CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Instructional on repairing/ replacing brake light switch on 2000 430CLK Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 02:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2000 CLK430 Cabriolet
Instructional on repairing/ replacing brake light switch on 2000 430CLK Cabriolet

I did some instructionals on our brake light switch problems.
I hope this helps out a brother CLK (W208) owner in the future.

Here's a link to the dash error lights:
http://www.panchogun.com/FVWebPhotos...odes-5x100.jpg

Here's a link to the diagnosis:
http://www.panchogun.com/FVWebPhotos...D2-ME-3-23.jpg

Here's a link to the repair:
http://www.panchogun.com/FVWebPhotos...ght-Switch.jpg

Last edited by Pancho; 03-26-2007 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:02 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 430 Cabrio
Thumbs up

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OUTSTANDING post bro

Thank you !!!
Old 03-26-2007, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 CLK430
I might have to erase my codes for good then cause I replaced the switch and I am still getting all the codes continuously every time I start my car. I bought the swutch and replaced it 2 months ago.

I was almost going to take it to the dealership but I want to try and erase the codes first. How can I do this without taking it into a dealership?

Greg
Old 03-26-2007, 03:29 AM

2000 CLK430 Cabriolet
I have a MB Diagnostic interface and Carsoft 7.4 software that I use with my notebook computer. I plug this into the 38 pin interface under my hood, or into the 16 pin OBD2 interface under my steering wheel. This interface allows me to extract data, and to clear the error codes in my car. the MB Interface gives me more access than a code reader ($50), but less than a Multiplexer ($500+)

The interface and cables and software cost $174 with shipping on ebay.
Link:
http://www.panchogun.com/FVWebPhotos...reakOutBox.jpg

There are also inexpensive code readers, around $50 that clear error codes, but don't extract data. Here's a link to one from the same vendor that sold me the MB Interface. I'm not vouching for this product, but the vendor seems to have a good reputation, and a good return policy:
Link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...QQcmdZViewItem

My 2000 430CLK has both interfaces. I don't know what the standard is in Germany. Here is the location of the two interfaces in my car.
Link:
http://www.panchogun.com/FVWebPhotos...2-&-38-Pin.jpg

I think that I have also read some postings on this forum re. an ignition start/stop procedure that reset these brake codes. Search the forum.

Last edited by Pancho; 03-26-2007 at 03:52 AM.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Originally Posted by Pancho
I have a MB Diagnostic interface and Carsoft 7.4 software that I use with my notebook computer. I plug this into the 38 pin interface under my hood, or into the 16 pin OBD2 interface under my steering wheel. This interface allows me to extract data, and to clear the error codes in my car. the MB Interface gives me more access than a code reader ($50), but less than a Multiplexer ($500+)

The interface and cables and software cost $174 with shipping on ebay.
Link:
http://www.panchogun.com/FVWebPhotos...reakOutBox.jpg

There are also inexpensive code readers, around $50 that clear error codes, but don't extract data. Here's a link to one from the same vendor that sold me the MB Interface. I'm not vouching for this product, but the vendor seems to have a good reputation, and a good return policy:
Link:

My 2000 430CLK has both interfaces. I don't know what the standard is in Germany. Here is the location of the two interfaces in my car.
Link:
http://www.panchogun.com/FVWebPhotos...2-&-38-Pin.jpg

I think that I have also read some postings on this forum re. an ignition start/stop procedure that reset these brake codes. Search the forum.

Well my CLK430 is a US Spec car bought in Florida. I need to buy that 175 dollar unit. Is this sold by you?

Greg
Old 03-26-2007, 12:03 PM

2000 CLK430 Cabriolet
What's this re. Heidelberg as your location...are you serving...Army ?

I'm not a seller. I just use it, but I'm thinking about returning my Mercedes Interface (MBIF) and getting a MB Multiplexer (Multi).

Mind you, I've only had my diagnostic system for about 1 week, but there is plenty of info, often confusing, on the net. OK, this is not gospel, so you'll want to check out more info, but, this is how I understand it.

The Mercedes Interface:

The MBIF ($150) will only access one system, the "ME" system which is the "Petrol Engine Control Unit", when plugged directly into your car. It can not switch automatically. Each system has its own "K-line", and the MBIF will only read the ME K-line, and must be connected manually to the other K-lines.

To connect manually to the other 16 or so system's K-lines, you will need a Break Out Box (BOB) ($150 ebay), which easily lets you connect individually to each system's K-line, one at a time. The BOB plugs into your car, and the MBIF plugs into your computer's serial port. Then you plug the MBIF into the BOB, one system at a time. It's easy and convenient, and at about $300 for both the MBIF and the BOB, they typically are less expensive than the Multi.
PS. I don't understand why the BOB would be $150, since it has no electronic components, and you can get all the parts for around $50, and build one yourself with a soldering iron.

The MB Interface (MBIF) I have is from ebay($150). Aside from it being Carsoft 7.4 compatible, you also need to be certain it includes the Carsoft 7.4 software, or else it won't function. Most of these devices do NOT come with the software. Getting the software can be a challenge.

You'll have to provide your own computer that has a serial port (DB9), or figure out some way to connect the MBIF to a more modern USB port. I think there are adapter cables for this. Most of the newer laptop computers do not have serial ports, only USB ports. Fortunately, these older laptops with a serial port can be found on ebay for $200. I have a Compaq Armada M300 notebook. I bought mine new many years ago. Works like a charm. You need to make sure the M300 has the MEU base with floppy & CD; and that the ram and hard drive capacities jibe w/the Carsoft 7.4 software.

The Mercedes Multiplexer (Multi):

The Multi is an automatic switching unit that replaces the regular MBIF. You don't need a breaker box. It switches from system to system automatically. Problem is with the price. These are around $500+, but, sometimes you can find then at a lower price.

Same applies re. software and computer.

PS. I think the OEM equipment at around $5,000. I still don't understand why there is such a difference in the pricing between OEM and the aftermarket.

PPS. This is just the info I have gleaned from the net. There's more info out there.

Last edited by Pancho; 03-26-2007 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
What's this re. Heidelberg as your location...are you serving...Army ?

I'm not a seller. I just use it, but I'm thinking about returning my Mercedes Interface (MBIF) and getting a MB Multiplexer (Multi).

Mind you, I've only had my diagnostic system for about 1 week, but there is plenty of info, often confusing, on the net. OK, this is not gospel, so you'll want to check out more info, but, this is how I understand it.

The Mercedes Interface:

The MBIF ($150) will only access one system, the "ME" system which is the "Petrol Engine Control Unit", when plugged directly into your car. It can not switch automatically. Each system has its own "K-line", and the MBIF will only read the ME K-line, and must be connected manually to the other K-lines.

To connect manually to the other 16 or so system's K-lines, you will need a Break Out Box (BOB) ($150 ebay), which easily lets you connect individually to each system's K-line, one at a time. The BOB plugs into your car, and the MBIF plugs into your computer's serial port. Then you plug the MBIF into the BOB, one system at a time. It's easy and convenient, and at about $300 for both the MBIF and the BOB, they typically are less expensive than the Multi.
PS. I don't understand why the BOB would be $150, since it has no electronic components, and you can get all the parts for around $50, and build one yourself with a soldering iron.

The MB Interface (MBIF) I have is from ebay($150). Aside from it being Carsoft 7.4 compatible, you also need to be certain it includes the Carsoft 7.4 software, or else it won't function. Most of these devices do NOT come with the software. Getting the software can be a challenge.

You'll have to provide your own computer that has a serial port (DB9), or figure out some way to connect the MBIF to a more modern USB port. I think there are adapter cables for this. Most of the newer laptop computers do not have serial ports, only USB ports. Fortunately, these older laptops with a serial port can be found on ebay for $200. I have a Compaq Armada M300 notebook. I bought mine new many years ago. Works like a charm. You need to make sure the M300 has the MEU base with floppy & CD; and that the ram and hard drive capacities jibe w/the Carsoft 7.4 software.

The Mercedes Multiplexer (Multi):

The Multi is an automatic switching unit that replaces the regular MBIF. You don't need a breaker box. It switches from system to system automatically. Problem is with the price. These are around $500+, but, sometimes you can find then at a lower price.

Same applies re. software and computer.

PS. I think the OEM equipment at around $5,000. I still don't understand why there is such a difference in the pricing between OEM and the aftermarket.

PPS. This is just the info I have gleaned from the net. There's more info out there.

All I can say is DAMN!!! You are gonna be a great asset to this site man!!

And yeah I am serving in the Army 15 years in June!!

I think 500 is more than I am willing to spend just now but 300 sound do-able. I need to get my car reset cause of the reocurring ABS lights. I replaced the switch and it just keeps coming on. I was almost going to take it into the dealership to get it reset but I think the money would be better spent going into my own personal unit and being able to reset and read whenever I want. I am going to do some searching aound now that I got some info on it!! Thanks again!!

Greg
Old 03-26-2007, 01:00 PM

2000 CLK430 Cabriolet
I'm a viet-nam era Army vet (old guy).
My brother is retired Navy.
My father was a WW2 Navy Vet.
God bless you trooper, stay safe, and protect the good ole U.S. of A.
Put holes in our enemies, and come back to us.

Remember, you can get a simple code reader for about $50 to erase many of those codes.

Link:
Old 03-26-2007, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Thanks for the link!!! I am buying it right now. This way cheaper buying my own, it was going to costs 80 euros just to clear my codes at the stealership and now I can do it whenever I want and read my codes for half the price.

As far a TROOPER goes that honor goes to you!!! Those were harder times than anything I have gone through so hats off to you Brother!!

Greg
Old 09-19-2011, 07:16 AM

E350 coupe
I'm a viet-nam era Army vet (old guy).
My brother is retired Navy.
My father was a WW2 Navy Vet.
God bless you trooper, stay safe, and protect the good ole U.S. of A.
Put holes in our enemies, and come back to us.

Remember, you can get a simple code reader for about $50 to erase many of those codes.

Link:
Can you tell me if this code reader is working well? do you have a fresh link to this item please?
Old 09-19-2011, 09:01 AM

2000 CLK430 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by kiwigirl
Can you tell me if this code reader is working well? do you have a fresh link to this item please?
Working well? Still use it.
Link? Hey, it's been more than 5 yrs. since my last comment on this topic. Search ebay.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:59 PM

Mercedes clk430
Brake light switch 2001 CLK430 Cab

Success!! Thanks for the easy to follow Directions and Photos.
Paid $40 with tax for the switch, after I/2 hr. installation, I'm back
in A OK shape.
Thanks Pancho
Old 06-13-2013, 02:05 PM

2000 CLK430 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by nee.martin
Success!! Thanks for the easy to follow Directions and Photos.
Paid $40 with tax for the switch, after I/2 hr. installation, I'm back
in A OK shape.
Thanks Pancho
Well done.
You are most welcome.
I am glad that this instructional was helpful.