CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

HEELLLLLPPPPPPP!!!! I accidentally ran my car out of gas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 CLK 320
HEELLLLLPPPPPPP!!!! I accidentally ran my car out of gas

I was driving to go get gas and my car started vibrating and not accelerating when I put my foot on the gas. It started shakin and stopped and I had to get these mexicans to push me to the gas station.
The check engine light went on in between all of this.

So I got the gas and the next time I idle it starts vibrating pretty bad and I got back to my office and turned it off and then it stopped vibrating at an idle

I had my dad drive it and he thought I was crazy cuz of the idle vibrating thing cuz it wasnt vibrating when he drove it.

I just put a new MAF in and my g-ma had the back motor mounts fixed 5 years ago when she owned it.

Does anyone know what it could be?

Thank you in advance!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-22-2008, 06:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 c240
How old are ya my friend? Most anyone with any previous car experience knows not to let a fuel injection car run out of gas. I'm gonna guess young'un.

If you are lucky enough to only need your lines purged, that won't be too horrible of a deal, but the reality is that most of the time when you run it that dry you suck sh&t into the fuel line and clog the filter - causing you to need to do a fuel filter replacement. (which before you ask is behind/beside the passenger rear wheel).

Plus now you have a CEL that needs to go in and be cleared completely from the computer - no an autozone scanner won't clear it from the computer, it will only turn the light off.

Last edited by The Jury; 03-22-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:15 PM

1998 CLK 320
I'm 19 and this is my first luxury car my g-ma hooked me up at a good price

I'm used to Toyota's lol a totally different animal

Well now the car drives perfectly fine before this whole incident today.

It drives fine but the CEL is still on so how would I get a computer to clear it?

I mean I want to know for sure that it is ok but I am thinkin of disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it to see if it goes away.

I am just totally surprised that it drives fine now, I don't get it, could there still be a problem tho?
Old 03-22-2008, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
The car is 10 years old. If original motor mounts lasted 5 years, and they're 5 years old now, then there is a good possibility that they're bad again. Fluid filled motor mounts are a normal wear item.

Regarding your current problem, if the CEL is on, an error code was stored. Dump the codes and post the results.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 c240
Originally Posted by 1998CLK320
I'm 19 and this is my first luxury car my g-ma hooked me up at a good price

I'm used to Toyota's lol a totally different animal

Well now the car drives perfectly fine before this whole incident today.

It drives fine but the CEL is still on so how would I get a computer to clear it?

I mean I want to know for sure that it is ok but I am thinkin of disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it to see if it goes away.

I am just totally surprised that it drives fine now, I don't get it, could there still be a problem tho?
If it's driving properly it purged itself (lucky you). You'll still have to hook to a dealer only scanner to remove the code from the computer, a non dealer scanner will only turn the light off when you hit the clear code button making you think there is no code there.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:57 AM

1998 CLK 320
I sell insurance for a living and I have absolutely no clue as to how the car works.

What does that mean that the lines are purged?

And if I get a diagnostic check and it turns the light off isn't that what I want?