CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

My Supercharger :0)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-21-2005, 02:20 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06' Clk 500 Cabriolet, 01' CL 55, 00' Clk 430
Originally Posted by bbearden
Those are very impressive numbers, given that our rides put out around 235 HP or so at the rear wheels from the factory. I know the Vortech's have a relatively high adiabatic efficiency, I'm just surprised that there is no detonation with 8 psi, given that the static CR on our ride is close to 10.25:1. Sounds like HOP has got their **** together. Did it take them long to tune the car once the blower was installed, or was it as easy as adjusting an FMU?

Yes, the numbers are very impressive but the power band are not what most v8 sc are known for (flat torque). I'm sure it way faster then stock but without that famous Mercedes flat torque band like with Kleemann, HPS...etc sc, you'll be playing catch up. Running at 8 psi without the IC is taking it to the max. I would love to see the AIT on an 8 psi of boost without IC. All we see here is hp gain but nothing showing so far how well this kit is tuned. Let see that same dyno chart with air fuel ratio, AIT...etc.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
Originally Posted by Clk&Slk
Yes, the numbers are very impressive but the power band are not what most v8 sc are known for (flat torque). I'm sure it way faster then stock but without that famous Mercedes flat torque band like with Kleemann, HPS...etc sc, you'll be playing catch up. Running at 8 psi without the IC is taking it to the max. I would love to see the AIT on an 8 psi of boost without IC. All we see here is hp gain but nothing showing so far how well this kit is tuned. Let see that same dyno chart with air fuel ratio, AIT...etc.
Linh - Considering most racing occurs at higher RPM, I won't have a problem at all. Keep in mind that while a car with a huge torque curve will have to "baby it" out of the hole (cause while you're smoking tires, you ain't going anywhere) while I'll more than likely already be through the intersection; and once a centrifugal car is going, good luck catching it. :0)

It's a lot of fun on canyon runs, too where you're actually selecting and holding specific gears. *sigh* If only I had a manual :0(

8psi without an intercooler is hardly taking it to the max. The car runs cool and doesn't detonate on pump gas. There's a comfortable margin between an 8psi max and the 11 psi pulley that would require an aftercooler (not an intercooler).

Blake - Or cars put down closer to 215-220 at the wheels stock. My 235 run was with the AMG airbox. Someone else on here posted a 251 number but that was with NO airbox at all.

Blake and Linh,

Air fuel was between 12:1 and 11.5:1 all the way across. Because of the way the kit's set up, all that required adjusting was the FMU. I only emailed myself the dyno you see, but when Josh R is back from vacation, I'll get the other one and post it (with the a/f curve). I'll also do a run with stock wheels and see where that put me. By then hopefully I'll have had some time to edit together a cool dyno vid from the footage I shot.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. For those that are in SoCal - I'm going to try and organize a track day where we can all have some fun with our cars. I've been very busy as of late, but this is something I really want to get going on...
Old 09-21-2005, 04:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Josh K
Linh - Considering most racing occurs at higher RPM, I won't have a problem at all. Keep in mind that while a car with a huge torque curve will have to "baby it" out of the hole (cause while you're smoking tires, you ain't going anywhere) while I'll more than likely already be through the intersection; and once a centrifugal car is going, good luck catching it. :0)
I don't know what fairy tale race your dreaming of but after looking at your HP on the dyno graph you'll be limping across that intersection you mentioned w/less than 125hp @ 2500rpms peaking up to a whopping 200hp between 3500-4000 rpm's boy you better get a special whiplash helmet with all that power!! the only thing that hop system will be good for is fwy racing..
Question: What are you talking about 8psi "Hardly taking it to the limit" for a non-intercooled set-up????Even my HPS w/intercooler is only running 7psi....I talked with the owner of Topline, he has an S500 w/Kleemann blower and they upped the boost to 8-9 and he even admitted to me that the car was HIGHLY UNRELIABLE AND RARELY DRIVEN because of this extra boost (And this is with an intercooler)

Last edited by Thericker; 09-21-2005 at 05:24 AM.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550 Coupe
thericker - if you look at the graph, the hp and torque are both higher than stock throughout the entire rpm range. i dunno if you're confusing light red for old hp like i did. old hp is shown in bright green right below the new hp curve.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
for comparison, here's a graph of ben's old kleemann

Performance
Kleemann Compressor
evosport/JP Performance Sport Headers
evosport/JP Performance 100% Stainless Quad Tip Sport Exhaust System
evosport Underdrive Pulleys
Old 09-21-2005, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S
Originally Posted by thericker55
Question: What are you talking about 8psi "Hardly taking it to the limit" for a non-intercooled set-up????Even my HPS w/intercooler is only running 7psi....I talked with the owner of Topline, he has an S500 w/Kleemann blower and they upped the boost to 8-9 and he even admitted to me that the car was HIGHLY UNRELIABLE AND RARELY DRIVEN because of this extra boost (And this is with an intercooler)
You're the first person to say something negative and in doing so show that you really don't know what you're talking about. You really need to learn about the difference between centrifugal blowers and positive displacement blowers. Your roots supercharger and Kleemanns both need an intercooler at much lower levels of boost. Centrifugals use completely different technology. To be honest, the boost can be upped on mine quite safely with no aftercooler, but for more efficient power, you would use one running an 11 lb. pulley (this has already been extensively tested/researched) on an M113.

And fairy tale race? Limping across an intersection? LOL How often do you go to drag strips, and how often have you raced centrifugally supercharged cars (or turbo cars for that matter)? You talk about my whopping 200 hp between 3500-4k, but what fairy tale race are you talking about that ends there? The shortest light to light I've ever done still includes 2nd gear. Driving a car with most of it's power on the bottom end, I'm sure you know that you can't really use all of your torque at a light, otherwise either ESP/ASR or your lack of traction will cause you to limp across the intersection.

I'm done responding to you; you'll probably want the last word (lol) but I'm not even going to entertain your ignorance.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E320CDI, CLK55, and a Smart
Please for everyone's sake, let's not turn this into a kleeman vs. HPS vs. HOP supercharger war. Josh selected HOP for his own personal use and that was his CHOICE. Let's leave it at that.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:34 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by Dan ****
Please for everyone's sake, let's not turn this into a kleeman vs. HPS vs. HOP supercharger war. Josh selected HOP for his own personal use and that was his CHOICE. Let's leave it at that.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
05 E55
Originally Posted by Dan ****

Wow, there are a lot of choices. Which one is better?

Just kidding.

Eitherway, I'm sure I speak for the majority of the NA/non boosted CLK'ers out there when I say whatever their choice of tuners and dyno graphs show, we're still envious!!!
Old 09-21-2005, 01:01 PM
Almost a Member!

99 CLK320 / 2003 WRX Wagon
Thats Awesome!! Keep us posted. I can't belive all of the haters here. Congrats!!
Old 09-21-2005, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
sorry for bringing in the kleemann and making it seem like a versus thread...i posted the graph because thericker was implying that the hop had unusually low power/torque below 4000rpm. i made sure to also note that he had headers and underdrive pulleys.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Josh K
You're the first person to say something negative and in doing so show that you really don't know what you're talking about. You really need to learn about the difference between centrifugal blowers and positive displacement blowers. Your roots supercharger and Kleemanns both need an intercooler at much lower levels of boost. Centrifugals use completely different technology. To be honest, the boost can be upped on mine quite safely with no aftercooler, but for more efficient power, you would use one running an 11 lb. pulley (this has already been extensively tested/researched) on an M113.

And fairy tale race? Limping across an intersection? LOL How often do you go to drag strips, and how often have you raced centrifugally supercharged cars (or turbo cars for that matter)? You talk about my whopping 200 hp between 3500-4k, but what fairy tale race are you talking about that ends there? The shortest light to light I've ever done still includes 2nd gear. Driving a car with most of it's power on the bottom end, I'm sure you know that you can't really use all of your torque at a light, otherwise either ESP/ASR or your lack of traction will cause you to limp across the intersection.

I'm done responding to you; you'll probably want the last word (lol) but I'm not even going to entertain your ignorance.
I hate to be negative here I realize you just got your car back and whatever system you chose should be loads of fun over stock, but the only reason I retorted was your description of a race between a roots blower w/intercooler and your centrifugal one. Are you going to sit there and tell us that AMG has it all wrong w/there current line up of kompressor cars w/HUGE amounts of USABLE TORQUE, and a flat steady rpm band??And your centrifugal torque starved system will prevail? Please it's just not gonna happen...TORQUE WINS RACES END OF STORY! And yes I know city racing can go higher into the rpm band, I was just using your description on who would make it through the intersection 1st...None the less I'm kinda feeling bad for raining on your parade here, So please enjoy your new power, I'm sure it's loads of fun over stock....
Old 09-22-2005, 10:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'03 E55 (My Daily), '01 ML 320 (Wifey), Twin Turbo '69 Camaro (In Progess)
With the Air Fuel ratio running that safe across the entire RPM curve, I'm very impressed by the setup! No doubt you could potentially see some gains with an aftercooler in stage II or III, but I think HoP engineered a well built kit and its nice to see a centrifugal kit on the market for a change.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:30 AM
Out Of Control!

Now where's the video?
Old 09-22-2005, 10:30 AM

2000 CLK 430
a la Anchorman

WHY IS EVERYONE SCREAMING!!!!!
Old 09-22-2005, 12:54 PM

MB
Congratulations on the new set up. Enjoy and keep us posted!!
Old 09-22-2005, 11:17 PM

W208 55 & R170 230
Welcome to the club (supercharaged club heeeee)....

Its looks very good in the numbers...

I have a custom C2 Procharger set up on my,,, but I could never get the temp. running this cool. what do you have in your raidator

and btw,. have you notice the engine cut off., when the MAF goes higher than 5Volt., ... since we have a lot of these problems with the blower

thanks
timmy
Old 09-22-2005, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Josh, the Kit and the power it puts out is straight sick. I was the one who got the 251 without the airbox. I would love to hear your car especially with the GReddy blow-off valve at the next GTG.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S
Originally Posted by SoCalCLK
Josh, the Kit and the power it puts out is straight sick. I was the one who got the 251 without the airbox. I would love to hear your car especially with the GReddy blow-off valve at the next GTG.
sounds good! I'll more than likely be at the Irvine on on the 15th. Now I just have to get my bumper repainted :0)
Old 09-22-2005, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S
Originally Posted by mtimmy
Welcome to the club (supercharaged club heeeee)....

Its looks very good in the numbers...

I have a custom C2 Procharger set up on my,,, but I could never get the temp. running this cool. what do you have in your raidator

and btw,. have you notice the engine cut off., when the MAF goes higher than 5Volt., ... since we have a lot of these problems with the blower

thanks
timmy
I'm using standard coolant in my radiator. I was thinking about going with Water Wetter, but right now I don't have a need to. I'm looking into getting a custom Aluminum radiator made (mainly for looks, but it might even bring the temps down even more).

The pipes are ceramic and heat barrier coated - that helps a lot.

As for drivability issues and engine cut-off, I've had absolutely no problems.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:02 AM

2002 CLK 430/2002 325i
WOW! Very nice set up....it will even look hotter with the polished valve covers and custom cover!!!
Old 09-23-2005, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
You said that aside from the “supercharger kit” and exhaust it’s stock. Does the kit come with cams, or do you use the factory ones? If factory, did you retard them? how much? Is there any problem with overlap? Did you get an exhaust analyzer done? If so, and you’re using factory cams, you’re probably seeing higher HC, CO, and O2 numbers across the board. If so, how much higher are they? Does the kit come with 210 AMG cams? If the kit comes with custom cams, how big a reduction in overlap do they have, and how much additional lift to make up for the extra time on the seat? I'm especially interested on the exhaust side. If they exist, can the aftermarket cams use the factory springs? Do you have the specs for the factory cams, and where did you get them? Any exhaust port work done as part of the kit?

How about ignition timing? Does the kit dial back timing due to the increased boost. How is that being done? Piggyback, reflashed ECU, or ??? Same plugs, colder? How much colder?

You said the AF dropped as low as 11.5 during the dyno run. Does it drop into the 10’s for long duration WOT road conditions so as not to superheat the combustion chamber? If so, is that being handled by a piggyback or an ECU flash?

Thanks
Old 09-23-2005, 11:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 silver
Originally Posted by MarcusF
You said that aside from the “supercharger kit” and exhaust it’s stock. Does the kit come with cams, or do you use the factory ones? If factory, did you retard them? how much? Is there any problem with overlap? Did you get an exhaust analyzer done? If so, and you’re using factory cams, you’re probably seeing higher HC, CO, and O2 numbers across the board. If so, how much higher are they? Does the kit come with 210 AMG cams? If the kit comes with custom cams, how big a reduction in overlap do they have, and how much additional lift to make up for the extra time on the seat? I'm especially interested on the exhaust side. If they exist, can the aftermarket cams use the factory springs? Do you have the specs for the factory cams, and where did you get them? Any exhaust port work done as part of the kit?

How about ignition timing? Does the kit dial back timing due to the increased boost. How is that being done? Piggyback, reflashed ECU, or ??? Same plugs, colder? How much colder?

You said the AF dropped as low as 11.5 during the dyno run. Does it drop into the 10’s for long duration WOT road conditions so as not to superheat the combustion chamber? If so, is that being handled by a piggyback or an ECU flash?

Thanks
You're makin my head hurt...
Old 09-23-2005, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
whoa nelly that's a ton of questions hahaha
Old 09-23-2005, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E320CDI, CLK55, and a Smart
I don't have the HOP kit but I will try to answer the questions:

Does the kit come with cams, or do you use the factory ones? Factory cams.

If factory, did you retard them? No changes were made to the intake or exhaust cams. Software changes were not made either. Software will adapt to the changes.

how much? unknown.

Is there any problem with overlap? unknown, but I would guess no problems.

Did you get an exhaust analyzer done? Do you mean a/f analysis? YES. Or smog check? I don't believe Josh has done that yet.

If so, and you’re using factory cams, you’re probably seeing higher HC, CO, and O2 numbers across the board. I would suspect the same. Not much though.

If so, how much higher are they? No smog has been done yet, so this answer is unknown.

Does the kit come with 210 AMG cams? As stated above, the cams were not changed.

If the kit comes with custom cams, how big a reduction in overlap do they have, and how much additional lift to make up for the extra time on the seat? I'm especially interested on the exhaust side. If they exist, can the aftermarket cams use the factory springs? Answered above. These questions are N/A.

Do you have the specs for the factory cams, and where did you get them? No, and n/a.

Any exhaust port work done as part of the kit? No.

How about ignition timing? Stock software was used.

Does the kit dial back timing due to the increased boost. Stock software was used.

How is that being done? Piggyback (NO), reflashed ECU (NO), or ??? (STOCK SOFTWARE) Same plugs, colder? I think Josh R uses one step colder copper plugs. How much colder? 1 step colder.

You said the AF dropped as low as 11.5 during the dyno run. Does it drop into the 10’s for long duration WOT road conditions so as not to superheat the combustion chamber? The A/F is not bad at all and does not drop in to the 10's for a long duration on WOT.

If so, is that being handled by a piggyback or an ECU flash? No reflash and no PB.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My Supercharger :0)