CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

clk55 or viper gts???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 04:22 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 Hummer H2
clk55 or viper gts???

This week i was thinking i might want a more high performance sports car, and sacrifice the luxury for a while. Should i get a 2001 dodge viper gts w/ 2200 miles? or keep the clk 55 with 10,700? i know you guys might be bias, but i just feel i would be in a rarer car in the viper. (i know the 55 is rare as well, but there are 430's and 320's that match up in appearance) what should i do?:
Old 08-16-2002, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
yea, it is a shame that MB doesn't differentiate the AMG models from their regular model... well, not much at least.

Viper GTS.... hmmm. That is a nice car, lots of raw power. Bias opion aside, I think the CLK55 has a great balance of power and luxury. You sacrifice nothing with the CLK.

But of course, if you just want lots of power and demand that gawk-factor, then I'm sure your mind is already made up.
Old 08-16-2002, 04:28 PM

'97 MB E420 Sport/'88 MR2
It's really up to you. Of course, if you want good decent power, and great MB quality and fit and finish, go with the CLK55. However, if you really want the brute torque beast feel and the attention getter, a Viper will definitely do the job.
Just remember though, depending what this car is used for, the CLK55 is way more practical than the Viper...he he...
Why don't you just keep the CLK and get a Viper for the weekends?
Old 08-16-2002, 04:36 PM

What about a Corvette Z06?

Hey what about getting a Corvette Z06 which would probably be less than the used Viper and I think is a better car. I think a Corvette Z06 looks better and is a very good car. Not only is it more practical but it is also very fast. If you want something to make you **** your pants, well Corvette mods are very cheap and will do a lot for you! With a couple grand worth of mods on that car it will tear apart almost anything out there!!

AmGbOy
Old 08-16-2002, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Since he was looking into the Viper GTS, I think his issue is the raw power and the instant gawk factor.

The Z06 and CLK55 is the same in the sense that there isn't a lot of differentiation between them and the regular models.
Old 08-16-2002, 05:50 PM
Almost a Member!

'04 Hummer H2
thanks guys a lot... i did consider the z06, showplace chevy in dallas wanted to trade me straight up, hahaha, considering my car is worth a couple thousand more. (you have to know something is wrong with the picture when the dealers are being nice and want you to walk out with a new car and no money exchanged). I like the lingenfelter supercharger for only 8k and that would kill everybody, even the gts. but as it was stated there is little differentiation b/w the z06 and the regular c5. I live in dallas, and they are everywhere (corvettes), where as i see only a few vipers around town ever. i am wanting something unique, and with raw power. i wouldnt mind having the gts for the weekends, but the 55 would have to go unfortunately.
Old 08-16-2002, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

unless you wanted to go really exotic and get something ITALIAN ... good raw power, and lots of differentiation

Or maybe even a Porsche... although, they don't have tooo much differentiation there either.

Trending Topics

Old 08-16-2002, 10:46 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
I do understand how u feel u have the best CLK with great performance but it could look like the other lower models if u wanna call them since there all under the 55. And people that dont know cars probally just think its a regular mercedes. When people that dont know sh*t about cars see a viper they think of it as an exotic rare super car. So basicly u will definitly have fun with the viper. And definitly get complements where ever u go. So if u want attention get the Viper. But i am not sure if u ever have more than 2 people in the car, and if u do the viper wont be practical for u.

I love the CLK55 but if u feel like it looks like the other CLK's and still want good performance and rare looks just get the viper.

goodluck

Oh by the way it also depends on weather or not u want to have a stick or auto.
Old 08-16-2002, 10:58 PM
Almost a Member!

'04 Hummer H2
thanks for that response blackC230coupe, that helps a lot, i do want a stick and i dont do a ton of "city driving" where the traffic is too bad, i am a student so i miss the rush hour traffic that dallas is notorious for. also, its only me and my girlfriend ever in the car, so the back seats are uselss, i have had my 55 for 6 months and only 2 times has anybody been in the back (no not me and my girlfriend), so hopefully i can work out the deal, but if not, then i guess i cant be too upset, the 55 is an awesome car!!
Old 08-17-2002, 01:54 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by ERICCLK55
(no not me and my girlfriend), so hopefully i can work out the deal, but if not, then i guess i cant be too upset, the 55 is an awesome car!!
lol, post some pics if u get it.
Old 08-22-2002, 05:21 AM

S60R, ML320, W211/E350
I drove my friends 2001 GTS about a month ago, and it is brutal!!! I never drove an CLK55, but have been in the passenger seat, and as fast as it is, the GTS just feels WAYYYYYY faster.

The GTS throws you back HARD in EVERY gear. I don't even know to explain the torq on that thing, all I can say is, it is a beast. I went from 1 stop light to the next, which is about 1/4 mile, by the time I hit the second light, I was doing over 100mph and still in 3rd gear. ( 3:00am in the morning, and I know I should not have done it, but you just can't resist in a car like the Viper, Drive safe!!!)

Anyways, both cars are great, All I can say is I'm glad I don't have to decide on these two cars. Good Luck.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:43 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
The only one downside to the Viper (as I've heard) is that the A/C is doesn't cool much if you are stopped on traffic (lets say an accident), you need to be moving for it to cool OK, even when you are doing 80 mph constant is not that great.
Old 08-22-2002, 10:33 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by pocholin
The only one downside to the Viper (as I've heard) is that the A/C is doesn't cool much if you are stopped on traffic (lets say an accident), you need to be moving for it to cool OK, even when you are doing 80 mph constant is not that great.
Really??? That's interesting.
Old 08-22-2002, 10:40 AM

CLS 500
Also might you want to stock up a lot of ear plugs once you get the Viper. It sounds hella loud while driving in freeway! It might sounds cool and all for a while. I'm sure you will have to speak-up loader to your girlfriend while your in the car. hehehehe.

Jon
Old 08-22-2002, 11:56 AM
Almost a Member!

Eric: Being in Dallas myself, I'd say that you made a wise decision skipping the Z06 if you want any exclusivity. Regarding the viper, I see at least 1 or 2 a day in North Dallas, mostly the older model and usually on the Tollway or on Beltline. It's hard to drive anything [not from Italy] nowadays without seeing yourself, you know?

I have been a passenger in a viper on 2 occasions and, although the power is fantastic, I could not stand the harsh ride on a daily basis. It would make a nice wekend car, though. If this is something that would not bother you, it is a fantastic car.

Do you have a pic of your ride with the LD-1's. I'm sure it is sweet.

David
'01 CLK55
Old 08-22-2002, 12:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by JamE55

Really??? That's interesting.
That's what two Viper owners have mentioned to me. Funny they've never complained about interior engine/exhaust sound.
Old 08-22-2002, 06:02 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
other than the Viper i think that the BMW Z8 will be another great choice if you want a manual trans, uniqueness, and raw power.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:44 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by FrankW
other than the Viper i think that the BMW Z8 will be another great choice if you want a manual trans, uniqueness, and raw power.
its not a bad choice but i was not sure if he wanted to go over 100,000 if he does he should get a ferrari.
Old 08-23-2002, 03:00 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally posted by BlackC230Coupe

its not a bad choice but i was not sure if he wanted to go over 100,000 if he does he should get a ferrari.
there would be two choices if i buy a car that is over a 100k. one will be the Z8 if i can drive manual. the other is the SL55 AMG.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Going back to the original question, I'd go with the Viper, I like the mean looks, raw acceleration and huge rear tires of the Viper, I also like the fact of having 10 cyl (a MB 12 cyl would be nice too)
Old 08-23-2002, 10:06 AM
Almost a Member!

'04 Hummer H2
well i just got my viper on tuesday, its a red 01 gts, which is key b/c the abs is a must with 450hp. I LOVE this car!! the a/c is as cold or colder than my 55, my 55's a/c didnt blow very hard unless i had it on max, and that always drove me crazy. the ONLY downside the my car is the catalytic converters run along the sides of the car, next the each door, so it gets fairly hot. as far as the engine noise, i think it really depends on the year of viper, 00+ has a smaller cam, different pistons, and a few other things to make the idle a little less harsh, as well as the engine noise. speaking of that, i dont have to talk to my g/f any louder in the viper, actually can talk better. the road noise in my 55 was horrible, and it was also bad in my 430 when i had it. the vipers exhaust isnt annoying, and on the highway it really isnt that loud. i am going to keep it stock b/c i dont want that to change. i will post pics of it for you guys, i am mad at myself for not have pics of my 55 though, crap!! well thanks guys, look back to here for my pics, give me a few days. thanks again.
Old 08-23-2002, 10:23 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by ERICCLK55
well i just got my viper on tuesday, its a red 01 gts, which is key b/c the abs is a must with 450hp. I LOVE this car!! the a/c is as cold or colder than my 55, my 55's a/c didnt blow very hard unless i had it on max, and that always drove me crazy. the ONLY downside the my car is the catalytic converters run along the sides of the car, next the each door, so it gets fairly hot. as far as the engine noise, i think it really depends on the year of viper, 00+ has a smaller cam, different pistons, and a few other things to make the idle a little less harsh, as well as the engine noise. speaking of that, i dont have to talk to my g/f any louder in the viper, actually can talk better. the road noise in my 55 was horrible, and it was also bad in my 430 when i had it. the vipers exhaust isnt annoying, and on the highway it really isnt that loud. i am going to keep it stock b/c i dont want that to change. i will post pics of it for you guys, i am mad at myself for not have pics of my 55 though, crap!! well thanks guys, look back to here for my pics, give me a few days. thanks again.
Congratulations on the car, I'm sure you will enjoy it, we need pics please! ASAP
Old 08-23-2002, 02:37 PM

CLS 500
Alriiiiiiight! Congrats! Enjoy your new ride and fun. Let's see some pics. Any difference in gas mileage compared to the 55?

jon
Old 08-23-2002, 03:07 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
it sounds like u like your choice. it is an awsome car i am pretty sure u will love it.

by the way how many more people look at that car compared to the 55?
Old 08-23-2002, 06:26 PM
Almost a Member!

'04 Hummer H2
well so far, the gas milage is horrible compared to the 55, but only b/c i have been driving it totally different than i did my 55. As far as people looking, not a lot of people understand how different a 55 is vs. the 430, 320, or even a lot of other mb's for that matter, so they think since they have seen one, they have seen them all. you guys understand it otherwise. i got looks from the car dont get me wrong, but in the viper, everybody but middle aged women look, and dont take their eyes off it. i hope to get the pictures tomorrow, but we will see, i just started school again so my time is getting limited. thanks again guys for the support.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: clk55 or viper gts???