CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Drivers window not working right....help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Man, I bet they tell you you need a window motor! ($$$)
Old 03-25-2014, 09:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
02' CLK 430
Gundo,

You ever figure this one out? I've been trying for days to re-sync my window and it does the same damn thing everytime, stays about 2 inches low...

KRis
Old 03-26-2014, 12:39 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
...not sure if you are doing resyc correctly...
just a refresher course

lower window (not speed down)
Hold 5 seconds when at bottom
raise window (not speed up)..if it stops..let go and press up some more
when it gets to top, hold 5 seconds

give it a try and report back
Old 03-26-2014, 05:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
01 clk 430
Noooooo, Ive been battling this for years now and have tried every suggested way countless times without any success. Ive basically learned to live with it.

So my thesis on this is that my Audio system (Jl W6 sub in particular) has caused this problem. I am curious to know how many of those who have not been able to resolve the issue with a recommended resync method do currently or have had subwoofers rattling the bones of the car?

My theory is that something has came loose or slowly shifted inside the doors due to the constant vibrations. Maybe something to do with the positioning of the window tracks or other components inside the door panels....
Old 03-26-2014, 05:20 PM

01 clk 430
My subwoofer days are over so maybe its time to nut up and take the door panels off for the first time ever. A bit scared I wont be able to get them back on securely....
Old 03-28-2014, 02:32 PM

02' CLK 430
Originally Posted by Gundo
My subwoofer days are over so maybe its time to nut up and take the door panels off for the first time ever. A bit scared I wont be able to get them back on securely....

Cindy I've tried the procedure too many times to count...finally took her in today to a reputable Indy to look at. We will see what happens. Not only does mine not roll all the way up but the auto up down feature is gone too...

Gundo, I've attached some pictures to show you what you are in for. Popping the door panel off is quite easy and only takes about 4-5 screws I believe. I also took the speakers off and sounds dampening for more access. Below you can see a picture of the adjustment guides on the window. I can't seem to get it right. I will update you after I speak to me mechanic about this one.

KRis

Old 03-28-2014, 02:33 PM

02' CLK 430
Originally Posted by Gundo
Does your window raise all the way up? Or does it constantly stay low? Does the auto-up auto-down feature work when you open the doors?

KRis
Old 03-29-2014, 06:03 PM

01 clk 430
KRis, good question, I just noticed the auto up and down sealing feature upon opening/closing door is not functioning. It did used to work just fine.

My windows have no problem rolling up fully if I just do it manually by holding up on first setting until up, however if I hit the one touch up they go all the way up to the top then bounce back down leaving a 1 1/2" or so gap. Both sides do this. This is the problem I can't seem to correct with any suggested reset features.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:22 PM

01 clk 430
I was able to find some interesting info from a thread back in 2005, may try this before taking off door panel... Anybody tried this below?...

"What I found out is that if you open the door, roll down the window to the bottom, and then lie down underneath the door you will see some rubber plugs. Take these out, and then look up inside these holes, and you will see some star shaped bolts. These are the stops for the window regulator, and are adjustable. You will need a female Torx socket of the appropriate size. To make the window stop a little lower, turn the two adjusters (front and rear of window) a quarter of a turn clockwise each (or more as required), and then check the alignment. Ajust them up or down as appropriate, and check the alignment by winding up the window and shutting the door. Don't forget those seals do need to keep the weather out! When you have got the adjustment right, replace the rubber plugs, and then sit in the car, and wind the windows up by holding the switch at the first position (not one touch up), then hold in the 1st position for about 5 seconds. They should then function correctly, and you shouldn't have to slam the doors!!! It worked on mine!"
Old 04-01-2014, 04:46 PM

02' CLK 430
The info is correct. You can adjust the window height by turning these torx bolts (5mm regular socket I think) and moving the window up and down.

As for the auto up/ auto down...here was my problem.

I had taken the door panel off the adjust the window. I tried to re-program the window while the door panel was off. This apparently is a big no-no. The window will only re-program itself if the door is closed (or at least the car thinks your door is closed). During the door panel removal process you are required to remove a small C-clip from around the lock mechanism on the door. The C-clip acts as a push button of sorts. When you close the door with this peice on it pushed a small switch below your hinge (on door frame) to tell the car the door is closed (which allows you to re-program the window and will return the auto-up and auto-down function). I had this peice off and couldn't figure out why my window would not program or the auto up and down would not work.

Furthermore, some people lose the ability to re-program their windows and lose the auto-up auto-down feature because the actual door jamb switch fails and the car always thinks the door is open in-advertantly. For those who simply cannot re-program or have lost the auto up and auto down...look for the door jam switch and try replacing it. It is very small and cheap and sometimes fail. Should this switch have failed you would not be able to program your windows. Does that make sense?

KRis
The following users liked this post:
Beri Bee (05-27-2023)
Old 04-01-2014, 06:10 PM

02' CLK 430
Gundo,

In my first picture of inside the door mechanism you can see the vertical bronze screw. These are the adjustment screws. 1 per side. I've been told that it is good to get in the door panel and grease the rails while you are at it. That's what I ended up doing. You can see the green mtb paste on the support rail.

KRis
Old 04-03-2014, 02:05 PM

01 clk 430
Thanks for the info man, I'll try to get on this over the weekend!
Old 02-15-2023, 09:58 PM

2008 CLK550
Thumbs up 2008 CLK550 Window sync

The window sync solution worked well for a similar problem I had after I discharge my battery. Thanks
Old 05-27-2023, 05:58 PM

CLK 320
CLK W208 1999 Window will not close

Originally Posted by etownbala
The info is correct. You can adjust the window height by turning these torx bolts (5mm regular socket I think) and moving the window up and down.

I had taken the door panel off the adjust the window. I tried to re-program the window while the door panel was off. This apparently is a big no-no. The window will only re-program itself if the door is closed (or at least the car thinks your door is closed). During the door panel removal process you are required to remove a small C-clip from around the lock mechanism on the door. The C-clip acts as a push button of sorts. When you close the door with this peice on it pushed a small switch below your hinge (on door frame) to tell the car the door is closed (which allows you to re-program the window and will return the auto-up and auto-down function). I had this peice off and couldn't figure out why my window would not program or the auto up and down would not work.

Furthermore, some people lose the ability to re-program their windows and lose the auto-up auto-down feature because the actual door jamb switch fails and the car always thinks the door is open in-advertantly. For those who simply cannot re-program or have lost the auto up and auto down...look for the door jam switch and try replacing it. It is very small and cheap and sometimes fail. Should this switch have failed you would not be able to program your windows. Does that make sense?

KRis
Makes complete sense I will try it. Thank you
Old 05-29-2023, 04:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 CLK 430
Had this problem, tried the window reset but it would keep coming back. So I removed the door card and did all off the following which solved the problem but not sure which specifically cured it.
Removing the rear speaker meant I could get better access by removing the vapour barrier plastic.
1.Tightened & Loctited the 10mm bolt at the front of the door under the seat controls
2.Used silicone grease on window mechanism slides, the toothed gear plate (teeth & sides), Light oil on the pivot points x4, rear white guide strip greased as well.
3. Tightened the 3 torx fasteners holding the motor to the door skin, mine were moving.
4. Used a centre punch to stop loose rivets in the same area
5. Removed motor connection plug and sprayed electric contact cleaner on plug and socket.
Hope this helps
Old 03-27-2024, 10:47 PM

2002 CLK320 Cbrio
Thank you

Originally Posted by etownbala

KRis
Thanks for the tip. My door trim was off and the window would not reset. To clarify, the plastic trim piece that surrounds the door latch at the rear of the door is the piece that pushes the door switch when you close the door. If that trim piece is missing, your windows will not operate correctly.