CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Advice please: need new tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2001, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice please: need new tires

I need to replace the tires on my CLK 320. They have the 430 wheels on them (staggered) with some semi-bald Michelin Pilots (not Pilot Sports).

I found that the current tires don't quite cut it here in the Pacific Northwest with all the rain. Any recommendations on a set of tires that would be better able to handle rain?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-15-2001, 01:34 PM

Silver CLK 430
I just replace my semi bald contis with new tires made by Michelin. They're called Pilot Sport A/S. They supposedly have excellent wet traction. I can't tell you too much about how they handle yet, since I've had them on only 2 days. I notice though that in terms of road noise they seem to be at least as noisy as the conti's, not sure if it is because they haven't been broken in yet. The key thing that hooked me onto these tires is their treadwear rating of 400, which is one of the highest I've ever seen in a Z rated tire. This set should last at least 45,000 miles.

They also have a pretty rad tread pattern....

PS. I think costco (sam's club) carries these (as well as tire rack), but don't make the same mistake I did, and try to get their tire center to install your tires. These guys don't normally install staggered wheel / tire configurations (might be ok for your CLK320 since I think you don't have a staggered config). It took these guys 3 times to get them installed correctly..... man what a headache. they kept putting the wrong tires on the wrong rim, and the wrong rim on the wrong wheel.....

I learned my lesson...
Old 12-15-2001, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 E63, Audi R8 4.2, Panamera S, Range Rover Sport GT
I have heard good reviews of those same pilots as well.
Old 12-15-2001, 03:37 PM

i agree with bigbadpig go with the >>>>

Pilot Sport A/S
Old 12-15-2001, 06:17 PM

Thanks for the advice guys! Actually, I do have the staggered setup.... I bought the wheels from a 430 (actually, it was Ian's 430, if anyone around here still remembers him). I'll be sure to bring it to someone who knows how to install them properly.

Bigbadpig: I think you mean Y-rated. I don't think these tires come in Z-rated.

Last edited by A.Emgee; 12-15-2001 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-15-2001, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350, S320, Mini Cooper S
I've had my Pilot Sport (not the A/S one) for a couple of weeks now and they have excellent wet traction.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/michel...ilot_sport.jsp

Hope that helps.
Old 12-16-2001, 03:18 PM

Silver CLK 430
I think you mean Y-rated. I don't think these tires come in Z-rated.
you're right they are Y rated (although some of the other tire sizes are W rated)

I've broken them in a little more in the past few days, and other than a slight increase in road noise, these tires definitely have much better grip on dry roads compared to my contis. Although I have to admit, my contis were pretty worn down so it might not be a fair comparison

Haven't had a chance to try these on wet, but they must be tons better than my conti's. With the power that the clk engine puts into the rear tires, and the semi bald front tires. I was triggering ESP all over the place without even trying......

By the way, avoid those new 'noise cancelling' Bridgestones (not sure about the model number) I heard from past postings that after about 5000 miles the noise canceling effect goes away, and the tires start wailing like a banshee.... ;-)
Old 12-17-2001, 04:47 AM

i really hate my Perelli's P7000 SuperSports because they are NOISY as hell but they are a joy to drive in the snow and rain. great wet weather traction... they are also prolly the cheapest $$ you'll find in a low profile tire.