CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

To buy or not to buy an ext warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2002, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used to be a CLK430
To buy or not to buy an ext warranty

I need some advice, please help!!

My car has 48,000 miles on it and is getting ready to run out of warranty. The question is: do I need to buy an extended warranty? I have done a ton of research and found one that suits my needs at a reasonable price. It would take me to a total of 7 years or 100,000 miles. The service manager at a local dealership that he "Wouldn't own one without an extended warranty"

What do you think?

Thanks!!
Old 09-13-2002, 04:56 PM

C350
Don't even think of not getting it

Definitely go with the ext. warranty. Anything that goes wrong it will cost you much more to fix. I have stories and stories to tell you but the bottom line is: get one.
Old 09-13-2002, 05:12 PM

2001 CLK320
Another reason to consider ext. warranty

the automatic climate control on our cars

this uses vacuum/thermostatic controls to regulate the air dampers and the hot water valves

this stuff is constantly adjusting itself - if these parts give out, the labor cost and parts cost is high.

Another thing to consider - with all the electronic stuff controlling devices (smart key, sunroof controls, express / open close windows and the vacuum central locking system) very few of these things are directly contolled by a switch and wiring and there's an electronic module plugged into these things.
Old 09-14-2002, 02:55 AM

Alpina B7; Techart Grand GT; G63
are u purchasing the warranty directly from the MB dealer? can you do that being so close to the 50k mark already? how much they asking? thanks
Old 09-14-2002, 03:01 AM

S60R, ML320, W211/E350
GET IT!!!!!!

I just got my car back for a windows regulator and a seat bracket.... $1500!!!!!

It is worth it, you will get your money back and then some.
Old 09-14-2002, 07:33 AM

2000 CLK 430
Re: To buy or not to buy an ext warranty

Originally posted by nickv
I need some advice, please help!!

My car has 48,000 miles on it and is getting ready to run out of warranty. The question is: do I need to buy an extended warranty? I have done a ton of research and found one that suits my needs at a reasonable price. It would take me to a total of 7 years or 100,000 miles. The service manager at a local dealership that he "Wouldn't own one without an extended warranty"

What do you think?

Thanks!!

Hey what's the name of the Warranty Company and How much?

Thanks
Old 09-14-2002, 07:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GL450
Extended Warranties are a piece of mind purchase.
I look at it like this, how long are you going to keep your car?
How much trouble have you had with it so far?
How much is the warranty worth to you? Does it give you that warm fuzzy feeling knowing you’re covered, or does all the paperwork make you cringe?

There are many types of extended warranties, those offered by the manufacture, those offered buy insurance companies and those offered by a dealership group. Each has its good and bad points. By far the best-extended warranty is the one offered by the manufacture. Here’s why, the manufacture allows you to go to any dealership in the country you purchased your vehicle from. You can take your car in, they check your warranty to see what your deductible is if you have one. The car is fixed as long as all the parts are warranty-covered parts. You pay your deductible and your done. The other warranties require approval by the insurer, and then you pay for the work and get reimbursed when you complete the proper paper work. Some of the larger dealership have group together and created there own extended warranties, and they work pretty good as long as you only use their dealership to get things fixed. One other thing to let you know, extended warranties are a negotiable item. Yes that’s right your can deal on the price. I suggest you contact a few dealers and get quotes and then see if your dealer can match or beat the price. Remember to make sure your talking about the exact same warranty not a similar warranty.
Best of luck to ya.
Tim
Old 09-15-2002, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Used to be a CLK430
You guys are awesome, thanks so much for the help, I'm buying it, positively! To answer a few questions, here is a thread that was circulating about a month ago ext warr . The warranty I'm buying is from a company here in Houston called AutoExam they are backed by an insurance company called Heritage. I took a copy of the service contract to a local dealer and asked their opinion. I suggest you do this, get the approval of the service manager at your dealership before you buy one. If you notice, the price is very reasonable ~ $2212 for $0 deductible 7yr/100K. Others I looked at included GE Capital, Nissan, Toyota, and NO, you can't buy an extended factory warranty from the dealer, all you can buy is whatever 3rd party warranty they sell. Good luck and thanks again!!
Nick

Last edited by nickv; 09-15-2002 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-15-2002, 09:11 PM

I'm definitely doing the extended warranty on my 430. The dealer is going to give me a slight discount on it since I
just bought the car. I'm going with the
3 year extension, would go longer if it
was available.