CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

My 722.6 mega-dollar transmission

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
My 722.6 mega-dollar transmission

I don’t start a lot of threads, but there’s a lull in the excitement, so here goes –

While on the freeway, I thought my CLK was stuck in gear yesterday. Nothing confirms being stuck in gear like getting off the freeway and pulling away from that first stoplight in fifth (or whatever torque robbing gear I was in). After a few miles, I reached my destination and parked. A few hours later, when I was ready to go home, I started the car and the problem had disappeared. After I got back home, I plugged my trusty code scanner and saw a P0715.

A P0715 means the input speed sensor has malfunctioned. The input speed sensor is in the transmission. Not “on”, but “in”. To get to it, you drop the transmission pan, remove the filter, remove the valve body, extract the plate that holds the input and output sensors, and then with the plate on the workbench, remove the sensor. Sounds easy enough, doesn’t it? How hard can it be? I’ve posted before that I hate taking ATF baths. Of course, I hate handing over boatloads of money to the dealer. Switching hands again, I’ve NEVER, EVER opened up an automatic transmission for repair. Why? Real transmission techs have more tools than NASA. On top of that, the 722 dot 6 requires that someone actually know what they’re doing. Just because I own a transmission jack doesn’t qualify me as a transmission tech. I could definitely remove the input speed sensor. I may be able to re-install it. Whether the transmission would work when I’m done is the tricky part.

Knowing my limits, I dropped the car at the dealer this morning. I am fully exposed as my CPO warrantee is expired. Yes, my (pre-paid) free ride is over. For some, when the warrantee expires, they refuse to utter the “D” word when considering repairs. They’ve been screwed in the past and that is one scenario they are never re-living. I may be naive, but I like my dealer. I do the regular service, and they do everything else. Besides, a new input speed sensor is only about $150. How much more could labor be? I’ve read where the plate that it’s on occasionally cracks and that’s why the sensor fails. A plate runs a little more than $500. And I might need a sensor or two on top of that. Of course, the speed sensor could have malfunctioned because 17 pounds of ground up bearings have turned my ATF into liquid metal, and that sensor was the first thing to short. If that’s the case, the dealer could tell me that five thousand dollars worth of transmission is toast. Plus labor.

They smiled a lot when I dropped the car. Could that be a sign? They loaned me a 2008 C-class “free of charge”, and nothing is free, so could this be a sign? Or are they good guys? It’s a slow Monday, so post back. Will my service writer tell me to rob a bank and bring in all the money? Will it be a moderate expense? Or will they top off the wiper fluid reservoir and tell me I’m good? I'll post back the initial estimate when they finally call me with the news.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
w208
damn marcus good luck...im sure they would see a transmission problem as a ticket to a lot of $$...i could be wrong though..but again good luck man
Old 07-14-2008, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Luck Marcus! You have helped me in the past with questions and i hope this turn out to be a simple fix.

As for the dealer, i never trust them. My GF's ML was stalling at the lights. My first thought was the CPS.... I was pooping bricks until i finally got the car diagnosis in.... 1 bad CPS!

I figured they would have said an new ECU was needed or the Flux capaciter overheated ..... I keep getting lucky (knock on wood) with my dealers being honest.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2002 CLK55 AMG cabriolet
These transmissions turn me into a nervous wreck when i'm driving. Some days I get in and say "Man, If it blows today i'll just have to laugh and pay up". Its a shot in the dark and could happen to any of us. Good luck Marcus
Old 07-15-2008, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Current: AMG GT-C. Sold: 01 CLK55, 00 ML55, 01 ML55, 06 E55
we wish you the best man....you've helped us out more than you even know. i would put my money on you getting bad news, but hopefully only in the form of an expensive (labor) bill. We will hope, however, for something small and simple!
Old 07-15-2008, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
I heard from the dealer. It won't be a mega-dollar transmission replacement. It's a cheap fix. Mercedes-Benz of Santa Clarita has never let me down. The absolute best dealer experience I've ever had. To top it off, I didn't even buy the car from them.

Regarding the car, the plate is busted, so they're replacing that. While they're at it, they'll do the infamous "transmission wiring harness o-ring job". Mine wasn’t leaking, but it’s a two dollar o-ring, so while they’re there, it only makes sense to change it. It's my understanding that when the o-ring leaks, ATF commonly finds it's way to the transmission control unit, and the metallic bits in the ATF fries the TCU. Naturally it's getting a fluid/filter change.

If anyone needs a GOOD DEALER, Mercedes-Benz of Santa Clarita has never let me down.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yo Momma
wow, very glad to hear that its not going to cost you alot.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yo Momma
i am actually going tomorrow for a wheel alignment...$150 plus tax
Old 07-15-2008, 03:08 AM

1999 CLK320 Convertible
I had the plate go bad and was receiving the P0715 as well ended up spending $450 for the plate, trans oil change, filter & gasket. I had the trans spacer (o-ring) replaced as well as oil was leaking through there. Car is running great ever since the problem was resolved.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Marcus,

How many miles on your CLK?
Old 07-15-2008, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by Chappy
Marcus,

How many miles on your CLK?
I'm at 117,500.

I asked how common this was, and my service writer said it doesn't happen to everyone, but its common enough that the techs are familiar with it. I was also able to confirm that the P0715 error can only be cleared with an SDS box. Which explains why I couldn't clear it with my code scanner. Even if I changed the plate in my garage, I'd have the code.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by MarcusF
I'm at 117,500.

I asked how common this was, and my service writer said it doesn't happen to everyone, but its common enough that the techs are familiar with it. I was also able to confirm that the P0715 error can only be cleared with an SDS box. Which explains why I couldn't clear it with my code scanner. Even if I changed the plate in my garage, I'd have the code.
Appreciate the feedback....need to drive mine a little more.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 CLK430
would the code go away after 4 key cycles though?

you had me scared for a moment, it would have sucked dishing out for another trans.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by charliev68
would the code go away after 4 key cycles though?

you had me scared for a moment, it would have sucked dishing out for another trans.
If by key cycles you mean [starting - driving - turning it off] four times, I don't know, it may. I cycled the ignition at least four times before trying to clear it, but I only drove it two places after the failure occurred.

On another note, in looking at my bill, the plate that I thought was $500, actually cost about $275. This transmission fluid change used 5 quarts (or is it liters?), versus the flush from two years ago, which was a lot more fluid. I think the capacity is 8.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2002 CLK55 AMG cabriolet
I'm glad all the good fortune you gave the rest of us came back around to you. I shat my pants on the way home today after hearing your story. Nice to know this has nothing to do with a tranny flush ;-) Rock on boss
Old 07-15-2008, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yo Momma
guess they raped me instead of you marcus lol, my mb dealership charged me $230.00 for my alignment here in brooklyn. FIrst they told me that the alignment will cost $150 so i took the car in the morning at 9 and they told me after two hours that they cant do the alignment because my wheels are too big so they told me that bring my stock wheels or put them on whatever i prefer so i brought my stock wheels and then after 4 hours they did the alignment and charged extra 60 dollars for taking the aftermarket wheels off and putting the stock ones back on and putting the rear aftermarket back on after alignment.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Current: AMG GT-C. Sold: 01 CLK55, 00 ML55, 01 ML55, 06 E55
wow, great deal marcus!
Old 07-15-2008, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by ZEEK
guess they raped me instead of you marcus lol, my mb dealership charged me $230.00 for my alignment here in brooklyn. FIrst they told me that the alignment will cost $150 so i took the car in the morning at 9 and they told me after two hours that they cant do the alignment because my wheels are too big so they told me that bring my stock wheels or put them on whatever i prefer so i brought my stock wheels and then after 4 hours they did the alignment and charged extra 60 dollars for taking the aftermarket wheels off and putting the stock ones back on and putting the rear aftermarket back on after alignment.
Two hundred and thirty dollars for an alignment? The last time I was in NY, I think I saw their tech -

It was Sovereign, right? If so, they have a real sense of humor. Their Service Specials webpage doesn't list any prices. How can someone figure out if their getting a deal if everything EXCEPT the price is listed? http://www.benznow.com/servicespecials.asp

East coast thievery, at it's best.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yo Momma
their prices are listed in the showroom, but the thing is they never told me that they will charge me that much extra. Not only east coast i think nyc should get the thieves of the year award...
Old 07-16-2008, 11:40 AM

2001 CLK 320
Exclamation

I have the same problem with my car, but its only happened to me twice since i got the car... the main problem is that once in a while the car seems to hop out of gear and to get it back into gear i have to put it in nuetral and back in drive...could this be the same senser you need replaced?
Old 07-16-2008, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by rjlawlor646
I have the same problem with my car, but its only happened to me twice since i got the car... the main problem is that once in a while the car seems to hop out of gear and to get it back into gear i have to put it in nuetral and back in drive...could this be the same senser you need replaced?
When you plug in the code scanner, what does it show as a failing code?
Old 07-16-2008, 11:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Wow, I just saw this. Glad you had a good experience with your dealer. I hate the stealers around here and do everything I can myself.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:29 AM

2000 CLK 430
Part Number?

My car is throwing the P0715 code. Would anyone be able to provide me with part number for the speed sensor. I have a 2000 CLK 430.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:40 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by MarcusF
I heard from the dealer. It won't be a mega-dollar transmission replacement. It's a cheap fix. Mercedes-Benz of Santa Clarita has never let me down. The absolute best dealer experience I've ever had. To top it off, I didn't even buy the car from them.

Regarding the car, the plate is busted, so they're replacing that. While they're at it, they'll do the infamous "transmission wiring harness o-ring job". Mine wasn’t leaking, but it’s a two dollar o-ring, so while they’re there, it only makes sense to change it. It's my understanding that when the o-ring leaks, ATF commonly finds it's way to the transmission control unit, and the metallic bits in the ATF fries the TCU. Naturally it's getting a fluid/filter change.

If anyone needs a GOOD DEALER, Mercedes-Benz of Santa Clarita has never let me down.
This is great news for you and good information for the rest of us. Especially your second paragraph. This Transmission cable connector thingy ($5) is the exact part that my indy warned me about (said it was goin bad). I ignored him and then my car started doin weird things transmission-wise. I had it changed out and the issues have disappeared. I've heard the O-rings aren't sold individually anymore (I can't confirmed this though). But regardless....good for you Marcus!
Old 04-20-2009, 02:43 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by wnycec
My car is throwing the P0715 code. Would anyone be able to provide me with part number for the speed sensor. I have a 2000 CLK 430.

Thanks in advance.

I think Marcus was saying that the plate that holds the sensors was busted. THAT is what affected the input speed sensor. You may need BOTH parts.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My 722.6 mega-dollar transmission