CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Power seat failures

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power seat failures

After about 3 months with my CLK, the coolest function demonstrated to me by the salesman had started to fail. When you lifted the passenger seat-back forward, the seat is supposed to scoot forward to allow easy ingress into the rear cabin. Not only did the seat fail to scoot forward, but when you use the power switches to push the seat forward, it wouldn't return to the original position. The dealership said it just needed to be greased, so they did that (no charge), and a few days later the seat's gremlins perked up again.

I don't really notice it since not only do I not have rear seat passengers, but I rarely have any passengers in the car with me. But in a $60K car, shouldn't everything work? What a bummer.

How many of you guys have this problem? What did the dealer say was the problem and did they fix it successfully?

I'm just learning to live with it.

Bummer. At least the car is fast.
Old 10-23-2002, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Re: Power seat failures

Originally posted by braincuttermd
At least the car is fast.
fast it is... i assume u have the V8?

well, i had a problem where the seat wouldn't go up/down, and the forward-scoot function.

They replaced some part of the motor and everything was cool.... UNTIL... the seat somehow reset itself to stop at a different position when it suppose to scoot forward. took it in, and they reset the stop point. I think it was my fault, cause on more than one occasion I would have a water bottle stuck under the seat, having the seat crush it when it slides forward...

I now leave all water bottles in the rear between the seats... and no problems since
Old 10-23-2002, 04:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E400 COUPE SOLD -> Porsche Taycan 4S
ahhhh the power seat problem once again resurfaces.... you think that a $60K car shouldnt have these kinds of problems...

b
Old 10-23-2002, 04:14 AM

CLK 430 Coupe + MGF + 1980 Camaro
only ever had one prob.... my wifes handbag jammed under the seat... removed it and no probs since...

another thing to check.. which confused my jag dealer for 2 days... check for small coins in the seat runner.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:37 AM

CLK 320
My seat recently stopped sliding forward and back. The dealer had to replace the seat rail. Not sure why. I will have to look at the print out from the dealer.
Old 10-23-2002, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 192 Likes on 172 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
I thought I had a problem with the front seat no longer moving forward to allow access to the back seat and had my dealer check it out. They said that the seat only moves forward if the person using the front seats have them set back fairly far (i.e. for more leg room).

I checked this out and it seems to be true (i.e. when the front seat is way back, it slides forward and when it is more forward, it does not).

Can someone try this on another CLK to see if the same happens?
Old 10-23-2002, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Originally posted by Serndipity
I thought I had a problem with the front seat no longer moving forward to allow access to the back seat and had my dealer check it out. They said that the seat only moves forward if the person using the front seats have them set back fairly far (i.e. for more leg room).

I checked this out and it seems to be true (i.e. when the front seat is way back, it slides forward and when it is more forward, it does not).

Can someone try this on another CLK to see if the same happens?
this is correct... but if you still want the seat to slide up further for back seat entry... you can take it to the dealer to have them reset the stop point for that function.
Old 10-24-2002, 01:35 AM

2002 CLK320
I had exactly the same problem last week on my 2002 CLK320. It actually started with the driver's seat then also to the passenger seat when I started "working" on it. I thought at first that there might be some obstruction on the rails but no. MB's service dept. weren't able to tell what caused it but they had to replace the "control unit" for the seat control module after it blew a couple of fuses.
Old 12-18-2002, 12:57 AM

2002 CLK320
Unhappy Front Seat Problem

Well, it happened again. My seat won't move back and forth at all after I tried to get into the read cabin. I don't want to get my car (2002 CLK320) serviced every other month for this same problem. What can we do now?
Old 12-18-2002, 07:12 PM

CLK 320
I had the same problem. At first my seat wouldn't move forward when I pulled the latch to let someone into the back seat. Then it wouldn't move forward or backward if I used the switches on the door, but if I used the memory switches it would move to the correct location. Then eventually the seat stopped moving all together. After replacing a blown fuse, the dealer said that there was something wrong with the motor, so the dealer replaced the whole rail and motor system underneath. The problem is now fixed.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 CLK 55 AMG
Sometimes the plunger rod that connects the top seat knob/lever to the control mechanism under the seat gets disconnected. You have to forcefully reinsert it down near the seat hinges.

Here's a question. When you move the seat backwards when sitting in it, the headrest goes up. But when you move the seat forwards, shouldn't the headrest slide downwards? Mine just keeps going up no matter what direction I slide.

$80k P.O.S.
/ducks