CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

The "Shell V-Power Experience"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 S55 AMG
The "Shell V-Power Experience"

So I took my car in for an Oil change, coolant flush and brake flush..Suddenly, the light goes on indicating that i'm running on reserve fuel.Shell gas station was on the corner and I said, what the heck. Full tank, $53! Damn...I said. Anyway, I was very happy with how smooth the car was running after the service so I floored it. OMG! My car's like a beast! It just wants to keep on going and amazingly, it has been holding the gears!

What's funny was the whole time when I was on my lead foot stage a G35 coupe was on my right rear quarter panel the whole time! I didn't realize it until we hit the traffic light. He gave me a thumbs up and then made a right turn. Lol.

Anyhow, I am surprised with Shell's V-power. I don't mind paying the extra bucks now that my car likes it. I used to get gas from 76 or Valero..NEVER AGAIN. Hello V-power..Do you think that the aforementioned service thing had anything to do with how responsive my car is? Just wondering...
Old 04-12-2008, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
w208
ya the other service prob had somethin to do with it...i doubt that notable a change would b from just gas but i guess its possible...i tried vpower and didnt feel any type of difference ...mayb 76 and valero just werent good before? i always use exxon but might try using BP soon
Old 04-12-2008, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 CLK430
Hmmm I will have to try it!! Sometimes it seems that the stars and moons line up just perfectly (LOL) and give us a perfect downshift, takeoff and a perfect climb up the RPM's!!! So it could have been one of those times or...maybe the old gas you were getting was not as good as Shells.

I just did a full tune-up on my friend CLK430 (plugs, wires, air filters). She rode in my car and she said that her car did not pick up and have the pulling power that mine did. So I asked her when the last full tune-up was and she had never had new plugs at all since new (2002 CLK430). Needless to say we drove her car after the install and she said that it drove like a brand new car. It wouldnt burn the tires before and now she can easily burn em out at take off from a light. But an oil change wouldnt give you new found power unless the oil was too old and too thick???

Hopefully your power is there to stay...Laters
Old 04-12-2008, 12:47 PM

I use "ferrari fuel" shell v-power all the time.. if not i use sunoco 94oct..

It does make a difference... but i think the oil change and other stuff you had done was the main thing

cheers
Old 04-12-2008, 04:36 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
1997 E420
I like V-Power too. Can't be sure that there is a difference but it sure seems like I'm feeling something. Good to hear others have the same feeling!

Are you using premium Rocko? $53 for a tank sounds like a deal to me if so!
Old 04-12-2008, 06:16 PM

06 S55 AMG
Originally Posted by CA_Tallguy
Are you using premium Rocko? $53 for a tank sounds like a deal to me if so!
Yes I am...last time I checked premium here in the bay area was $4.05 a gallon. Lol...The thing that I don't like about CA is our ocatane rating. When I was living in Mc Lean, VA, premium octane for V-power was 93 and Sunoco had a premium octane rating of 94!

Anyway, maybe it was just the service but nevertheless, I love V-power..quick question, where can I get green filters? Part#2247? Thanks again guys..see you around the bay area
Old 04-12-2008, 08:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK320 / E500
So I wonder how this would compare to Chevron's Premium?
Old 04-14-2008, 08:30 AM

CLK 320
Here in Brazil, We have the more advanced gasoline of the world. Gasoline PODIUM. Podium is the gasoline with higher octanagem among whole marketed now about of the world. This gasoline has low texts of benzene and sulfur in its composition, propitiating a reduction of up to 42% of monoxide of carbon (CO) and, consequently, helping in the preservation of the environment.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:57 PM

CLK430
Sometimes i like to fill up with cam2 100 octane or vp fuels unleaded option.

down in point pleasant nj the valero gas station has 100 octane out of the pump.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 CLK320
I would use 93+ if I can find it around San Francisco.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
E55
Originally Posted by rocko
Yes I am...last time I checked premium here in the bay area was $4.05 a gallon. Lol...The thing that I don't like about CA is our ocatane rating. When I was living in Mc Lean, VA, premium octane for V-power was 93 and Sunoco had a premium octane rating of 94!

Anyway, maybe it was just the service but nevertheless, I love V-power..quick question, where can I get green filters? Part#2247? Thanks again guys..see you around the bay area
go on autoanything.com, they are way cheaper than others. i pad 100 dollars for two filters and 3 day select shipping to md. they were 40.26 each from my clk500
Old 04-15-2008, 03:56 PM

BMW
Originally Posted by sfclk
I would use 93+ if I can find it around San Francisco.
We don't have 93+ in San Francisco.

I use 92 octane though.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
E55 AMG (SOLD), EvoSport CLK (SOLD), 2013 GsxR 750 (SOLD)
HmMmMm.... When i bought the car, the previous owner mentioned that ever since he bought the car brand new, he's always been putting only one type of gas... 91 octane at Chevron cause of it's techron. When he told me that, i got excited. LoL. Even before i owned my CLK, i've been putting 91 octane at Chevron for the past 7 years. I've never pumped anything else unless it was someone else's car. I personally noticed that after many years, my previous car ALWAYS ran smooth compared to other exact same cars i've driven, even ones that were a year or two newer than mine.

By the way, i was curious...

- What does gasoline with higher octanes than 91 do?
- What's the difference in "racing fuel"?
- Is there noticeable difference as far as performance?

Old 04-15-2008, 09:53 PM

W208 CLK55
Thumbs up Ultimate vs V-Power

Can't say if there's actually any noticeable power between the 93-octane premium fuels that I use. Only on very desperate occasions have I ever used anything except Amoco/BP/Shell fuel. My father brainwashed me early that Amoco and shell fuels are always "clean/white gas" and to never just buy whatever is the cheapest. My dad isn't smarter than your dad, in fact he's a downright oaf sometimes, but I'm glad he pounded that advice into my skull.
Hooray clean injectors

Has anyone ever heard that you should never pump gas into your car while the station's tanks are being filled by Santa "Tanker" Claus? I heard somewhere that supposedly, when the station is re-upping, sediment and dirt that's seeped into the station's tanks is stirred-up and ends up getting pumped into your car.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 CLK320
Originally Posted by Jessica90
We don't have 93+ in San Francisco.

I use 92 octane though.
where?
Old 04-16-2008, 02:48 AM

BMW
Originally Posted by sfclk
where?
Twin Peaks Gas Station on Portola Dr.

Not all at that gas station are 92. Only one of them is and the rest is 91.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:16 PM

Here in Brazil, We have the more advanced gasoline of the world. Gasoline PODIUM. Podium is the gasoline with higher octanagem among whole marketed now about of the world. This gasoline has low texts of benzene and sulfur in its composition, propitiating a reduction of up to 42% of monoxide of carbon (CO) and, consequently, helping in the preservation of the environment.

That's great to here Andrers83! I keep up with the stock market and I constantly hear about the petroleum advances in Brazil. Brazil seems to be ahead of the world in the petroleum business.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:58 PM

CLK 320
Originally Posted by tbsi430

That's great to here Andrers83! I keep up with the stock market and I constantly hear about the petroleum advances in Brazil. Brazil seems to be ahead of the world in the petroleum business.
Yeah, the Petrobras is the firts company of the world in extracting petroleum in deep waters. And don't forget the ethanol.

Now here in Brazil, all the cars come out of it manufactures bi fuels, that is to say, it works with gasoline and ethanol.

Last edited by andrers83; 04-17-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:04 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
I just got service B, w/new plugs and wires. A world of difference. However, the mechanic (an indy) said the cars seem to perform best with Shell (an BP) so maybe there is truth to this.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by babyboigsxr
HmMmMm.... When i bought the car, the previous owner mentioned that ever since he bought the car brand new, he's always been putting only one type of gas... 91 octane at Chevron cause of it's techron. When he told me that, i got excited. LoL. Even before i owned my CLK, i've been putting 91 octane at Chevron for the past 7 years. I've never pumped anything else unless it was someone else's car. I personally noticed that after many years, my previous car ALWAYS ran smooth compared to other exact same cars i've driven, even ones that were a year or two newer than mine.

By the way, i was curious...

- What does gasoline with higher octanes than 91 do?
- What's the difference in "racing fuel"?
- Is there noticeable difference as far as performance?

Q. What does gasoline with higher octanes than 91 do?

A. When the air/fuel is ignited with a spark, a flame front and a pressure wave begin moving across the face of the piston. As fuel and air burn, naturally the combustion chamber gets hotter, but cylinder pressures increase as well. The pressure and heat causes the remaining unburned air/fuel mixture to become unstable. Fuel with a lower octane level has a greater chance of auto igniting. When fuel auto ignites, a second pressure wave starts moving. When the two waves hit, that’s the pinging noise you hear.

Q. What's the difference in "racing fuel"?

A. Basically, the chemical make ups are different. There are many types of race gas, and the ignition systems used to fire them can vary.

Q. Is there noticeable difference as far as performance?

A. The ECU controls timing. If the timing is advanced, you may notice. I doubt you’d notice much between 91 and 93 octane fuel.