CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2001 CLK Fuel Gage on Empty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK, ML320, 400E, 400SE
2001 CLK Fuel Gage on Empty

I sent my 2001 CLK's instrument cluster out for repair so I could have both the temp and time LCD's fixed. After installing the repaired instrument cluster, all gauges work properly except the fuel gauge. The instrument cluster is the same cluster removed from the car -not a replacement.

I've read several posts where the fuel sending units on the CLK suffer from a design problem and are subject to failure.

Is there a way to test the fuel sending units to verify this is problem? My car was only driven a short distance while the instrument cluster was removed, so I'm concerned there might be another issues that needs to be addressed other than the fuel sending units on the fuel tank.

Since the car sat 5 days without being driven I'm thinking it could be reasonable to think the defective fuel sending unit failed due to it's stationary state. Maybe the "crud" in the bottom of the tank has taken it's tole on the petro sending units and caused it to fail while sitting.

Any thoughts regarding this matter would greatly be appreciated.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:58 AM

01 430 CLK, 85 RR Silver Spur, 90 Bentley Turbo R, 93 FLSTN
Good question, hope you get a lot of answers on this subject. Mine does the same thing. When filling up the tank the fuel gage stays on the bottom until I drive about 20 miles or so then it works fine.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:18 AM

Hey guys,

I had a simular problem. I first tried to clean the contacts with electrical component cleaner and havent had a problem since. The new design has gold plated sensor connectors. I would make sure that the cluster was installed correctly connections are secured. It is possible to check if the problem is in the sending units or at the cluster. If you are an advanced DIYer, you can get an wire schematic and find the connector that contain wires to the fuel sending and measure the resistance and check it to spec reading, eg low resistance reading-empty tank-High reading-full tank. I have acess to some wiring charts, let me know if i can give you a hand.

Ed
Old 04-28-2006, 10:38 AM

CLK, ML320, 400E, 400SE
It's fixed!

1st I thought it was unusual the CLK’s computer LCD, in the center of the instrument cluster, was able to update and calculate the fuel left in tank and MPG if the fuel sending units were not operating. This lead me to believe the problem probable was isolated to the instrument cluster petro gauge indicator dial and not the fuel sending units in the gas tank. With this in mind, I removed the cluster and removed the cluster housing cover which provided me access to the fuel gauge needle. I gave the fuel gage needle a slight nudge (not moving it from 0 ) and retuned the cluster back to the car. I tuned the ignition on and instantly the fuel gauge moved from “0” to half a tank. I reassembled everything and drove to the gas station and filled up the tank and the petro gauge moved to FULL.

It is VERY nice to have both the LCD’s on for temperature gauge and Clock working again for only $250. I now have a fully functional instrument cluster!

Life is good again!
Old 04-28-2006, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 430
who was able to do the repairs for you... up until i read this post...i thought the only way was to replace the whole thing...please share.....altho mine was replace under warranty, it may happen again when the car is out of warranty...

thanks in advance

george
Old 04-28-2006, 03:00 PM

CLK, ML320, 400E, 400SE
BBA Remanufacturing Inc.
6 McCabe Street
South Darmouth, MA 02748
(866) 573-2740
www.bba-reman.com

I found the guys there are very helpful and knowledgeable. The price as $250 + return shipping. I paid $27.00 for 2 Day UPS to Tulsa, OK.

Russell McMahon
Old 04-29-2006, 11:04 AM

C43 AMG
Originally Posted by rsmcmahon
It is VERY nice to have both the LCD’s on for temperature gauge and Clock working again for only $250. I now have a fully functional instrument cluster!
WTF! I was convinced at my local dealership that those LCD's were not repairable and I had to order a new one for 1400.- $ I'm about to kill somebody right now
Old 04-29-2006, 01:04 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by shogun
WTF! I was convinced at my local dealership that those LCD's were not repairable and I had to order a new one for 1400.- $ I'm about to kill somebody right now
those gauges are def repairable (not by MB dealers though) and new clusters only cost 600 to 700USD

greetingz,
Old 04-30-2006, 01:48 AM

C43 AMG
Thanks for the reply, MBenzNL. Don't they have a similar worldwide pricing strategy at MB? Obviously not. Seems that it would be much cheaper for me to order parts from U.S than sponsor my local dealership at Estonia. A big dissapointment
Old 04-30-2006, 05:35 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by shogun
Thanks for the reply, MBenzNL. Don't they have a similar worldwide pricing strategy at MB? Obviously not. Seems that it would be much cheaper for me to order parts from U.S than sponsor my local dealership at Estonia. A big dissapointment
I don't know about US pricing...the price I mentioned is a european price

greetingz,
Old 04-30-2006, 07:19 PM
Almost a Member!

I may need to replace my instrument cluster because my pixels are starting to disappear. Does warranty cover the replacement of the instrument cluster? I really don't want to spend $700 on a new one.