CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Anyone Ever Do A Custom Spring Pad or Shims 4 Their CLK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 CLK 3.2
Anyone Ever Do A Custom Spring Pad or Shims 4 Their CLK

Here's the situation...and all experiences and opinions are appreciated:

I have a W208 CLK with Brabus Springs and Koni Yello's. I got sick of my wheel gap and cut some of my Brabus springs off to make the car look just right...it all worked fine with no bouncing or anything at all but now I would like to raise the car a bit but I am already at the highest spring pads in the front and back. I don't want to buy a new set of springs because this will raise my car too much. My car is very low and I like the look...but I just want to raise a bit so that my fiance doesn't smash my fron lip spoiler when she drives it.

So my questions are:

Has anyone ever used 1" thick polyurethane as shims plus the pad?
Should I use polyurethane or a good stong rubber?
Is their a different material that would work better that I am not aware of?
Should I use something that does not compress and is solid?

I'm palnning to have this mystery material cut into perfect circle cut-outs to fit the coresponding spring seat pockets.

All your opinions or experiences are appreciated. I know most people are always looking to lower their cars more and not raise them so I don't really know anyone who has tried this. I know it should work.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:24 AM

2000 CLK 320
dam thats a tough one. ya your car looks good cause its slammed. but you gota be extra careful driving it cause its so low. i too cut 1 coil off my eibach springs to get the look i wanted. good luck, hopefully you wont have to buy a new set of springs
Old 02-12-2007, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
buy another set or spring pads, and trim off the 'pocket' part so it's just the 'donut', and put them on top of the existing spring pads. then drill small holes through both pads, and put in an aluminium screw to hold them together, making sure the head of the screw goes slightly into the top pad so there's no metal to metal contact with the spring seat on the car, and make sure the screw is not too long to go through both pads completely. it's not the safest method, but basically what you want to do would not be too safe, incase the spring somehow bounces out of the seat... pretty much what i'm saying is use spring pads as your 'mystery material', since that's what they're designed for, and trim the rubber as you need to to get it to work.
personally, i never let anyone drive my car, and if the girl ever drives, it's not without me in the car too... buy an old civic for her to drive around if she doesn't have a car!
good luck!
Old 02-12-2007, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 3.2
Originally Posted by ZedStyle
buy another set or spring pads, and trim off the 'pocket' part so it's just the 'donut', and put them on top of the existing spring pads. then drill small holes through both pads, and put in an aluminium screw to hold them together, making sure the head of the screw goes slightly into the top pad so there's no metal to metal contact with the spring seat on the car, and make sure the screw is not too long to go through both pads completely. it's not the safest method, but basically what you want to do would not be too safe, incase the spring somehow bounces out of the seat... pretty much what i'm saying is use spring pads as your 'mystery material', since that's what they're designed for, and trim the rubber as you need to to get it to work.
personally, i never let anyone drive my car, and if the girl ever drives, it's not without me in the car too... buy an old civic for her to drive around if she doesn't have a car!
good luck!
Thanks for the info. Now why didn't I think of that...the thought had crossed my mind but I didn't think it would work. I want to go up exactly 1" all around...so I should make sure that the pads I get all are the same width and customize as needed to make it all fit nice and snug.

And as for the girl drivin my car...she doesn't drive it unless I'm in the car also. I just can't drive if I've been drinking because of past DUI's...if I get cought I'm done. She has her own car but she will drive if I've been drinking.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone Ever Do A Custom Spring Pad or Shims 4 Their CLK-dscn0002-2.jpg  
Old 02-12-2007, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Youngtimer
good lord that thing is beautiful.
okay, scratch the spring pads. next time you're going out and think you might drink there, get your girl to drive you there in her car and leave yours as it is!
Old 02-12-2007, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Youngtimer
check this, might help

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ht=spring+pads
Old 02-12-2007, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 3.2
good lord that thing is beautiful.
okay, scratch the spring pads. next time you're going out and think you might drink there, get your girl to drive you there in her car and leave yours as it is!

Thanks for the compliment.

There are 2 reasons why I am doing this:

1 - is because of the girl not knowing how to drive my black beauty.

2 - is because I will be selling my wheels for personal reasons and get some for free that are 20"...which leads to another question...and by the way the wheels will not be cheesy 20" style wheels, they are black with chrome lip 3pc Iforged wheels that my cousin will be giving me because he is selling his CLK.

So this all new question is....I will be running:
20x8.5 with 225/30/20 tires
20x10 with 255/30/20 tires

Do you think I will have an issue if I only go up 1"? My cousin is running bigger tires but he also has a stock hight so I can't really do a comparison.

I should only need 1" to make it work...especially with those rubber bands that I will have wraped around those wheels...right? Because right now I'm running 19's staggered in the same widths
Old 02-12-2007, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 3.2
Thank you so much for the link.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 430
you could also try a spring pad at the bottom of the spring !!!!!! its what some people do when springs start to sag !!!!!
Old 02-15-2007, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 3.2
Originally Posted by maverick5.0
you could also try a spring pad at the bottom of the spring !!!!!! its what some people do when springs start to sag !!!!!
I'm just going to raise it up with H&R"s that I found and #1 pads all around