CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Newbie with CLK 430 options questions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newbie with CLK 430 options questions.

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a 03 CLK 430 Cab, I'm a newbie to the CLK and need some info on avaliable opitons. You guys seem pretty knowledgeable so I think I found the right place.

Anyhow do all 03s come with Xenons? how do I tell by pics if they come with Xenons, headlight washers?

COMMAND is this nav? do you guys recommend NAV?

What other options were avaliable... K4 not sure what that is...

I know Pewter was a new 03 color.

Thanks, btw I haven't seen Pewter in person, does it look pretty good? I also like the burgundy, the Bordeux or Firemist.

Eddy
Old 03-26-2007, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01' CLK55
Originally Posted by Mead
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a 03 CLK 430 Cab, I'm a newbie to the CLK and need some info on avaliable opitons. You guys seem pretty knowledgeable so I think I found the right place.

Anyhow do all 03s come with Xenons? how do I tell by pics if they come with Xenons, headlight washers?

COMMAND is this nav? do you guys recommend NAV?

What other options were avaliable... K4 not sure what that is...

I know Pewter was a new 03 color.

Thanks, btw I haven't seen Pewter in person, does it look pretty good? I also like the burgundy, the Bordeux or Firemist.

Eddy
xenons have ALWAYS been an option...NOT standard. Command is nav...I highly recommend it.

I personally love white CLK's =)
Old 03-27-2007, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
This link has all the 2002 model year options and pricing for the CLK. Since the 2003 cab is a W208, it should be similar. As CLKAL said, Xenons were optional on everything except the CLK55, and they were only available with washers. In pictures, you may be able to see the washers as little squares on the tops of the bumper between the headlamps. Since washers were only available with Xenons, you'll know that way. COMAND is the nav system. One bonus the COMAND has is the MP3 input cable in the glovebox. K4 is heated seats, rain sensing wipers, & Xenons w/washers. The other option packages are K2, K2a, K3, disigno Espresso, and disigno Cashmere. I didn't list the color options at the site because, well, I'm lazy.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:45 AM

2016 C450 AMG
Also, since CLK's with Xenon's come with headlight washers, look for the headlamp wash button on the console (next to the hazard light switch). I have seen some cars that have the headlamp wash switch, but do NOT have the headlamp washers on the front bumper. This would indicate that the front bumper has been replaced for some reason. More importantly, it indicates that the previous owner replaced it with the wrong bumper, which means they probably didnt care too much about the rest of the car....
Old 03-27-2007, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01' CLK55
Originally Posted by chem1441
Also, since CLK's with Xenon's come with headlight washers, look for the headlamp wash button on the console (next to the hazard light switch). I have seen some cars that have the headlamp wash switch, but do NOT have the headlamp washers on the front bumper. This would indicate that the front bumper has been replaced for some reason. More importantly, it indicates that the previous owner replaced it with the wrong bumper, which means they probably didnt care too much about the rest of the car....
that is an excellent point =)
Old 03-27-2007, 01:15 PM

Hey thanks guys , you all are a great resource (the replacement bumper sans washer is a great tip). Another question.

This will be my first Mercedes so how's the maintance costs? Do you guys do your own oil changes? etc... how much is a trip to the dealer for other stuff?

My CLK will hopefull have between 30 - 40K mileage, is there anything to look out for? this will not be a CPO

Finally, on the COMMAND / NAV where do you get the latest maps, thru the dealership?

Thanks a lot.

Eddy
Old 03-27-2007, 02:43 PM

2001 CLK 430, 2004 BMW 330 CI, 2007 Yamaha R6
I'm a recent 430 owner and have only had a service B and it cost around 700 bucks at the dealer....MB deal service sure is pricey.... I think i will find an independant service dealer in the future for the Service A and such...
Old 03-27-2007, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
SEVEN BILLS for a B service?!?!?! I do it myself because I think my local dealer charges too much and he only wants in the neighborhood of $450. Here's the service schedule according to MB.

A-Service — First visit at approximately 10,000 miles or 1 year, but determined by Flexible Service System; then every 20,000 miles or 2 years.
Services performed:
Interior
1. · Function check
2. · Check warning and indicator lamps, illumination and interior lighting
3. · Check windshield wiper, windshield washer system, headlamp cleaning system
4. · Reset maintenance service counter in instrument cluster
Wheels, brakes
1. · Check front brake pads for lining thickness
2. · Check tires for damage, condition
3. · Correct tire inflation pressure
Engine compartment
1. · Change engine oil and filter
2. · Fluid level checks of the following:
1. · Engine cooling system, antifreeze and corrosion protection
2. · Windshield washer system
3. · Brake system
3. · Check and correct battery fluid level
4. · Check battery condition
5. · Check catch, safety catch and hinges on engine hood for proper operation
Trunk
1. · Correct tire inflation pressure in spare tire
2. · Check battery condition

B-Service — First visit at approximately 20,000 miles or one year after previous service, but determined by Flexible Service System; then every 20,000 miles or 2 years.
Services performed:
Interior
1. · Function check
2. · Check warning and indicator lamps, illumination and interior lighting
3. · Check windshield wiper, windshield washer system, headlamp cleaning system
4. · Reset maintenance service counter in instrument cluster
5. · Replace dust filter (not applicable to SL-Class)
6. · Replace combination filter (SL-Class)
7. · Check parking brake (function test only)
Wheels, brakes
1. · Check condition/thickness of front and rear brake discs
2. · Check front and rear brake pads for lining thickness
3. · Check tires for damage and condition
4. · Measure tread depth, record in mm
5. · Correct tire inflation pressure
Underside of Vehicle
1. · Check for major components leakage
2. · Check for chafe marks, line routing, damaged components
3. · Check condition of front axle ball joints and rubber boots
4. · Check condition of mechanical steering components and rubber boots
Engine Compartment
1. · Check for major components leakage
2. · Check for chafe marks, line routing, damaged components
3. · Check and replenish all fluid levels
4. · Change engine oil and filter
5. · Check engine cooling system, antifreeze and corrosion protection
6. · Check brake system
7. · Check power steering
8. · Check Active Body Control
9. · Check windshield washer system
10. · Check and correct battery fluid level
11. · Check battery condition
12. · Check catch, safety catch and hinges on engine hood for proper operation
13. · Check condition of poly V-belt
Trunk
1. · Check battery condition
2. · Correct tire inflation pressure in spare tire

Basic service is mainly oil changes and checks. I only use MB approved oil (Mobil1 0-40), and OEM oil filters. If the plugs are 5 years old they should be changed. You may want to have the transmission fluid changed. The other items will be in the service booklet - brake fluid every two years, coolant every two years, cabin filter, engine air filter, fuel filter, I'd change the original battery, you may want to get a VMI BEFORE buying the car (the current owner can get one for free), and that's about all I can think of on the maintenance front.

Lastly, I'd never turn down a CPO.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:57 AM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Marcus: Where did you get that WIS, how much does it run ($) and what exactly does WIS stand for anyway?
Old 03-28-2007, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
I got my Workstation Information System from Ebay. I don't remember what I paid. I had to install it twice before it would work, and the EPC DVD that I got with it is now junk. Anyone have a EPC DVD they want to dub me? EPC is the electronic parts catalog.

I do know that MB USA sells a CLK specific service DVD for $60. I've got one of those too. To get one from MB USA, call 1-800-FOR-MERCEDES (367-6372) and ask for a CLK Service CD. Before anyone asks, I've tried dubing the CLK service DVD and the copy never works. The program starts, figures out that the DVD isn't the original, and it shuts down.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:23 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by MarcusF
I got my Workstation Information System from Ebay. I don't remember what I paid. I had to install it twice before it would work, and the EPC DVD that I got with it is now junk. Anyone have a EPC DVD they want to dub me? EPC is the electronic parts catalog.

I do know that MB USA sells a CLK specific service DVD for $60. I've got one of those too. To get one from MB USA, call 1-800-FOR-MERCEDES (367-6372) and ask for a CLK Service CD. Before anyone asks, I've tried dubing the CLK service DVD and the copy never works. The program starts, figures out that the DVD isn't the original, and it shuts down.
Interesting. So you have both the WIS (from eBay) and the MB issued CLK specific DVD? OK, a couple of quick questions:
Which one do you like better for CLK use (more in-depth)?
Is the WIS a CD or DVD?

Sorry for temporarily hijacking this thread people!
Old 03-28-2007, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
The WIS is two DVDs and must be installed on a hardrive. The CLK service DVD is a subset of the WIS and can only be run from the DVD. The service DVD is easier to search. I'd use the WIS more often, but I have it installed on a desktop at home. This is opposed to being able to pop the CLK service DVD in one of my laptops, or take it to work and use it there.

The CLK service DVD is better for ease of use (portability and searching).
The WIS has more information.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:39 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by MarcusF
The WIS is two DVDs and must be installed on a hardrive. The CLK service DVD is a subset of the WIS and can only be run from the DVD. The service DVD is easier to search. I'd use the WIS more often, but I have it installed on a desktop at home. This is opposed to being able to pop the CLK service DVD in one of my laptops, or take it to work and use it there.

The CLK service DVD is better for ease of use (portability and searching).
The WIS has more information.
OK, THANKS! You are the man!