CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Car cant get alligned

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2007 | 04:22 PM

Clk 55 04
Car cant get alligned

Alright so we tried to allign the car 2 times but no sucess , enven at 20mph I have to keep the strering wheel at about 30 degres on the left to drive straight. I rebalanced the wheels no succes. What could it be?????
Old 12-14-2007 | 04:58 PM

01 430 CLK, 85 RR Silver Spur, 90 Bentley Turbo R, 93 FLSTN
Bad mechanic...
Old 12-14-2007 | 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by Idle Swede
Bad mechanic...
+1

Where are you having this work performed?
Old 12-14-2007 | 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 3.2
Originally Posted by Chappy
+1

Where are you having this work performed?

I have the same problem and the alignment shop told me that I need a camber kit to get the results I want because my car has more negative camber on the right front wheel. My car pulls to the right so I have to turn the wheel to the left...it's getting annoying. It's not that much of a pull but it's enough to annoy me because I lie thing to be perfect on my car.
Old 12-14-2007 | 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 3.2
Originally Posted by Focus on this 1
Alright so we tried to allign the car 2 times but no sucess , enven at 20mph I have to keep the strering wheel at about 30 degres on the left to drive straight. I rebalanced the wheels no succes. What could it be?????

If your car is lowered like mine and you find a remedy for this without having to buy a camber kit let me know asap...thanks.
Old 12-14-2007 | 07:18 PM

BMW
Originally Posted by CLK FAN

I have the same problem and the alignment shop told me that I need a camber kit to get the results I want because my car has more negative camber on the right front wheel. My car pulls to the right so I have to turn the wheel to the left...it's getting annoying. It's not that much of a pull but it's enough to annoy me because I lie thing to be perfect on my car.
I had my car alligned a few times and no success. In August, my shop alligned my car and supposedly installed a camber kit, but I don't seem to notice a difference.

My car also pulls to the right and I constantly need to steer the wheel a bit to the left for it to drive straight. It's especially noticeable when I drive on narrow streets (most streets here are narrow).

I will be taking my car to wheel works sometime next month.
Old 12-14-2007 | 08:11 PM

CLS63 AMG S
seems contagious im experiencing the same problems on my clk as well it pulls to the left really sucks
Old 12-14-2007 | 09:14 PM

Clk 55 04
Originally Posted by CLK FAN
If your car is lowered like mine and you find a remedy for this without having to buy a camber kit let me know asap...thanks.
nope my car is not dropped at all , its a weird problem and really annoying.
Old 12-15-2007 | 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
30 degrees? THIRTY? Assuming you don't have accident damage, Idle Swede and Chappy are 100% right. Let me go the next step and say the wrench is an idiot. Balancing the wheels has nothing to do with the problem. They might as well have recommended using a different brand of toothpaste.

The problem is the "steering center" hasn't been properly set. To set it, they should put the car on the rack, turn the wheel from left to right a couple of times to make sure the steering valve doesn't have a load on it, then set the steering wheel in a straight ahead position - and lock it. THEN the toe should be set. Afterwards, they should start the car again to ensure a load wasn't put on the power steering unit while the tie rods were being adjusted (tie rods are adjusted to set toe). Then turn the car off and check the toe again.

If they can’t figure out how to set the steering center, you may be better off using a different shop. Here's a photo I took of the specs on a car whose owner used a chain store shop to align his car. The chain store had aligned it THREE TIMES. He couldn't figure out why it didn't *feel* right. LOL

Old 12-15-2007 | 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Custom CLK / 05 E500 4matic / 04 Acura TL <<Daily
You can also undo your steering wheel and readjusted, just a thought.
Old 12-16-2007 | 08:42 PM

Mine does the same thing and has since I got it. I went to and Indy shop for an alignment, and when he was done, my alignment was fine before he even did anything. It's, allegedly, my tires. I run Nitto NT555 which are directional tires. If you put them on the "right" way, my car pulls hard right just as you all are speaking of. Now, when you put them on backwards my car pulls to the left.

After this finding I started to really take into consideration that just maybe our cars are super sensitive to certain brands of tires (ie Michelin, Contys)