CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Leather problem...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 06:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'03 E55 (My Daily), '01 ML 320 (Wifey), Twin Turbo '69 Camaro (In Progess)
Leather problem...

Does anyone know if the leather in our cars is clear coated? I apply Lexol religiously to my interior on a near weekly basis and have noticed that perforated leather section of my seats now has a crinkled finish to it after only one afternoon in the heat (it is normally garaged all day). To make matters worse, the dye from the leather seems to be coming off on my terrycloth when I apply the lexol. I have used nothing but quality leather products on my interior (Lexol and Leatherique) and am very saddened by the poor quality of MB leather. Does anyone make a replacement leather for the perforated portion of our seats or is the only fix a full recovering of my seats? Thanks in advance!
Old 08-29-2007, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
2002 CLK430
It sounds like your seats may have been treated with something that disagrees with Lexol. For example, if someone has cleaned the seats and then conditioned them with Zymol, and then you followed that up with Lexol, you might see the dye on your towels.

I'm on vacation and don't have my leather notes with me, but you may want to clean the seats (remove the old conditioner) before applying the Lexol. If this thread is alive when I'm back home, I'll post the notes I have on leather care.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:20 PM

Thanks Marcus. I used Leatherique to deep clean the leather and condition it. Its a great product and I don't have the dye coming out anymore, but it is still sticky to the touch. The only problem is that the leather has a "crinkled" finish on the performated portion of the leather, almost as though whatever coating the leather has on it from the factory has been lifted from the leather and looks crinkled.

Enjoy your vacation!
Old 08-30-2007, 11:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E63 AMG
I think you used too much product on your seats and steering wheel. You should only condition the leather every six months with product and use only water damp cotton cloth wipe down once a week to keep the dirt off and out of your leather. You may try to only use the damp wipe down for a few months to see how everything goes. DO NOT WET THE LEATHER WITH A LOT OF WATER USE DRY DAMP CLOTH ONLY!
Old 08-31-2007, 12:49 AM

Thanks for the tip Dawson. I will stop my overzealous tendencies with the leather conditioner and see how it works for me.