arm bushing?
Thanks,
face118 is offline  
Old 12-28-2009, 09:05 PM
  #113  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pleasanton CA
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK430 CAB, CLK55 CAB, BMW 545i
I have been using a 2001 CLK430 cab as a daily driver since it was new. I think the W208 is one of the best looking MB's of all times. It just looks right from any angle, top up or down. I was using 18 x 8.5 wheels on the front and 18 x 9.5 on the back with Dunlop SportMaxx 225 x 40/front and 255 x 35/back. I recently found a 2002 CLK55 AMG Cab with 20, 000 miles and bought it. It has factory AMG 17 inch wheels with Contisportcontact 17x45 front and 245x40 on the back. Just for fun, I took the 18's off of the 430 and put them on the CLK55. To my great surprise, the steering response was
decreased and I felt the overall handling was better with the 17's. I always thought plus one, etc. was a positive move. I put the 17's back on the CLK55 and no doubt the car is more responsive and handles better. My problem, I just bought a set of Dunlop Star 18's and new 18 inch wheels to go on the CLK55. I am thinking perhaps this was not a good move. The Conti 17's and the Sportmaxx 18's were running with the same or very cloe tire pressure. Any thought will be appreciated. Incidently, I am loving the 2002 CLK55 AMG. The torque is addictive. The ride is somewhat harsh of course, as compared to the CLK430, and the feedback from every little imperfection from the road is sometimes on the annoying side, but that's what you give up for corning and better handling. Has anyone lowered their W208 AMG Cab ? Would lowering and/or perhaps changing out some other suspension components improve the ride without destroying the great handling. I was happy to find this low mileage W208, as I much prefer the older MB's, I think the build quality is better than some newer ones. Years ago I had two 450 SEL's which were stellar cars. Anyway, it is fun to read the posts and would appreciate comments re: any Mods for the W208 CLK55 AMG Cab.
DHDOC is offline  
Old 03-22-2010, 01:07 PM
  #114  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 clk430
MAF sensor. I had a check engine light on and it came up with an o2 sensor code. I was told to clean and replace air filters and get a spray from CRC made to clean your MAF sensor. 10 spays and let it dry, put it back together and Poof! no more check engine light. I drove it 15 miles to the mall and when I started it back up to ge home light was out. A week later and light is still not back. Saved me from purchasing a new MAF sensor. Hope this helps someone.
Bigdaddy69 is offline  
Old 03-28-2010, 11:35 AM
  #115  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: So Cal
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 clk55, 99 v70, 99 jetta vr6, 78 280z w/sm blk chevy
Originally Posted by DHDOC View Post
I have been using a 2001 CLK430 cab as a daily driver since it was new. I think the W208 is one of the best looking MB's of all times. It just looks right from any angle, top up or down. I was using 18 x 8.5 wheels on the front and 18 x 9.5 on the back with Dunlop SportMaxx 225 x 40/front and 255 x 35/back. I recently found a 2002 CLK55 AMG Cab with 20, 000 miles and bought it. It has factory AMG 17 inch wheels with Contisportcontact 17x45 front and 245x40 on the back. Just for fun, I took the 18's off of the 430 and put them on the CLK55. To my great surprise, the steering response was
decreased and I felt the overall handling was better with the 17's. I always thought plus one, etc. was a positive move. I put the 17's back on the CLK55 and no doubt the car is more responsive and handles better. My problem, I just bought a set of Dunlop Star 18's and new 18 inch wheels to go on the CLK55. I am thinking perhaps this was not a good move. The Conti 17's and the Sportmaxx 18's were running with the same or very cloe tire pressure. Any thought will be appreciated. Incidently, I am loving the 2002 CLK55 AMG. The torque is addictive. The ride is somewhat harsh of course, as compared to the CLK430, and the feedback from every little imperfection from the road is sometimes on the annoying side, but that's what you give up for corning and better handling. Has anyone lowered their W208 AMG Cab ? Would lowering and/or perhaps changing out some other suspension components improve the ride without destroying the great handling. I was happy to find this low mileage W208, as I much prefer the older MB's, I think the build quality is better than some newer ones. Years ago I had two 450 SEL's which were stellar cars. Anyway, it is fun to read the posts and would appreciate comments re: any Mods for the W208 CLK55 AMG Cab.
I think we need to take into consideration the offset of your 18" wheels vs the 17" wheels, particularly at the front. Chances are that your 18" wheels have a greater neg offset, which pushes the centerline of the wheels outwards. Moving the centerline of the front wheels outward will increase the scrub radius. A more positive scrub radius generally makes steering response feel heavy and less lively. http://www.hrsprings.com/technical/scrub_radius
aliu is offline  
Old 06-03-2010, 06:29 PM
  #116  
Member
 
mrgoodcat66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: greensboro nc
Posts: 103
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 clk320
w208 w210 cluster and steering wheel removal and swap how to

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/inter...w210-w208.html

might need to make a user name to see it but its worth it
mrgoodcat66 is offline  
Old 06-13-2010, 11:34 PM
  #117  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK320
Hello everyone:

I have the most weird situation with my 99 CLK320.
I was driving to a friends house and the engine shut off when I parked.
I did try to started again and it cranks starts and when it revs to 1000rpm shut off again. it last less than one second and then it dies again.
I check the fuel pressure and it has 65psi.
I did plug an OBD2 scanner and there are no codes.
I change the battery and still the same problem.

Can anyone please help me with my problem?

Thanks
Jackxander is offline  
Old 07-19-2010, 07:34 PM
  #118  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 CLK 320
What are the interior light bulb sizes for 1999 CLK 320?
dc1225 is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 03:11 PM
  #119  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 clk 430
Any one knows how to replace the combination switch on the steering wheel? If so please fill me in on the details.. thanks
ehiggi65 is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 03:29 PM
  #120  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 97
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 clk500
Originally Posted by ehiggi65 View Post
Any one knows how to replace the combination switch on the steering wheel? If so please fill me in on the details.. thanks
here you go, i have alldata and WIS if anyone is interested pm me for price, super cheap
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
steeringwheel.pdf (28.6 KB, 1107 views)
rediahad is offline  
Old 08-21-2010, 02:47 PM
  #121  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK 430
I need help replacing the bulbs on my foglights... they are really hard to reach. Can anyone help?
Big Body Benz is offline  
Old 09-11-2010, 10:53 AM
  #122  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK 430
how to change the power steering pump on a clk 430. please help me.
cgriff568 is offline  
Old 09-11-2010, 06:54 PM
  #123  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 97
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 clk500
Originally Posted by cgriff568 View Post
how to change the power steering pump on a clk 430. please help me.
here ya go
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ACE - 0.pdf (32.2 KB, 769 views)
rediahad is offline  
Old 09-22-2010, 02:28 PM
  #124  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kansas City/Lawrence, KS
Posts: 249
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2001 CLK 430 w/5.4 swap, 2000 CLK430
post 12 appears to be a dead link. anyone know of another springs write up?
Just Is is offline  
Old 10-28-2010, 05:13 PM
  #125  
fyl
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
430 CLK
any help on replacing the Hood ornament (i know lame) or the drivers side door grip (vinyl peeling off).
fyl is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.71 average.

Quick Reply: W208 How To's


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: