CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Need to find some Vogtland Springs>>>

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 01:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need to find some Vogtland Springs>>>

So after much debate with myself over the last couple of months, I have opted to keep my CLK and not buy a beater and EVO. It's been such a great car to me and every time I drive it I always skate the question through my mind, "Can I really get rid of this car?" I haven't had one problem with it and the BB value is a *******g insult to it's true value to sell it for what it lists.

I think I'm going to get a bike instead...anyhow.

Now I must go through with the lowering job and I want to use the Vogtland Springs. Anyone know where to order them for our W208s?

I also have a couple of questions about what I'm going to do. Since I have one of those CLKs that are higher in the front and lower in the back, I thinking about doing something different.

Need some opinions. Tell me if this will work or if it's a bad idea.

I was going to switch out the front springs with the Vogtland's and change the shocks to either the Bilstein Sports or I may even use the HDs. I like the way the back sets already, so I was going to leave the springs stock in the back and replace the factory shocks with the Bilstein HDs. I have about 120 lbs. or so in the back (stereo) and I think the HDs will eliminate the "squat" on a heavy bump or dip. I think it's possible, but give me help guys.

Well......

Last edited by falls profet; 07-19-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
E55 AMG (SOLD), EvoSport CLK (SOLD), 2013 GsxR 750 (SOLD)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-S...spagenameZWD1V
Old 07-20-2008, 02:23 AM

Thanks a lot! I wonder if the KYBs are any good? I've read mixed reviews.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55 / E350 Coupe
don't put KYB on your benz.
Go with Bilstein or if you want less expensive and adjustable go with Koni.

I've always perfered Bilstein even with Koni's adjustability.

I would not use different set of shocks front and back. Geometry of the car will be really out of wack and definatlly will ride funny with your projected setup. Just go with Vogtland springs and Bilstein Sport. HD are designed for stock spring length may cause premature wear with shorter springs. Sports are for shorter springs compression and shaft size is set to be paired with shorter springs.

If you want it higher in the back just use taller spring pads. CLK have already a raked look so if you wheel gap is the same back and front, it will apear slightly raked. Use caution too much rake the car won't handle to par as i had experanced on my 190e, which got corrected from a #3 to #1 pad in back. Very noticable change how to car handled.

Last edited by GiZzO; 07-20-2008 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:16 PM

I was hoping you would reply to this thread Gizzo. You're the only CLK guy that runs the Vogtland's that I know of on this board.

What spring pad set up are you using on your 55 and where did you get your springs from? The guy on Ebay won't let me know if I can just buy the springs and not the shocks so I need an alternative. Also, how is your ride compared to stock and do you like it?

I assumed most would say not to use different shocks in the front and back, and I guess I already knew the answer to that as well. Never should do it; I figured I would ask anyway. The only reason that I thought this might be feasible is because I remember reading that the Vogtland springs are longer than H&Rs. NOT meaning longer as in higher, but there is more coil to the spring itself than compared to Eibachs or H&Rs.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 SL55
I had bilstein sport shocks and vogtland lowerings springs on my 320...ride was perfect! i loved it...my car was totaled, but i still have the parts and will sell them cheap...had on car for less than a year...if u want to buy new ones i bought them on ebay for about 450 bucks! seller was tech deals or something...
Old 07-21-2008, 12:06 AM

CLK55 / E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by falls profet
I was hoping you would reply to this thread Gizzo. You're the only CLK guy that runs the Vogtland's that I know of on this board.

What spring pad set up are you using on your 55 and where did you get your springs from? The guy on Ebay won't let me know if I can just buy the springs and not the shocks so I need an alternative. Also, how is your ride compared to stock and do you like it?

I assumed most would say not to use different shocks in the front and back, and I guess I already knew the answer to that as well. Never should do it; I figured I would ask anyway. The only reason that I thought this might be feasible is because I remember reading that the Vogtland springs are longer than H&Rs. NOT meaning longer as in higher, but there is more coil to the spring itself than compared to Eibachs or H&Rs.
I love em, highly recommend them. Im guessing cause of the more coils the spring tension is more varible. I bought the springs from a local performance shop and i bought the shocks off ebay.

Heres one place i found:
http://www.autoaccessorystore.com/ho...izard=&s=&mid=

As far as pads i think im running #3 front #4 rear. Springs are only a few months old once it settles i would might do some adjustments i would like the rear to sit lower. So i may go down too #1. There is no answer what pad to use, same cars will sit different. Start with what you have or go high or low depending on preference let the car settle and adjust if necessary.

Last edited by GiZzO; 07-21-2008 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:43 PM

SS Minnow Johnson
it took a lot research to find out the best set up for suspension with my clk and i already had springs from lorinser aka eibach. i cut a full coil on them and replaced the stockers for koni adj. CLKFAN gave me the advice on this. wat a wonderful decision i made you can see pics of my car on the pic thread. but my car runs amazing around corners and has lil rebound to keep its feet on the ground. the konis i run on the hardest setting. H&R springs with konis and H&R sway bars front and rear is the best set up IMO. good hunting!!!