CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Installation of Rear Window Spoiler Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS550
Installation of Rear Window Spoiler Question

Good Afternoon,

Wanted to see if anyone has any experience installing one of the Lorinser rear window spoilers. It's the one that goes on the top of the window and as I have been told, can be glued on using a 3M type silicone adhesive. I have to preface this with the fact that it's a fiberglass replica but the seller assured me it was made from a mold of the original (find that hard to believe). I talked to a buddy who has the real thing and he said his didn't fit perfectly either, but I'd be surprised if it required as much work as mine. The instructions say that I should be able to glue it on and use masking tape to hold the sides down where it curves at the edges until the glue dries. Impossible. There is just too much of a bend for any kind of tape to hold it down. The part does flex if I apply manual pressure to it and it fits the window, but short of standing there for hours pushing down on it, I don't have any ideas on how to keep it snug until the glue dries. Any clever tips from some of the installation experts in here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Dominik
Old 07-31-2006, 10:30 PM
Almost a Member!

I am interesting in this thread too

I just brought one too and try to dry fit it and ran into the same problem
I want to fit this well on the window before I paint it since paint does not flex well and will crack due to stress
Old 08-01-2006, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01' CLK55
any time you purchase replica fiberglass stuff, the fitment will have issues. It just doesn't bend properly as urethane does.

You'll probably have to pay a body shop to shape and bondo the piece to fit properly at the bends on either end, or you might be able to do it yourself if you are good with bondo.

good luck =)
Old 08-01-2006, 04:39 PM

2002 CLK55 AMG, 2005 C240 4maitc
Originally Posted by clkal
any time you purchase replica fiberglass stuff, the fitment will have issues. It just doesn't bend properly as urethane does.

You'll probably have to pay a body shop to shape and bondo the piece to fit properly at the bends on either end, or you might be able to do it yourself if you are good with bondo.

good luck =)

Yeah thats probly ur situation. As far as the authentic roof spoiler, i have one on my w208 and i remembered when it came in the mail i was sooo excited to get it on that i placed it up there for fun to see what i would look like and it fit perfectly, it even staied put when i took my hand away from it. Remember, it's only authentic if it has the Lorinser logo branded into it on the underbelly of the lip. I'll post an example pic of what i'm talking about later.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:48 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Mine is an original and fit perfectly to the contour of the glass. I just used some glass adhesive and held it on lightly with masking tape. A body man should be able to shape yours to fit.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:57 PM

2012 CLS550
Ok, so here it is. Please do not note the elegance of the solution, but rather the form; I know it's not the prettiest :-) I used the cargo strap in photo one, hooked it on underneath the car (obviously not to the side skirts, but some solid metal), placed the towels underneath for protection, then slowly started tightening the strap. Seems to be flush all around. We'll see tomorrow morning when I take it off if the glue can hold it down, so to speak...

Cheers,

Dominik
Attached Thumbnails Installation of Rear Window Spoiler Question-imgp1680-small-.jpg   Installation of Rear Window Spoiler Question-imgp1678-small-.jpg   Installation of Rear Window Spoiler Question-imgp1679-small-.jpg  
Old 08-02-2006, 02:59 PM

2002 CLK 430/2002 325i
I used betalink glue that comes with a primer instead of using the 3m adhesive tape. The glue came with the spoiler.

Trending Topics

Old 08-04-2006, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
heres up close pics of an original

https://mbworld.org/forums/classifieds/119239-sale-brand-new-w208-clk-lorinser-roof-spoiler.html
Old 08-06-2006, 05:43 AM

2012 CLS550
Originally Posted by BklynBenz
heres up close pics of an original

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119239
Obviously mine doesn't have the Lorinser stamp on it, but as far as the shape goes, it looks similar. That one doesn't look like it has enough "bend" at the edges either to form fit the window at the top. Eh, who knows...

Cheers,

Dominik