CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Noise from back/underside of car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happy owner of '98 CLK 320
Noise from back/underside of car

Hi.

I recently began noticing noises from the car, noises that are definatly not meant to be
Please help if you have any idea what it can be.

The source of the noice, seems to be originating somewhere from behind the front seats, perhaps under the back seats. Sometimes it seems to originate in the drivers side, sometimes in the middle (still in the back of the car though). Its not possible for me to locate it specificly.

The type of noise is pretty consistent, allthough it varies a bit in strength. It is a mixture of a whooing/spinning/murring sort.

The first time I heard it, was just after I floored the gaspedal, getting kick-down and lots of acceleration. Even though I stopped the car, the sound was still there, even in parked. Only when shutting down the engine did it stop. It didnt come back for a few weeks.

Now I usually get the sound every time I accellerate after a few minutes of driving. Sometimes, I think it apears after hitting a bump in the road, though it might just be because my foot lightly tapped the gaspedal in those situations.

I have discovered, that I can sometimes "turn off" the noise, by doing kick-down again, but it doesnt work all the time (less and less it seems) and it definatly not a solution.

I am concerned the sound may be trying to tell me that something very expensive is about to break, unfortunatly it seems my dealer has no obligations as I bought the car more than 6 months ago (I have culpa, so I would have to have a mechanic declare the fault was allready there when I bought the car, if I want a chance of putting the repairbill on the dealer).
Unfortunatly, I dont know a good mechanic I can trust, and if I go to a mechanic not knowing what the problem is, I am gonna be shredded for cash.

So... please, pretty please.. do any of you guys and girls have an idea about that problem could be causing the sound?

Wobert

Last edited by Wobert; 07-25-2008 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:57 PM

SS Minnow Johnson
ive been hearing sum strange noises from clk also around the same area more like under the right rear seat. but usually only occurs after its sitting on a steep incline....
Old 07-28-2008, 03:48 AM

Ack, new symptom.
Now the noise is allready there sometimes, from the moment I start the car.

I am thinking that it must originate from the mechanics driving the hind wheels round.

Does anyone know if there is a seperate oil for this part and where you can check it, or if its part of the normal engine oil system?

Wobert
Old 08-01-2008, 08:53 AM

bumping thread.
There has got to be some of you with suggestions for what the problem could be?

Wobert
Old 08-01-2008, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 clk55 AMG
If you have the noise when the car is not moving it could be the exhaust.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:24 AM

does it sound like a soda can rolling around if so its your heatshield between you exhaust line and car body
Old 08-03-2008, 02:54 PM

I think the sound is more of a whoooing sound than the sound of a rolling can.
I will take a close look at my exhaust and the stuff near it.
Thanks for the suggestions so far

Wobert
Old 08-03-2008, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
Originally Posted by Wobert
...Does anyone know if there is a seperate oil for this part and where you can check it, or if its part of the normal engine oil system? Wobert
Your differential has it's own oil reservoir, but I don't know how to check it.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by BlackOnBlackCLK
If you have the noise when the car is not moving it could be the exhaust.
Exactly.

Forget the diff. The diff won't make any noise when starting the car.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:54 AM

clk 430
suggest the problem is a rattle in a cat converter.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:28 AM

The sounds is far from a rattle.
It sounds much more like a ghost in a cartoon or other childrens program, mixed with something spinning very fast.
Strangely enough, I havent heard the sound since people suggested it might originate from the exhaust system.
Don't know if the weather has anything to do with it. Its been cold and wet for a long time now, but when I heard the sound, the weather was usually very hot.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Wobert
Old 08-27-2008, 01:17 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 E450
Wink

If it is the sound that I think your talking about. I might have a similar problem. It causes no problems for me, but it does make me curious. Here is what I want you to do:

1. Turn all sounds off. Engine, radio, etc.
2. Pop trunk (IMPORTANT) listen very carefully and you will hear a whining noise just before the trunk pops open. Is this the sound that you are talking about.

I have a 'MMMMMMMMMMooommmm' sound when I do this. Normal while opening trunk, but not sure if it should be doing this when car is just sitting there. It does it randomly. I'm not very worried about it. Just seeing if you have the same noise.

I've heard of people talking about a "SAM unit" (??) thats back in the right side of trunk. Not sure if this helps, but might narrow down sound.

John
Old 09-12-2008, 04:05 AM

CLS 320 CDI
Hi Wobert,

Itīs something to do with the fuel filter/pump. I posted the same question on this board about a year ago when my CLK had the same problem. Though nobody could help back then.

It was a constant whining sound, reasonably loud - like an electrical appliance.
Most often it started after kick down - and stopped either the next time i braked or when i turned the car off. A few times it happened when starting the car in the morning. The sound eminated from under the car just behind the drivers seat.

My mechanic fixed it for me - but as he is Swedish and Iīm a Danish speaking Brit, I didnīt quite understand exactly what the fix was - but it wasnīt expensive.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:54 PM

2002 CLK 430
Originally Posted by Wobert
Hi.

So... please, pretty please.. do any of you guys and girls have an idea about that problem could be causing the sound?

Wobert

Next door CAT ???

Last edited by J56BP; 09-12-2008 at 04:56 PM.