CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Crankshaft Position problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK320
Crankshaft Position Sensor

Has anyone had an issue with there crankshaft on your CLK320 model? I just want to know how much this normally cost and how severe this issue may be. Also where is it located at and how easy is it to replace yourself. Also, I'm getting an Trans Control System error on my diagnostic check!! Problem after problem here!! Any help or insight on these issues would be great help!! Thanks!

Last edited by TRog; 09-18-2007 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 CLK430
What are your symptoms? A crankshaft Position Sensor is EXTREMELY EASY to replace yourself. There is a DIY posted here on this forum. It is one bolt to take off and then just replace it.

BUT...its a little hard to get to the screw but it definitely worth the money saved. It should only take you 30-45 minutes at the most.

Oh yeah....the CPS Sensor is a very common wear item on the W208. They go out all the D**n time. They should not be going out like this but they do. I was a victim of that months ago. Hope this helps.

Greg
Old 09-19-2007, 11:10 AM

CLK320, Honda Ruckus, pinto & BMX
i had my CPS changed a year ago.. can't remember on the price .. but i think i'd paid $200 installed.. i think it could be cheaper if you do it yourself...
Old 09-19-2007, 07:53 PM

2001 CLK320
Thanks for all the help here! Appreciate! I think I'm going to replace it myself! Another question...does the CPS cause your car to shut off while driving if it's bad?? Thanks!
Old 09-20-2007, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Originally Posted by TRog
Thanks for all the help here! Appreciate! I think I'm going to replace it myself! Another question...does the CPS cause your car to shut off while driving if it's bad?? Thanks!

Yes, it will cause the car to shut off as soon as the engine gets warm. The engine never shut off on me while I was actually at speed but it did shut off at red lights or in drive-thru's.

Greg
Old 09-21-2007, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W215
Originally Posted by gregory13lil
Yes, it will cause the car to shut off as soon as the engine gets warm. The engine never shut off on me while I was actually at speed but it did shut off at red lights or in drive-thru's.

Greg
God, tell me about it. I went 4 days like that. I can't think of anything more embarrassing than sitting at a stop light with hazards blinking, while blocking traffic. The CKP as it's know, reminds me of the thorn in the tigers paw.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:05 PM

CLK430
yes that cps is a pain in the butt! if you have big hands! and u must use a star head socket

Trending Topics

Old 09-28-2007, 10:24 AM

2001 CLK320
Yeah, you need a star socket! It is a real simple do it yourself fix!! I got mine done myself...no dealship overhead cost on me!!
Old 10-15-2007, 11:23 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 CLK 55
Did you fix you CPS?

Just wanted to know if this fixed your problem or if you are still having issues.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:20 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 CLK 320 Drop Top
Originally Posted by deuxslow
God, tell me about it. I went 4 days like that. I can't think of anything more embarrassing than sitting at a stop light with hazards blinking, while blocking traffic. The CKP as it's know, reminds me of the thorn in the tigers paw.
This happened to me TWICE today!!! Once on K St and once right around the corner on 15th St in D.C.!!! Of course it was in thick traffic!!!

Question: Do you have to go under the car to get to it? I tried to look from the top but couldn't see much. I have the part and plan on replacing it tomorrow.

I also noticed that when the temperature reached about 100 F is when the car shut off. Once it cooled down back to 80 it would start. Do you think I should also drain and replace the coolant to keep the car running below 100?
Old 10-19-2007, 05:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Originally Posted by Missinlinc
This happened to me TWICE today!!! Once on K St and once right around the corner on 15th St in D.C.!!! Of course it was in thick traffic!!!

Question: Do you have to go under the car to get to it? I tried to look from the top but couldn't see much. I have the part and plan on replacing it tomorrow.

I also noticed that when the temperature reached about 100 F is when the car shut off. Once it cooled down back to 80 it would start. Do you think I should also drain and replace the coolant to keep the car running below 100?
NO, you shouldnt have to drain the coolant UNLESS you just want new coolant.

To look for the CPS esbure that your hood is opened completely, (when you open the hood like normal you can still push the latch on the passenger side latch to open it up EVEN more) then just stand beside the driver side fender facing the engine. The CPS sensor is located on the side of the engine facing you under the firewall..this makes getting to it a little tough. You will see the top of the sensor (I recommend you take off the engine cover as well), Just take the connector off the switch and then you are ready to take it off. You will need a star screwdriver to take this part off and the HOW-to section has the size of the screwdriver ( I just cant remember off hand right now). The screw will again be located on on the back of the switch facing the drivers seat. They should of put the screw towards the front but I guess they (MB) decided to make it difficult for us LOL. Hope this helps a little.

Greg
Old 10-20-2007, 12:32 AM
Almost a Member!

2000 CLK 320 Drop Top
Thanks for the info Greg! I got to it and changed it out today! It took me a little longer than I expected b ut thats because I had the wrong kind of star bits! I had internal stars rather than external stars! This was my first time working on a Benz! Everything is good now!
Old 10-20-2007, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Originally Posted by Missinlinc
Thanks for the info Greg! I got to it and changed it out today! It took me a little longer than I expected b ut thats because I had the wrong kind of star bits! I had internal stars rather than external stars! This was my first time working on a Benz! Everything is good now!

NO PROBLEM!! Just glad it worked out for you.

Greg