CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Rear Defroster Doesn't Work, poor AM Radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK430, Mits 3000GT VR4 Spyder
Rear Defroster Doesn't Work, poor AM Radio

So, here is the deal, I purchased this car used and now that the weather is frosty I am finding that my rear defroster doesn't work.
The light illuminates on the console, but no defrosting.
Another problem is that this car gets horrible AM reception, basically unusable.
I love AM radio for my local sports and talk stations.
I had the windows tinted, and paid a premium for a tint that "doesn't affect radio reception" from a very reputable shop. The problem is that I had the windows tinted right after I got the car, so I don't know how bad the AM was before the tinting.
So,
#1) Suggestions on what to check for my defroster?
#2) Suggestions on fixing my AM reception?
#3) As both are back window, are they likely related?
Thanks for the help and suggestions...
Old 01-10-2007, 07:09 PM

Wow you guys are good, you really know your stuff
Old 01-10-2007, 07:48 PM

AM Radio Reception and Tint
It's a given today that metalized film may interfere with AM radio reception in the event the antenna is located on the back glass. The phenomena of quasi-connecting the antenna to the defroster grid (which grounds the signal to the chassis) after installation of metalized film to the back glass is believed to be part of the problem. This tip is NOT for other electronics such as GPS, XM radio, Wi-Fi, Cell Phone, etc., which are affected by the RF shielding capacity of a metal film.

Locate the uppermost defroster line (this would be the last of many that travels completely across the back glass with no breaks in its line). Carefully cut a seam into the film, either before or after installation, running above, parallel and adjacent to the uppermost defroster line (not the antenna line). This breaks the quasi-connection and grounding effect between the film, antenna and defroster grid.

If this does not work, you may have to resort to extreme measures: 1) Cut another seam BELOW parallel and adjacent to the uppermost defroster line and remove the sliver of film from that particular defrost line. 2) R & R with a non-conductive film construction such as straight-dyed, pigmented polyester, IR absorbing film or a combination of these.

I have even had a consumer ask me to remove a sliver of film over the entire antenna line, which for that vehicle was an upside down T and easily done. Other more elaborate antenna grids would be most difficult and time consuming.

Of course, the consumer should be consulted and advised as to the trade off between radio reception, film performance, and 'possibly' looks (In this day and age of one-piece installs).
Old 01-10-2007, 07:59 PM

'00 CLK430 & '08 Lexus RX 350
My guess would be one of the following:

Bad connection from Amplifier (I had this prob recently) finaggled it and it works better. also solved much of the "stereo to mono" sound effect on FM freq. that I was experiencing.

However.....as you pointed out, both radio and defroster are rear window related......suspicious both are out after having your windows tinted.

My money is on the connection for both functions at the window ... not interference from your windowfilm.

I'd let dealership fix it, write up an explaination and take that and the invoice to the tinter and ask them to cover the charges if their work seems to be the source of the problem.

Last edited by MMM430; 01-10-2007 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:03 PM

thanks for the suggestion guys, I paid quite a bit more money for this tint, as it was supposedly designed to not affect the radio... so I don't think cutting the tint is the answer, but thanks for the suggestion, I might have to try it.
I wonder if a connection is loose, that would mean simply pulling the radio and checking the back connections?
Would the light on the console still illuminate if it was as simple as a fuse for the defroster?
Old 01-11-2007, 08:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02clk55///2010GLK350
same when I had my '99.
I was told that in Europe, the tuning for AM is different than the US. Even though the car was sold in the US, it still has the Euro tuners (something like it doesn't hit on the exact frequency that it says on the readout). So, I lived with it. I tried antenna booster etc...nothing helped.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:11 PM

2000 Silver CLK430
Originally Posted by tomtomtomtom
same when I had my '99.
I was told that in Europe, the tuning for AM is different than the US. Even though the car was sold in the US, it still has the Euro tuners (something like it doesn't hit on the exact frequency that it says on the readout). So, I lived with it. I tried antenna booster etc...nothing helped.
US head units are tuned to US frequencies, that's not the issue...appears to be some fundamental design issue with the CLKs. My AM reception is crap 90% of the time and I've tried out several factory head units. Anyone out there have CONSISTENT decent AM reception? Most of the time I listen to my iPod but when I'm trying to hear the game on AM, it sucks!
Old 01-12-2007, 12:24 PM

02clk55///2010GLK350
I believe they are now tuned for US but not back in 1999...at least that was what I was told.