CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Is a CLUB too neanderthaloid on a MB?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2001 | 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Is a CLUB too neanderthaloid on a MB?

Obviously, in a technical sense, the security systems on a new CLK obviate the CLUB.

However, I do feel that the presence of a CLUB on the steering wheel does act as a deterrent, and minimizes break-ins.

Do you use a CLUB-like device on your steering wheel?

Would appreciate responses.
Old 12-26-2001 | 11:14 PM
Almost a Member!

1999 CLK 320 Cab
Yes, it is very neanderthalish. The club is useless and most thieves know this.

Here is how you take off a locked club without keys:

Dont make a mess:

Take a can of freon (air conditioning recharger). Spray it on the club for a minute or so so it is frozen beyond frozen. Hit it with a hammer. Watch it shatter. Remove Club

Make A mess:

Put seat way back. With the heal of your shoe, kick the living **** ou tof the club. Try not to hit the horn because it may draw attention. Watch it bend (either the steering wheel or the club) Remove club.

If you want a deterernt, leave a Rottweiler in your CLK.
Old 12-26-2001 | 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

go with what you think will work? are a lot of cars stolen in the area that you live in or frequent. if the club works, then you should use it.. it's better than finding your car gone... like that scene from the movie woo....

i personally don't use a club because the only areas that I worry about is leaving my car in is DC... but then again there are much hotter cars than mine for someone to break into...
Old 12-26-2001 | 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
I have a Club on my car. Look, if a thief wants your car bad enough, he's going to have it, no matter how many different tricky electronics you have. A Club is a theft-deterrent, not a theft-prevention. If the thief sees you have a Club, and the car next to you doesn't, hes just found an easier target. A Club may be easy to break, but it takes more effort than an unprotected car.
Old 12-27-2001 | 03:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

Do any of you actually use the club properly? I think I've only seen it used right once. Most people just snap it on and think that it's safe. Little do they know, anyone could easily still turn left or right.

Karl, I don't know the name of it, but there is a new club-like product for your brake. What it does is makes it so you can't press on the brake. Thus you can't change out of Park, and even if you did... You're screwed.
Old 12-27-2001 | 07:39 AM

CLK430

Last edited by kingman18; 04-27-2020 at 02:25 AM.
Old 12-28-2001 | 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Tnx for your suggestions/responses.

Frankly, I have not been using the CLUB because the inherent security systems built into the CLK.

But, because 40,000 plus cars are stolen in Miami-Dade County annually, I think I'll start using it. Additionally, I see lots of crumbled window glass on public parking lots; a constant reminder that there are a lot of bad boys out there!

I have no idea, where a MB or a CLK 55 fits/ranks into these numbers, - perhaps low.

However, I believe that the VISUAL deterrent of the CLUB is worth the effort of displaying/applying it to the steering wheel. It would minimize a window from being smashed, getting it replaced, tinted, car vandalized, repair and insurance hassles.

While alternate/additional security systems - i.e. brake lock (as suggested by Mach420) or a kill switch on the battery are excellent security add-ons, they are NOT visual.

So, the neanderthal approach, while a pain... and not a 100% deterrent, will be re-introduced as part of my habit before I exit my CLK tomorrow.

Who knows, the CLUB might also come in handy during a car-jacking, or getting out by breaking the window from the inside, in case of an accident.

It's really not a big deal, 2002 is going to be a GREAT Year, - just trying to minimize risk?!

Thank you all for helping me in reaching this decision.
Old 12-28-2001 | 10:03 AM

CLK430

Last edited by kingman18; 04-27-2020 at 02:35 AM.
Old 12-28-2001 | 01:48 PM

'02 SLK32 AMG
Don't bother witha club on a newer Benz. A club on a CLK is going to deter only a stupid thief. Unless they have your keys, thieves know they're not going to steal a CLK without a tow truck, and the club won't prevent that. If a thief breaks into your CLK, he's not trying to steal the car, but what's inside. In which case, the club does nothing.

BTW, the "easiest" way to defeat the club is not with freon or by kicking it with your feet. You just use a small pair of bolt cutters to cut the steering wheel. It can be removed in 3 seconds this way, with no noise.