CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Just installed intake on CLK320 (pix)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 CLK 320
Just installed intake on CLK320 (pix)

well at first i was a little skeptical on this but im glad i got it.intallation was easy,old air box snapped right off and new intake only took 15min to install. i noticed power for sure,and a nicer sound coming from the engine. i was thinking of doing a dyno but didnt really wana spend the dough when i knew i would either feel a difference or not. only thing now is that im goin to upgrade to a green air filter.here are two pics i took during installation. i also took it out for a run and seen that i got .2 seconds faster on 0-60.

Last edited by krayzie_e99; 04-02-2006 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:11 PM

CLK/ML
Heh, I was just thinking about doing that. You sold me.

Oh, and clean your damn engine bay

Where did you get it? Ebay dealers with the $25 shipping charge are pi$$ing me off

Last edited by ThrillKill; 04-02-2006 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:33 AM

2000 CLK 320
yup,got it on ebay. full price was under 60 buks,u cant beat that.i know alota peeps were skeptical because its soo cheap but im loving it. lol, ima clean the engine bay soon
Old 04-03-2006, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
Looks nice. After you get the Green Filter you need to also look into some insulation. That cone is very close to the exhaust manifolds and is probably sucking in much hotter air than the box was. Also, how sturdy is that bracket? It looks a bit flimsey.

Im not trying to knock it, as you know. I think this is a great upgrade with alot of potential. How did you measure your 0-60? What was it?
Old 04-03-2006, 03:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' CLK55
Originally Posted by King320
Looks nice. After you get the Green Filter you need to also look into some insulation. That cone is very close to the exhaust manifolds ?
that is exactly what i was thinking.........it actually may slow the car down a bit on hot days, but I'm sure it will help a little bit on cold nights.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK W208
watzup krayzie_e99. it looks great just an advice, make sure you air the **** out of that filter with a gas station air pump. because all these filters are oiled and when you put them on the car they seem to work great and you feel a little more power but after about two weeks the MASS SENS will burn out, it usually burns out when you press on the gas to do a down shift because it tries to suck alot of air and more oil comes out of the filter and hit the resistor on the air mass and it burns. my personal eperience try a A'pexi filter they are the least oiled or the aluminum BLiTZ filter. and you can take the engine cover offand there is a little plastic box that's connected to the intake pipe with a small conector take that off and cover the opening will a cap or something and the intake will sound much nicer and you get more air into the throttle body.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by VIPclk320
watzup krayzie_e99. it looks great just an advice, make sure you air the **** out of that filter with a gas station air pump. because all these filters are oiled and when you put them on the car they seem to work great and you feel a little more power but after about two weeks the MASS SENS will burn out, it usually burns out when you press on the gas to do a down shift because it tries to suck alot of air and more oil comes out of the filter and hit the resistor on the air mass and it burns. my personal eperience try a A'pexi filter they are the least oiled or the aluminum BLiTZ filter. and you can take the engine cover offand there is a little plastic box that's connected to the intake pipe with a small conector take that off and cover the opening will a cap or something and the intake will sound much nicer and you get more air into the throttle body.
Good ideas. I hadnt thought about using an air pump to get the oil out. Also, the intake silencer removal is an easy mod to do. YOu might want to go by home depot or lowes and get a black rubber plug and some silicone adhesive to plug the hole with. I had a writeup done on it, but i lost it when my .mac site went down. If you need advice on the silencer removal let us know, ill take pics of my setup. I would still go with a Green Filter though, the twister intake is a great filter. also you can run a piece of pipe out the front of the filter down into the area behind your bumper for a ram air effect. It might cut down on the noise a bit tho. Their regular filters would do well too, but you'd have to fabricate some sort of insulation box.

You might actually want to check out audiworld.com on this one. The guys over there have been into this and more complicated intake mods for a while. The do stuff like big bore throttle bodies, Wider MAFS, and Silicone Hoses. The rules are cooler, straighter, larger airflow makes more power. It can get to the point where you are actually outflowing your exhaust system tho, and you need to mod that as well. Keep an eye on your car's performance and reliability as well, air fuel mixtures might be an issue somewhere down the line, but i doubt it.

This is the one i was thinking of when i said "heat shielding"
http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/783001.phtml

You should note that these audi intakes have a "heat shield" that comes with them that is little more than a piece of metal that sticks up inbetween the engine and the cone. It isnt good for much, but it does serve as a good mounting point for the heat shielding material. It might be worth fabricating one.

Last edited by King320; 04-03-2006 at 11:28 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 04-03-2006, 07:36 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Without fabricating or purchasing, if possible, an insulated heat shield of sorts, you definately will have a loss in horsepower but a gain in intake noise. The hotter the engine compartment gets, the more horsepower and engine efficiency your car will lose. Under the hood temps can get very very hot,there is a good reason why the stock air intake is located where only outside air can be taken in. On the other hand, your intake system does look nice, even though to me, it is not practical modification.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
^ this ^ is the typical argument made against intakes and it is flawed on several counts. While the principle is essentially correct (hotter air is less dense), people tend to overestimate the efficiency of the stock air box in keeping out heat, meaning that its not like you're moving from taking in room temperature air to taking in oven air. People also tend to forget about the velocity of the air, the stock box, and plumbing is very angular and sloppy. Look at the hose connecting the maf to the tube that leads to the throttle body if you want to see what i mean. Smoothing this airflow out with a silicone tube will help velocity as well.

Thus, you're not going to "definitely" lose power. The noise does add a bit onto the butt-dyno numbers, which is why you should have it dynoed. Our stock airboxes are just as prone to heat as these open element filters are. If you dont believe me, drive your car around for an hour or so, and stick a thermometer in the air box.

It might also help to build some sort of air dam behind the grille that would force ambient air over to the cone's location. Just be careful not to aim it right at the cone, dont want bugs and such in there.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:15 PM

2000 CLK 320
well there is already a vent where the old air box was attached to. air coming from the grill reaches the filter. do u guys think its a good idea to turn the filter more to the left to get it further away from the engine??also,thanx for all the advice.im definately gona look into some insulation like that audi has
Old 04-04-2006, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
The way to check temps is to either look at the reading from the existing intake air thermosensor, or to install an aftermarket one. Installing an aftermarket one is the easier route (real simple), but then you have to put the gauge someplace. Another method is to buy an infrared pyrometer and check the temps at the air flow sensor immediately after coming to a stop (before heat soak). It's common for Bosch FI systems to limit the timing advance if the intake air temps are above what the factory would consider "normal".

Pyrometers are inexpensive and can be used for other things like checking your alignment (tire temps), determining the correct air pressures for your tires (more tire temps), seeing if the radiator's clogged (cold spots), determining whether your AC is really blowing cold (home and car), and a million other things.

Last edited by MarcusF; 04-04-2006 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:32 AM

2000 CLK 320
dam i just got home after losing a race. i raced my roommate,he has a 03 bmw 330. even though i lost,i did better than before with stock airbox. he beat me in the 1/4 mile by car length.before he used to do it way more than that,lol. dam,i shoulda got a 430. o wells....