CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Does anyone here have a lowered car and a system in the trunk?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2008 | 09:46 PM

Does anyone here have a lowered car and a system in the trunk?

Hey guys. It's been forever since I posted here. But just like the title asks, do any of you have a lowered car with a sub box in the trunk? Did you have it in the car before or after you lowered it?

I'm going to be lowering my car in the next week or so and am wondering if I should leave the box in or take it out when I lower it.

Mine weighs about 70 lbs. and right now gives my car a slight squat (stock ofcourse) in the rear that is barely noticable, but I'm just worried about which springs and pads I should go with to give my car that look where the front is slightly lower than the back.

I'm just worried about not getting it right the first time. Any suggestions??
Old 03-03-2008 | 09:52 PM

i have to jl w7's 2 amps in the trunk.. lowered with h&r and bielstein sport shocks..
Old 03-03-2008 | 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Current: AMG GT-C. Sold: 01 CLK55, 00 ML55, 01 ML55, 06 E55
i had mine lowered w/ a sub box and had no probs. However, it was using the stock spring pad and a 255 30 19 tire. If u want to keep it in, just use 1 bump higher spring pad than you'd want w/out it. IE, if ur planning on doing #1 all the way around, use #2 in the rear instead to make up for it.
Old 03-03-2008 | 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by imphaded
i have to jl w7's 2 amps in the trunk.. lowered with h&r and bielstein sport shocks..

are there any pics of your ride on here or on the other site? I think I'm going to go with H&R's with Bilstein Heavy Duty shocks.
Old 03-03-2008 | 09:59 PM

clk430
Hey

I have 19's completely slammed on H&R and #1 pads. I would say it is among the lowest I have seen online and in person, and I also have a 15" sub with amp etc all in the trunk. I am not sure about exact weight, but the box is roughly over 2cu.ft.

All that being said, there is no issue whatsoever in terms of rubbing in the rear, going over speedbumps and even those freeway bumps that happen when the paving switches from old to new.

so basically, dont trip.

Rishi
Old 03-03-2008 | 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by SlickCLK
Hey

I have 19's completely slammed on H&R and #1 pads. I would say it is among the lowest I have seen online and in person, and I also have a 15" sub with amp etc all in the trunk. I am not sure about exact weight, but the box is roughly over 2cu.ft.

All that being said, there is no issue whatsoever in terms of rubbing in the rear, going over speedbumps and even those freeway bumps that happen when the paving switches from old to new.

so basically, dont trip.

Rishi

I'm not worried about any rubbing. I'm worried about not using the right pads or springs the first time and then having to do it 2 or 3 more times to get the right look. Feel me?
Old 03-03-2008 | 10:03 PM

clk430
I know what you mean, I would suggest that if you are afraid it wont be low enough, why not go with the #1s and the sub in the trunk first.

Pads can be swapped out easily, so if there are any problems or it doesnt look right, throw on the number 2s.

clk forum is crackin right now haha
Old 03-03-2008 | 10:10 PM

clk forum is crackin right now haha
No **** huh? It's been ages since I've been on, but I do still come back every now and then to do some searches on some stuff.

I think I'm going to go with #1 in the front, but I don't know what size my rears are stock.

I might as well post some pics and vides while I'm at it. All the work and build was done by me.

Last edited by falls profet; 03-03-2008 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-03-2008 | 10:37 PM

clk430
How do you like the sundown?

I am running an rlp 15, I assume you know about SSA if you are rockin some of the underground stuff.

pretty cool that you did that all yourself.
Old 03-03-2008 | 11:26 PM

go with 1 pads in the front leave the rears stock..thats what everyone seemed to do for an even gap in front and rear..

no pics of my car recently ill try and get some for you..

with bielstein shocks your gonna sacrifice ride.. you might wanna invest in a camber kit for the rear as i've heard with the upgraded springs/shocks .. the camber kit will help the ride a ton..

in all honestly i feel my car rides like horseshi.t ever since i switched to the bielstein shocks.. something to think about..
Old 03-04-2008 | 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w208
ya i have H&Rs with bilsteins......i have about 110 lb of audio back there so i have #4 pads in the rear (#1e class pads in front) and it gave me a nice even drop...

Carl...TWO w7s back there? that sh*t must f*kin pound!!...howd u even fit that in a box thatd allow for enough cubic space and proper air flow?? ....u got ne trunk space left? lol ne pics?
Old 03-04-2008 | 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by deyainrdy4ds
ya i have H&Rs with bilsteins......i have about 110 lb of audio back there so i have #4 pads in the rear (#1e class pads in front) and it gave me a nice even drop...

Carl...TWO w7s back there? that sh*t must f*kin pound!!...howd u even fit that in a box thatd allow for enough cubic space and proper air flow?? ....u got ne trunk space left? lol ne pics?
it hits hard i'm assuming it aint setup properly if you talk about this cubic space and proper air flow.. i just bought the most expensive **** at the store i visited..

it was when i was new money..
Old 03-04-2008 | 12:20 PM

How do you like the sundown?

I am running an rlp 15, I assume you know about SSA if you are rockin some of the underground stuff.

pretty cool that you did that all yourself.

I love it! I'm running somewhere between 12-1300 watts to these Realm Audio subs and it's almost too loud. The sound quality is amazing and I think the CLK has the best acoustics out of any vehicle I have owned so far. And you're right, not too many people know about Sundown or Realm. Realm Audio came out last May and they are hands down the best SQ sub I have ever heard. Yes just as clean as a JL W6, but get louder with absolutely no distortion. Although I really want some SoundSplinter RLPs too!

To be honest, I've been on caraudio.com for a while now when I got back into wanting another loud stereo.

Also Hersh, where the HELL can I find some pics of your car from the side?

Imphaded I would still like to see some pics of yours too.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Last edited by falls profet; 03-04-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-04-2008 | 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w208
Originally Posted by falls profet
I love it! I'm running somewhere between 12-1300 watts to these Realm Audio subs and it's almost too loud. The sound quality is amazing and I think the CLK has the best acoustics out of any vehicle I have owned so far. And you're right, not too many people know about Sundown or Realm. Realm Audio came out last May and they are hands down the best SQ sub I have ever heard. Yes just as clean as a JL W6, but get louder with absolutely no distortion. Although I really want some SoundSplinter RLPs too!

To be honest, I've been on caraudio.com for a while now when I got back into wanting another loud stereo.

Also Hersh, where the HELL can I find some pics of your car from the side?

Imphaded I would still like to see some pics of yours too.

Thanks for all the help guys.
no doubt...heres some sideshots...:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...180&highlight=

also chek this recent thread for a b4/after perspective:
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208/233448-18-without-drop.html
Old 03-04-2008 | 01:08 PM

Thanks a lot buddy! And your sub box is in the trunk in these pics right?
Old 03-04-2008 | 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w208
Originally Posted by falls profet
Thanks a lot buddy! And your sub box is in the trunk in these pics right?
yup..its a pretty significant amount higher in the rear and lower in the front wen i take the box out...
Old 03-04-2008 | 02:18 PM

CLK55 AMG
+3 on leaving the rear pads stock and putting #1 pads in the front. I don't have a sub box and I run #2 up front and stock #3 on rear. I am thinking about changing the front pad to a #1 so I don't have any sag when there is weight in the trunk. It sits perfectly level right now when unloaded.
Old 03-04-2008 | 02:21 PM

CLK55 AMG
Oh yeah, the rear pads are VERY easy to change out so go low in the front first and plan on adjusting the rear if it needs it.