CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Radio not turning on after battery died out

Old 12-31-2005, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
335is
Radio not turning on after battery died out

ok so i left my car in my garage and went on vaction for a month and a half. today, when i came back the battery's dead, so i got a friend to jump start the car and it worked, BUT, strange things happen after the car is jumped.
1st: passenger window does not auot up or down from time to time, this has never happened b4 when i jump start the car
2nd: radio does not turn on at all, it's like its recieving no power at all, this has happened b4 when i left the car for about 3weeks but a jump start was not needed
3rd: abs, bas, and esp warning lights come on after the initial jump start, but after i turn off the car and back on, the lights dont show up anymore...

what i'm most concerned is the radio... the last time this happened, it took a few days with out doing anything to the radio for it to work again, but is there a way to make it work right away, cause i don't like driving with out music...

sorry if this has being covered... but thanks anyways...
Old 12-31-2005, 05:55 AM

C220 CDI
would take into mercs you shouldn't jump a modern merc car but charge it.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W208
radio code

Try 61511. This is the code on my 01'
Old 01-01-2006, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
05 E55
I think you have to call the dealer with your VIN # and they'll give you the code. Same thing happend to me...I've just been to busy to call them.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
If your battery has gone into deep discharge, a jump start does just enough
to get the car going, but little else. Be clear in understanding that the
alternator/charging system is not designed to resurrect a battery which has
undergone deep discharge. As swale said, it must be trickle charged for
several hours.

Also, one needs to determine the health of the battery by opening it up and
check the fluid level, as well as the specific gravity. Distilled water needs
to be topped off prior to trickle charging. Then, the specific gravity needs to
be checked.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:29 PM

335is
Originally Posted by str8ridin
I think you have to call the dealer with your VIN # and they'll give you the code. Same thing happend to me...I've just been to busy to call them.
well the thing is the radio won't even let me press any numbers , and i have that code on a card with the manuals. but it's fixed now, i pulled out the radio and unplugged everything and replugged everything back in...

and as for charging, i never knew i have to bring it back to benz for a battery charge... you know, it's benz they charge you money for everything out of warrenty, so i try to aviod the dealer whenever i can. But do they really charge you money for a battery charge?
Old 01-07-2006, 12:26 AM

2004 E55
Whats happens when your battery dies is your Mercedes BAS system is reset. Which in short means that your computer has to re-learn basic functions again. I recommend turning on the car and when you see the BAS indicator, don't turn off your car and restart it, but drive it with the light BAS and ABS light on. After about 10 minutes your system should re-program everything back into the CPU. You might want to try letting the windows up and down and trying to operate basic electrical componets while driving so they can be stored into the system....
After about 10 min turn your car on off and back on and the light should go out and everything should work again.

Let me know if this helps. T
Old 10-12-2015, 01:54 PM

2001 SL500
I had a similar problem. My top, windows and everything all work as they should with the sole exception of the radio. I do have the code, but the radio isn't on at all so I can't enter it. Do you have any ideas of what I can do to fix that?
Old 10-13-2015, 08:23 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by bnzcoupe
Whats happens when your battery dies is your Mercedes BAS system is reset. Which in short means that your computer has to re-learn basic functions again. I recommend turning on the car and when you see the BAS indicator, don't turn off your car and restart it, but drive it with the light BAS and ABS light on. After about 10 minutes your system should re-program everything back into the CPU. You might want to try letting the windows up and down and trying to operate basic electrical componets while driving so they can be stored into the system....
After about 10 min turn your car on off and back on and the light should go out and everything should work again.

Let me know if this helps. T
To reset ABS...just turn wheel all way left...all way right ...center...that's how to reset it.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:28 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by swale
would take into mercs you shouldn't jump a modern merc car but charge it.
If your car is the dead one, don't worry about it...hook up to proper jump sites.
Using your car as power source for a dead car can cause a surge back into your system and blow controls.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:43 PM

2000 MB CLK 320
I had same problem with my 2000 CLK 320. Here is the answer: 1) remove radio fuse (#10) under hood. 2) remove anti thief fuse (#5) in trunk. 3) Check fuse to be sure they are good. 4) Replace fuses. 5) Start car. 6) Word code will come up on radio screen. 7) enter 5 digit code using radio keypad (to right). 8) the word OK will appear in lower right corner. 9) just below OK is a button, press it. Radio will now come on. Takes all of 5 minutes and you're good to go. Park Place Mercedes said "only a dealer can fix the problem and it will be about 1 1/2 hour labor to pull the radio."
Old 01-23-2020, 10:00 AM

2000 CLK320 Cabriolet 145K miles
Originally Posted by Peter596
I had same problem with my 2000 CLK 320. Here is the answer: 1) remove radio fuse (#10) under hood. 2) remove anti thief fuse (#5) in trunk. 3) Check fuse to be sure they are good. 4) Replace fuses. 5) Start car. 6) Word code will come up on radio screen. 7) enter 5 digit code using radio keypad (to right). 8) the word OK will appear in lower right corner. 9) just below OK is a button, press it. Radio will now come on. Takes all of 5 minutes and you're good to go. Park Place Mercedes said "only a dealer can fix the problem and it will be about 1 1/2 hour labor to pull the radio."
The above procedure did not work. Power is found at the head unit but it will not turn On at all
Mine is also a 2000 CLK320

Last edited by edward block; 01-23-2020 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Add car make/model