CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Mercedes Dealership vs Certified Auto Mechanic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 430 Convertible
Question Mercedes Dealership vs Certified Auto Mechanic

It's time for Service A on my 01 CLK. I received a notice in the mail from Germantown, MD Euro Motors advertising $495.95 for Svc A which includes detailing the car, which I'm not interested in. I take my other automobile to a Certified Auto Mechanic who tells me he also works on Mercedes. He is the proud owner of an AMG 55. He says he will do Service A for much less. I keep my service log current and the dealership documents the work I have done in the log. My question is: By having someone other than Mercedes do the work will the service record still be recognized for say a mercedes trade in or selling the vehicle out right? Is there anything else I need to be aware of when taking the CLK elsewhere?
Old 04-21-2006, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
I don't think it should be an issue. Lots of people service their cars at independent shops. You won't be able to advertise "all work done at dealership," but I'm not sure how important that is to a buyer. I know I wouldn't care...as long as the work was done somewhere.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:26 PM

2000 CLK 430
Ms CLK, I think it is a great idea to seek asistance from the certified mechanic--especially since you say that you already take your other vehicle there...I also received that quote from Euro in G-town...I go to Mitch Carr's in the Kensington/Rockville area--much cheaper and they are recommended by many "experienced" membors on this forum...good luck
Old 04-23-2006, 09:06 PM

CLS550
CLK430girl & Ms CLK,

can i ask roughly how much the independents are charging for A & B services? are most services like 10-20% lower than local dealers?

thx in advance.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Ms CLK
My question is: By having someone other than Mercedes do the work will the service record still be recognized for say a mercedes trade in or selling the vehicle out right? Is there anything else I need to be aware of when taking the CLK elsewhere?
As long as the maintenance work is done (and on time), where the car is serviced, assuming they are a quality shop, is not important IMO.

Complete and detailed service records by a qualified tech are much more important to me than splotchy records for a dealer maintained car.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:54 PM

CLK 430 Convertible
Originally Posted by midget fidger
I don't think it should be an issue. Lots of people service their cars at independent shops. You won't be able to advertise "all work done at dealership," but I'm not sure how important that is to a buyer. I know I wouldn't care...as long as the work was done somewhere.
Thanks for your response, I appreciate it.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:56 PM

CLK 430 Convertible
Originally Posted by MagmaSilk
CLK430girl & Ms CLK,

can i ask roughly how much the independents are charging for A & B services? are most services like 10-20% lower than local dealers?

thx in advance.
Magma Silk, I do not have an exact quote as yet for Svc A, but will let you know when I do. Ms CLK

Trending Topics

Old 04-24-2006, 02:00 PM

CLK 430 Convertible
Originally Posted by CLK430girl
Ms CLK, I think it is a great idea to seek asistance from the certified mechanic--especially since you say that you already take your other vehicle there...I also received that quote from Euro in G-town...I go to Mitch Carr's in the Kensington/Rockville area--much cheaper and they are recommended by many "experienced" membors on this forum...good luck
Thanks for the info CLK430girl. I'll be going to Certified Auto Repair in Rockville. Greg is the mech. Nice guy, very honest and my experience with his repairs have been excellent. His shop was rated high by Check Book Magazine.