CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Guess who beat a M5 tonight!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2001, 01:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Guess who beat a M5 tonight!

Yep, today in Tustin on a pretty nice street I passed an M5 before construction cones turned the road into one lane. Hoping to egg him on, instead of braking behind the other times, I downshifted so he wouldn't see brake lights. It worked, he flashed his lights a few times, and once the lanes opened up we went weaving down the road at 99 mph. Unfortunately for me, the light in front of us turned red, and we had to stop. I was on the left, he was on the right. I lowered my girlfriend's side window and we smiled at eachother as she proceeded to grip her seat and the side armrest. I turned my ESP off, looked forward and waited to get spanked when the light turned green. Sorry all you BMW owners, but this M5 got beat by a car length, and didn't make it past me. I personally think it must have been his shifting skills, but I don't care. Bottom line is:
Mach430: 1
BMW M5: 0
Old 12-13-2001, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 CL63
I also have a 2001 M5. The M5 outaccelerated my friend's CLK55. I doubt the other driver was on full throttle.
Old 12-13-2001, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
With all due respect, even with a poor shifting driver, the M5 should still beat the CLK430 handily. But never-the-less, a race is a race and this one was won by the underdog, so congrats on an M5 kill.

I wouldn't go looking to try to up the score to 2-0 though
Old 12-13-2001, 11:27 AM

CLK55, Mini S
Talking

Cool narrative Mach.

As far as Jay's counter goes...who cares. There was a moment, the moment's gone. Mach430 killed. M5 choked. ***** beats brawn. End of story.
Old 12-13-2001, 11:28 AM

2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster (hardtop current ly attached)
new M5 or old M5??? and you're SURE it was an M5 and not a gussied-up 528???
Old 12-13-2001, 01:09 PM

2007 E63 AMG, 2009 V-Max
Talking

This is the second M5 kill by a CLK I've heard of this week. A friend in PR who had a 55AMG whipped one recently.
That's CLK 2- M5 0.
Old 12-13-2001, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally posted by JayCLK430
I also have a 2001 M5. The M5 outaccelerated my friend's CLK55. I doubt the other driver was on full throttle.
Hmmm.. Drew (one of the Moderators here), tells me about his friends that have M5's .. He says he kills them with his E55 all the time....
Old 12-13-2001, 03:40 PM

'01 E55 AMG - Brilliant Silver (very rare)/ Charcoal, K2a
Hey Mach, Cool story!

I'm coming up on my one year-anniversary with my Beast (next week), and your story reminded me of my first encounter with a M5, which I posted on 12/27/00 on the old board:

---------------------------------------------------------
OK ... get comfy ... here we go:

I flew into 'Jersey (from Florida) to sign the paperwork and check-out the beast before putting it on a carrier to ship back to Flordia (I also had business in the NY area, so the trip wasn't just for paperwork). After signing the paperwork and getting the delivery tutorial, I wanted to take my new toy for a spin. Not a minute into the drive I had made my decision: I wasn't letting this car out of my hands for a minute ... that's right ... I decided to cancel the carrier, cancel my plane ticket ... cancel my meetings ... and drive this masterpiece of a car home to Florida.

This car is simply amazing (Silver/Charcoal, K2a, 19 miles on the clock @ delivery) ... in both looks and performance. I now firmly disagree with those who have commented on the "overly sensitive touch" one needs to launch the E55 at normal speeds: there is no such sensitivity. The pedal feel is perfect: not to light, not to heavy.

The ride is much less harsh than I had expected as matter of fact, it is darn near luxurious. When you hit a bump, you feel it, but it doesn't make you say 'ouch'. The ridgid body and the suspension just soakes it up and disipates the harshness.

Through the snow-flurries in Delaware and Maryland, and the pre-Christmas traffic in Virginia, the only pain in the neck was varying my speed to comply with the break-in process. I would pull over occasionally for coffee, but it was really an excuse to thumb through one of the seven owner's manuals and check out the next set of features I would play with over the next few hours (you must get the 'Voice Activated Phone' option [K2a]... it not only allows you to use the phone hands-free, but you can also use the Radio/CD/Cassette via voice commands as well ... "CD #6 ... Track 5", or "Radio ... frequency 95.5" ... then Bam, you've got it playing, all without taking your hands off the wheel!!!).

The ride was an absolute pleasure and quite uneventfull until an hour from my destination. Throughout the entire ride my thoughts continued to drift (in between using voice commands to change tracks on my Sinatra CD and using the voice activated Timeport telephone that came installed and activated) to the time when I would eventually meet up with an M5.

Well, 26 hours after delivery, with one hour left in my trip, I was cruising I-75 down the west-coast of Florida at a leisurly 80 mph (I now had approximately 940 miles on the clock). It was about 6:30 pm and the sun had just set. In my rearview I could see Zenon's cutting through the slower traffic and approaching rapidly. When the Zenon's got to my back bumper they just stopped, and then slowly inched along side me. I glanced over and saw a BMW. In an instant the BMW began to pull away. It was like the God's were giving me my wish ... my E55 had gone through its break-in period ... the road ahead was clear of cars (and hopefully troopers) ... and then the emblem on the right-rear-trunk lid came into focus ... M5.

I don't even remember the concious thought, but my right-foot just went to the floor. Within an instant I was on the M5's ***. I let off my gas pedal. I could see the rear of the M5 suddenly tuck down ("down-shifting" I thought), I gave it a nano-second to be sure he was excelerating , and I floored it again. " OH MY GOD " I thought as my whole body felt the gutteral-bubbling coming from underneath the front of my beast as it literally shot forward with seemingly unending thrust ... for the first time for me.

As we shot down I-75 at 95+ mph (I was too numb ... I didn't dare take my eyes off the road at that speed to see exactly how fast we were going), I noticed that we were coming up to slower traffic.

We slowed to about 75 mph in the fast lane as an 18 wheeler attempted to pass a passenger car. As the 18 wheeler turned back into the right-hand lane, I saw the rear-end of the M5 tuck down once again. No concious thought from me. Pedal to the floorboard. As we hit 110, I am still not sure if my body was shaking from the child-like giggles coming from my mouth or the gutteral-rumblings eminating from the engine of my beast. Look Ma, I'm flying!

More traffic up ahead, and the same scenario: 18 wheeler passing a passenger car. But just as the 18 wheeler in the left lane cleared the passenger car in the right lane, the rear of the M5 tucked down and it shot over into the right-hand lane in front of the passenger car. No thought. Pedal to the floorboards, I was on his *** in an instant. Uh oh! ... there was a car in the right-hand lane that I didn't see ... the opening between the 18 wheeler in the fast lane and the passenger car in the slow lane was closing fast ... the M5 in front of me had a second to get into the fast lane before crashing into the rear of the slower passenger car ... it made it ... but the 18 wheeler had accelerated just enough to close the gap ... only by a bumper ... but just enough so I couldn't get through.

I let off the gas, hit the brakes (they are just simply awe-inspiring by the way!) and pulled into the fast lane behind the 18 wheeler. I thought that it would take the trucker a few seconds to pass the slower car in the right hand lane, move over into the slow lane, and I would catch up with my nemisis. A few seconds went by .... and a few more ... but the trucker wasn't pulling over ... as a matter of fact, he was slowing down!

I began to realize that the dream was over. The M5 was now long gone, and I had missed my chance. This time. (after all, I'm more likely to see another M5 on the road than another E55).

After about 5 heart-stopping minutes, the trucker finally sped up and pulled over. "The *******", I thought, "was doing this on purpose". The first trucker we sped past probably called to the second trucker on the CB and told him that some SOB's in German super-cars were reaking havok and coming in his direction.

Oh, well. My day will come ... and my beast will be ready.

The final hour of my ride home was made with an ear to ear grin. I cannot say enough good things about the E55. Luxury. Solidity. Amenity. and Power, Power, Power . But only when you want it: normal driving (which I will be doing the majority of the time) is just that ... normal. The only noticable change from the norm is a more throaty growl from the front half of the car. The beast seems to ride on rails (as I noticed when taking an unfamiliar off-ramp in South Carolina ... recommended 20 mph exit hairpin, at 55 mph).

Sorry to cut this short (LOL), but I have to go out to the garage, take one last gander for the day, and say goodnight to my beast ... the finest vehicle I have ever owned.
---------------------------------

In the past year, I've had many 'kills'. I've never been able to find another M5 on the highways ... but have often gone head-to-head on surface streets. From 0-80, the 3 times I've run against a M5, I've been at least a car length ahead, before a traffic light or my better judgment casued me to shut it down. And have been challenged at least 4 or 5 times while cruising at speed down surface streets, and have always gotten and maintained at least a half-a-car lead.

Based on my experience, the times a M5 would pull ahead of me is over 80 mph (way-big HP advantage) and at other times if there was a better-than-average driver at the wheel (really knew how to use a stick).
Old 12-13-2001, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
You should have been a writer Drew Sweet post, I am surprised I never saw it originally.
Old 12-13-2001, 04:31 PM

2010 CL63
Originally posted by awiner

Hmmm.. Drew (one of the Moderators here), tells me about his friends that have M5's .. He says he kills them with his E55 all the time....
awiner:

When I tested acceleration between my M5 and my friend's CLK55, we launched from a rolling start to rule out the M5's manual transmission advantage. Both of us turned off traction control. We were pretty much even up to about 65 mph but then I started to slowly pull away from him.

Of course street races have many variables that can affect outcome other than brute hp. An adept driver can more than make up for a lack of hp. In my case, I tried to rule out as many variables as possible when comparing cars. I believe both cars have similar hp/weight ratios (I haven't calculated it exactly) so I wouldn't necessarily assume that one car can "spank" another. In any case, I didn't mean to start a "this car is faster" debate but it appears I may have touched some peoples' nerves (not you). I'm perfectly happy with both my CLK430 and M5. I would love to have a CLK55 to replace the 430. I recently rode in the passenger seat of a Kleeman supercharged E55 and that was one of the fastest cars I've ever ridden in. The car spun the tires in just about every gear!
Old 12-14-2001, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Sports Coupe
hey, a win is a win!
Good going man!!
Old 12-14-2001, 12:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks.. Anyone dare me to go to the BMW boards with this? j/k
Old 12-14-2001, 12:39 AM

Originally posted by Mach430
Thanks.. Anyone dare me to go to the BMW boards with this? j/k
Nah, let them come to us!

That really happened Mach. I posted my post above on the old forum, and got a reply for a re-match from a S. Florida M5 owner. We never could hook up, but he invited me to a local M5 get-together.

Simon was going to be in town that weekend, so we both crashed the party (I never come to a party empty handed ... but a bottle of wine or some food just didn't seem like the right thing to bring ... so instead, I brought a case of BMW Oil! ... well, at least is something those M5'ers can really use! Big laughs ... and they all took a bottle home too!)

Not that I'm taking credit for it or anything ... but Simon drove my Beast after the party ... and a few weeks later he owned one himself!?

While were on the subject: the mods. have been tossing this around, and it would be good to get your opinion: do you think we should have a 'Kill" forum here at MBworld?
Old 12-14-2001, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Drew wrote:
While were on the ubject: the mods. have been tossing this around, and it would be good to get your opinion: do you think we should have a 'Kill" forum here at MBworld?
As the frequency of posts starts to take on an exponential dimension, a "performance forum" should be filed as a future consideration in response to such a possibility.

Right now, I feel that this forum is more than adequate to handle "Performance" subjects.

However, the Mag-Moss act might require special consideration.
Old 12-14-2001, 01:10 AM

Originally posted by karl k
... the Mag-Moss act might require special consideration.
Too funny: The Magg-Moss Forum!
Old 12-14-2001, 01:27 AM

C230K
Kill forum, yea.... Paint the 'M5's on your fender skirt. ;-)

Drew, you ARE a writer. Wonderful story.

My heart actually beat faster as I read it. I know that feeling of not being able to even look down at the speedometer for a moment and take your eyes off the road as you weave through traffic.

I also know that road as I was in the Army at Ft. Bragg in NC and would regularly drive down to visit a friend who had a computer company in Clearwater.

I would be amazed, the first time, at how these 18 wheelers would HAUL f nnn *** through those turns.

I was in a Subaru 4 wd sport type coupe, I forget the model now. And I ended up just following this fu c ke n 18 wheeler, because it was dark, I was tired, and I didn't know the road, and this guy was smoothly cutting into the opposing lane and taking every turn like he was driving an Indy car. Not harsh at all but smooth as hell!

Anyway, good story!!!
Old 12-14-2001, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by todd
Kill forum, yea.... Paint the 'M5's on your fender skirt. ;-)
Drew, you ARE a writer. Wonderful story.
Thanks Todd!

Re: the 'Kill Forum' ... M5's or maybe even Roundel's
Old 12-16-2001, 02:04 AM
Banned

Smart Car
M5 kill

Hey Drew, where is the M5 kill in your story , from your story you were at M5's *** all the time
Old 12-16-2001, 02:42 AM

Re: M5 kill

Originally posted by Fast Eddy
Hey Drew, where is the M5 kill in your story , from your story you were at M5's *** all the time
Doh!!!

1. Go back and read my post again ...

2. Look for the following words (HINT: they are at the very beginning)

" ... your story reminded me of my first encounter with a M5 ..."

Care to withdraw or modify your question now?

(speaking of '***' ... looks like you were thinking with yours when you made your post huh!?)

Oh, BTW: if the big words i used in my 'story' threw you off ... skip to the bottom of that post ... there you will find my M5 'Kills' to date.

Doh!!!

Last edited by Drew; 12-16-2001 at 03:01 AM.
Old 12-16-2001, 03:16 AM
Banned

Smart Car
KILL

I went back and all there is is how you were looking at his badge and if his *** was ducking.
Old 12-16-2001, 03:22 AM
Banned

Smart Car
Doh!!

"Doh!!!" is the big word you were talkin about? It is biiiiiiiiig and it is baaaaad!!!
YOu were definitly tramatized by that encounter of a third kind with that M5---- why else would you look for a rematch and go to a M5 meeting with lotsa oil if you won?
In your defence you were driving from NY wich is a long trip and you were tired versus that ***** in M5 was probaly late to pick up his hot chick to bang her in the back seat of his M5.

Last edited by Fast Eddy; 12-16-2001 at 05:03 AM.
Old 12-16-2001, 03:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
.......and this is why we don't have a "Kill Section"
Old 12-16-2001, 03:27 AM
Banned

Smart Car
big words

from your responce it also sounds like you have bad temper--please confirm. A moderator should be more in control of himself like Mr. Vanos is a good example.
Old 12-16-2001, 03:34 AM
Banned

Smart Car
kill section

Mach430 story was plain and simple and it is was a kill.
I do agree that a kill is a kill even if M5 driver would suddenly become gasssy aand had to pull up to buy TAM-ZX .
Drew's story is very complicated with lots of looking at the "xenons coming on"....."M5 badge" and "*** ducking" so I got confused and had a question, what is wrong with that?
Old 12-16-2001, 03:36 AM

Re: KILL

Originally posted by Fast Eddy
I went back and all there is is how you were looking at his badge and if his *** was ducking.
Well, at least your persistant Fast Eddy! But, your also still wrong.

I wasn't talking about kills in my repost of the old board story ... just an ENCOUNTER (encounter: to meet or come upon; to meet as an adversary or enemy ... Webster's Collegiate Dictionary ... 12th Edition). No mention of 'Kill' or 'Beat' or 'Win' in there huh?

Here is the text of the current addition I made to my old story ... which even you should be able to find at the bottom of that re-post:

In the past year, I've had many 'kills' (emphasis provided for Fast Eddy's edification). I've never been able to find another M5 on the highways ... but have often gone head-to-head on surface streets. From 0-80, the 3 times I've run against a M5, I've been at least a car length ahead, before a traffic light or my better judgment casued me to shut it down. And have been challenged at least 4 or 5 times while cruising at speed down surface streets, and have always gotten and maintained at least a half-a-car lead.

Do I have to say it again? Yeah, I think so ....

Doh !!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Guess who beat a M5 tonight!