CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Another Oil Change Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used to be a CLK430
Question Another Oil Change Question

Hey guys,

I posted this on the Tech forum but haven't received any responses yet....anyone care to help??

I hate to ask another question about DIY oil changes, but I'm just not finding the info I'm looking for in the archives.

1. I live in Houston, TX ~ what kind of oil should I be using? The dealer used 20W50 (don't know the brand) according to my last service order.

2. Where is the oil filter located...pics would be extremely helpful if possible!!

3. Where can I buy an oil filter (besides the dealer) and what brand do to buy?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-14-2002, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Another Oil Change Question

Originally posted by nickv
Hey guys,

I posted this on the Tech forum but haven't received any responses yet....anyone care to help??

I hate to ask another question about DIY oil changes, but I'm just not finding the info I'm looking for in the archives.

1. I live in Houston, TX ~ what kind of oil should I be using? The dealer used 20W50 (don't know the brand) according to my last service order.

2. Where is the oil filter located...pics would be extremely helpful if possible!!

3. Where can I buy an oil filter (besides the dealer) and what brand do to buy?

Thanks in advance!
1. Anything from 10w30 to 20w50, I'd recommend at least 10w40 being that you're in TX...just make sure if it's regular or synthetic, and stick with it,

2. Upright cylinder towards the front of the engine, big black cap, unwind it and lift it up and there's the filter...just remember to change the rubber rings as well,

3. Any auto parts store.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
If you are following the FSS schedule, definitely use a synthetic...a regular oil isn't going to last for the 10 to 12,000 miles. The class action suit involving the ML was based on Mecedes not requiring the synthetic oil.
Old 11-14-2002, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

But if he's been using regular oil all along, then switching to synthetic might cause him to have oil leaks.

And I think it's '99 and before that had regular oil, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:08 PM

'02 SLK32 AMG
There is a little leaflet called "Factory Approved Service Products" available from your dealer that lists all of the approved oils and viscosities (based on climate) for all 1998 and newer M-Bs with FSS. If you bought the car new, MBUSA mailed you the leaflet in March 2000, although it's been updated since then.

The most current list I have is from July 2001 and it lists the following oils

Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic 0W-40
Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic 15W-50
Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic 5W-50
Castrol Syntec 5W-50
Castrol Syntec 10W-40
Quaker State Full Synthetic European Formula 5W-40
Pennzoil Synthetic European 5W-40
76 Pure Synthetic 5W-40
Castrol TXT Softec Plus 5W-30
Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30
Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40

Obviously, this list is out of date since Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic was replace with Mobil 1 SuperSyn several months ago.

FYI, all AMG cars come from the factory with Mobil 1 0W-40 and that particulare grade is approved by M-B for all climates. It's available at AutoZone stores for $4.99/quart.

The oil filter is on the top front driver's side of the engine. There's a black plastic cap about 3-or 4-inches in diameter. You have to unscrew that cap and the filter cartridge is underneath. There's a tool that looks like a big socket for unscrewing the cap. You can buy a nice aluminum one at the dealer for about $10 or you can buy a plastic one at just about any auto parts store for $5.

Just buy the filter from the dealer. You probably won't find one anywhere else locally without having to order it.

Safet, Fully-Synthetic oil is required for all 1998 and newer M-B models. Also, synthetic oil does not cause leaks, and it hasn't even been proven that it will make existing leaks worse.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brian,

I think someone wrote that a car that's been running regular oil, switching to synthetic might cause it to leak from minor imperfections that regular oil couldn't leak from?
Old 11-14-2002, 10:49 PM

'02 SLK32 AMG
Originally posted by Safet
Brian,

I think someone wrote that a car that's been running regular oil, switching to synthetic might cause it to leak from minor imperfections that regular oil couldn't leak from?
Yes, I know about it. There are two possible causes: 1) There are existing leaks that were unnoticed an they get worse because the synthetic oil flows easier. 2) There were old leaks that have plugged up with debris and the synthetic oil cleans out the debris and starts leaking again. As I recently found out, neither are actually proven to occur, but it doesn't matter since both presume that the engine already had leaks some time before synthetic oil was used.
Old 11-16-2002, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do a search on oil changes on this thread. I found a few links with pictures to a SLK 320 and an E320 both undergoing oil changes. I printed out the instructions and had them next to me the first time I changed my own oil.

I bought the Mobil 1 OW40. My 430 uses 8.5 quarts according to the manual.